All-Star Csp Tweet: No More Travelling For Cea Teams.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP was pretty young back then, but now that you mention it, I think I do remember a comp or two where the kids met at the gym and traveled together. I think gyms are also less likely to operate this way when you can get the parents to transport the kids. Additionally, with STP and booking rewards for more rooms, gyms are probably less inclined to take the whole job on themselves.

My current team runs a bus when comps are not in wales which is 3 out of 4 comps. They also book hotels for us if we need them and that is only 2 out of 4 comps. We have a choice to travel with them or not for the first comp I chose my own travel plans as I was going to make a weekend trip instead of arriving home at 4am.

This thread makes me scared for when my son gets older and he starts getting into activities. I am just praying he doesn't want to play hockey because I am not ready to sell a kidney for him to play not to mention the 5:00am practices in a cold arena

I've got one in hockey and one starting allstar cheer this year. Just start saving now. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would never, ever send my child off on a plane without me. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? How old is your child? It's hard at first...like watching them drive off that first time alone at 16. My youngest has the advantage of having older sibs who have paved the path for him to be a jet setting unaccompanied minor ;) (he loves it. I still hyperventilate until the plane lands)

Really? How old is your child? It's hard at first...like watching them drive off that first time alone at 16. My youngest has the advantage of having older sibs who have paved the path for him to be a jet setting unaccompanied minor ;) (he loves it. I still hyperventilate until the plane lands)
Not even my 17yr old son is allowed to travel without a parent. My husband is firmly against it. We paid double the cost for his ticket to Atlanta so he could ride in same plane as myself and his sister. I probably would have been ok with him going on the same fight as one of my cheer friends however my husband flat out refused to consider it.

When I cheered my sophomore and junior years my mom wouldn't go to every out of town competition. She is a nurse and worked a lot of weekends at the time. Plus I was old enough to take care of myself and get myself ready to compete. I had a close friend I would travel with and my mom would pay my part of the room. Her mom always went so I was always under the care of an adult.

She also sent me to one competition with my dad who really knew nothing about cheer or what he was doing there in general. And low and behold that's the one competition I ended up in the ER after, lol

Not even my 17yr old son is allowed to travel without a parent. My husband is firmly against it. We paid double the cost for his ticket to Atlanta so he could ride in same plane as myself and his sister. I probably would have been ok with him going on the same fight as one of my cheer friends however my husband flat out refused to consider it.

If 17yo was in college would the same rule about traveling alone apply?

I'll be honest, based on my upbringing this sounds weird to me. I totally respect it as it is your decision.

**What if gofundme included a double your money back performance clause?**

My mom has never sent me to a competition alone, but if we were really in a pickle she would. I think it's partially being worried but more so that she wants to be supportive! (Not saying parents that send their kids alone aren't supportive) She's not super in to cheer but comps are our time together and it's pretty much the only time she sees me cheer bc I drive myself to practice. I feel like it's been a good bonding experience for us. It's just the two of us at comps, which doesn't happen often. I'm one of 5 kids so paying admission for 6 people would be expensive.
I've never flown alone but I've flown without a parent (with the journalism staff) and my sister flew alone at my age so they wouldn't have an issue with it, but I think she would only do it if there was absolutely no room in our budget for her to come.
Granted, I've never been at a gym that travels a lot (perks of being right in between two big cities each 2 hours away) so no flights and only 1 or 2 hotel stays a year.

Is your son named bob james? Because if so he joined FB today solely to give you a dislike rating! Lol.

I don't know if I could send my kid on a plane without me but thankfully I'm not there yet. I think it would realistically depend on my kid -their maturity level, street smarts and who I was sending them with. Right or wrong I would be more apt to send my son alone than if I had a daughter solely for the risk factor. And I say that as a women who traveled Europe completely on her own at the age of 19 ( what were my parents thinking? I guess I was an adult but still). I remember distinctly several instances of being really uncomfortable and rather frightened when being on my own. Thankfully, I'm pretty street smart and knew what I needed to do and figured out pretty quickly what to do and not to do.

Omg Jaylen has flew on a plane more by herselfat the ages of 7 and 8 than we have flown together. (and when I say by herself I mean only her .. I have to pay the unaccompanied minor fee every time.. Someone has to sign for her to get her off) She usually flys alone. We have only flown together twice! She actually loves it lol

If 17yo was in college would the same rule about traveling alone apply?

I'll be honest, based on my upbringing this sounds weird to me. I totally respect it as it is your decision.

**What if gofundme included a double your money back performance clause?**

He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago. It has been a challenge for him to adjust to this "new normal" for him and even more so for his father. Honestly my husband is so fearful that some medical catastrophe will strike his boy that if it were up to him I don't think he would even allow our son to drive himself to school. I would have been ok with my son taking a flight with one of my cheer mom friends from the gym...my husband was just not ok with him traveling without a parent.

Last edited:
He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago. It has been a challenge for him to adjust to this "new normal" for him and even more so for his father. Honestly my husband is so fearful that some medical catastrophe will strike his boy that if it were up to him I don't think he would even our son drive himself to school. I would have been ok with my son taking a flight with one of my cheer mom friends from the gym...my husband was just not ok with him traveling without a parent.

That is completely understandable!!!!

I totally understand! To this day I am still FLOORED that my mother allowed me to fly from Tallahassee, Fl to Atlanta, GA to meet my grandparents "half-way" so they didn't have to drive all the way from Oak Ridge, TN. They (my grandparents) wanted me to fly the whole way, but my mom wouldn't let me switch planes- which was a requirement at the time to get to Knoxville (back then anyway!). I loved it! It was like a rollercoaster, lol.

Anyway, my mother had this crazy notion back then about Middle Eastern terrorists hijacking a plane :confused:... the irony. I was 9 and it was 1986 when I flew.

In retrospect, especially knowing my mom, no freakin wonder!!-
In 1972 hijackers threatened to attack Oak Ridge, TN (in case anyone doesn't know there's a nuclear facility there....aka home of the first atomic bomb), even more specifically, threatened to fly the plane into their nuclear reactor.
Then in 1974 another Delta flight was hijacked in Atlanta in an apparent assassination attempt on President Nixon, and there continued to be several hijackings throughout the 70's and 80's...and wait for it, January of 1987 a plane was hijacked in the U.S. by Muslim who was intending to fly the plane into The White House. I had no idea at the time, being 10yrs old. Needless to say I wasn't allowed to fly on my own anymore.

Aside from plane hijackings, I'm actually more concerned to just let my child in any crowded place w/o constant adult supervision- and an airport is one of the worst considering how busy they are and how, for the most part, everyone's in a hurry. Easy to snatch a kid, cop a feel, etc. w/o anyone noticing.

Back