High School Different coaches for basketball and football- Need advice!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2022
I have been head cheer coach for 5 years. I have an assistant who handles JV and one who handles freshmen. This year my JV assistant told the AD that she was going to quit if we didn't make the workload less. The AD decided that we should split the seasons. She would handle all summer practices and football season and I would handle basketball.
I am upset that as head coach I was not given any say in how the seasons were split. I have spent the 5 years trying to build the program as a whole. This would make both of us head coaches.
I also want to know if any other program is run this way. To me it seems odd to have the same squad for both seasons but two different head coaches.

It happens in a few places. But the AD should have still spoken with you about the idea. Are you supposed to her assistant for Football? How does that work?

No. We would work alone for each season. We would each be responsible for Varsity and JV during our respective seasons. But I opposed this and yesterday they asked me to resign. :-(

I have been head cheer coach for 5 years. I have an assistant who handles JV and one who handles freshmen. This year my JV assistant told the AD that she was going to quit if we didn't make the workload less. The AD decided that we should split the seasons. She would handle all summer practices and football season and I would handle basketball.
I am upset that as head coach I was not given any say in how the seasons were split. I have spent the 5 years trying to build the program as a whole. This would make both of us head coaches.
I also want to know if any other program is run this way. To me it seems odd to have the same squad for both seasons but two different head coaches.
Wow. This situation reeks of favoritism—a scenario I’m all too familiar with. I’m really sorry this happened to you.

You're right, you should’ve been included in any and all meetings/ negotiations.IMNSHO, this is highly inappropriate, and if you want to make a formal complaint to school administrators (or even the school system HR department), I think you have sufficient grounds to do so.

PS: A lot of small, rural schools have the same squads for football and basketball (boys and girls). Some schools even rotate groups of cheerleaders to cheer at volleyball games and wrestling matches.

Latest posts

Back