All-Star Csp Tweet: No More Travelling For Cea Teams.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to applaud CSP for making this stance against Stay to Play insanity... I believe NCA and UCA have this monopoly policy in place... I was so pissed that NCA force parents to pay all cost upfront with no refund policy in place, in addition, my daughter's team finished early on Sunday, but guess what? Stay to Play hotels force everyone to stay until Monday without exceptions and you must pay or lose your money if you leave early...

PS: Stay to Play is nothing but Arm Robbery and they are not even using a gun, either!

I think people are only thinking of the Worlds teams.

A Worlds team parent whose kid is looking into CEA MIGHT side-eye not being able to go to UCA or NCA. Those are big comps. NCA in particular.

However, the "driving distance only" thing is a potentially HUGE selling point for lower levels.

If you're, say, the mom of a Y1 or 2 who is in her formative/early years of cheer and just kind of "trying it," the idea of air travel comps is really not something you're super thrilled about.

You may want your kid to get the all star experience (like, not on an all star prep team or half-year) without costly air travel/STP.

We normally would travel for worlds bid comps. And mainly because if you get a paid bid you go straight to semis

Personally I feel like one and done is the same whether you're one and done in prelims or one and done in semis.

Most times u spend more traveling than the $ you get for the paid bid.

Traditionally CEA lower levels do the local 1-day comps and have 1-2 overnight big trips (think CheerSport/ Battle at the Beach). Fabulous for people who want to have fun and not spend a ton. Her Elite teams usually travel more- and that is understood when you make those teams. If I remember correctly, at tryouts we had to indicate if we wanted the 'fun' team or the 'competitive' team. CP chose competitive. This year- Lady Elite had the highest comp fees in the gym followed by..... Wait for it..... Youth Elite. But SE and Coed have the LA trip immediately after UCA which makes March tight money- wise. I know SE and Coed parents have been discussing this, so it has a lot to do with that. Plus we have missed 7 days of school due to snow/ice plus comp days. That's a lot!

ETA: lady elite has Vegas the weekend after UCA too. Then to the beach gym wide.

I love NCA so I'm in no way bashing it, but WHEN did NCA become a requirement? Yes NCA has always been a big competition, but until just a few years ago it wasn't this competition that you had to go to or all of your high level kids would leave. Working at a gym that was constantly given the pressure to go to NCA because the other local gyms go and kids will jump ship really opened my eyes to it. I commend her as an owner for saying enough. There is a lot of pressure from the parents to do all of these big comps and then there you have to deal with complaints that its so much money. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The biggest thing is longevity. Yes parents may be on board this year and maybe next, but a lot of families can't afford 4-12 years of a $5000+ a year sport for ONE child. It's getting ridiculous and I'm thrilled to see a big gym put a halt on it. There is plenty of good competition in driving distance for this region and the need to fly across the county isn't something you have to do when you can see the majority of those teams a lot closer to home.

I love NCA so I'm in no way bashing it, but WHEN did NCA become a requirement? Yes NCA has always been a big competition, but until just a few years ago it wasn't this competition that you had to go to or all of your high level kids would leave. Working at a gym that was constantly given the pressure to go to NCA because the other local gyms go and kids will jump ship really opened my eyes to it. I commend her as an owner for saying enough. There is a lot of pressure from the parents to do all of these big comps and then there you have to deal with complaints that its so much money. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The biggest thing is longevity. Yes parents may be on board this year and maybe next, but a lot of families can't afford 4-12 years of a $5000+ a year sport for ONE child. It's getting ridiculous and I'm thrilled to see a big gym put a halt on it. There is plenty of good competition in driving distance for this region and the need to fly across the county isn't something you have to do when you can see the majority of those teams a lot closer to home.

I feel like NCA has been a big deal since way before a couple years ago, though. At least to most people.

Before Worlds/levels/etc., NCA was the culminating event for most.

Gyms could also use points to pay for coaches rooms, or comp a room to a needy family or two. This is also driving up the gym owners costs. Along with forcing you to stay at some really crazy priced hotels.
I was able to use points and use the housing for NCA. Can coaches not do that?

I feel like NCA has been a big deal since way before a couple years ago, though. At least to most people.

Before Worlds/levels/etc., NCA was the culminating event for most.
Yes NCA has always been a big comp, but I personally think that the creation of Worlds has made it become an even bigger deal year after year. Prior to worlds, NCA and UCA were pretty equal with NCA being a little bigger. When worlds came about, UCA went downhill because who really wants to go to Disney back to back, especially if thats not a close comp to begin with. NCA has only grown, and really within the last maybe 5 or 6 years has really gotten to the level its at now. Just my personal opinion and observations.

Latest posts

Back