All-Star Do You Think We Need Tighter Security At Cheerleading Competitions Because Of Recent Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Regardless of whatever theories anyone has on EotS and what it "teaches" I will never have one in my house for the sole reason that I think that little elf is creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reeeeallly hoping it dies by the time I have kids (I have a while lol I'm 18) not because it's creepy (to me)just because I think it's dumb... Like I'm not judging people who do it or calling you dumb, I swear, I just don't really get it or have any desire to do it. So hopefully it's not a thing and if it still is I may need to make up a little story about why the elf doesn't come to our house. Because I'm not about it. Now advent calendars I'm all about so don't be surprised if I have like 50 when I'm a real adult lol

Regardless of whatever theories anyone has on EotS and what it "teaches" I will never have one in my house for the sole reason that I think that little elf is creepy.

I think it's creepy too and would never use it unless my hypothetical-kids-I'm-never-having had an interest in it. Then I would probably do it. (It kind of reminds me of Annabelle or Chucky. Not the real-life Annabelle, the movie Annabelle.) If parents enjoy it and like doing it for their kids, then do it. If it's a holiday tradition for a new family, I'm all about that.

But the theory is whack and it sounds like a complete overreaction.

We voluntarily carry around our own GPS device that can track our every move, has our finger prints saved, our bank and credit information, friends, relatives, pictures, calendar, addresses, camera.... all of which are able to be hacked..... and this professor is worried about an elf doll preparing our kids to live in a future police state? Sounds reasonable. ;)

Reeeeallly hoping it dies by the time I have kids (I have a while lol I'm 18) not because it's creepy (to me)just because I think it's dumb... Like I'm not judging people who do it or calling you dumb, I swear, I just don't really get it or have any desire to do it. So hopefully it's not a thing and if it still is I may need to make up a little story about why the elf doesn't come to our house. Because I'm not about it. Now advent calendars I'm all about so don't be surprised if I have like 50 when I'm a real adult lol

You can borrow my approach...I was utterly ill prepared for my children to ask me why we didn't have one in our house so I quickly blurted out that the Elf only visits homes of misbehaving children because they need the extra attention. Pro, my kids never asked about it again. Con, they have side-eyed every single house we've entered with an Elf since then. Whoops!

You can borrow my approach...I was utterly ill prepared for my children to ask me why we didn't have one in our house so I quickly blurted out that the Elf only visits homes of misbehaving children because they need the extra attention. Pro, my kids never asked about it again. Con, they have side-eyed every single house we've entered with an Elf since then. Whoops!

Haha. The EOS in our house is strictly here for mischief. The Elf doesn't report back to Santa for bad behavior. Santa also isn't "all-knowing" in our house. CP knows that she has to have good behavior year-round because that is what is expected of her and it is the right thing to do... Not because some mythical person is watching her and won't give her gifts if she is bad.

And the elf only comes a week before Christmas... She heads to Cabo for a couple weeks before visiting our house.

If you think the Elf on the Shelf is creepy, you should hear about Krampus. I tried to keep the Krampus tale out of our home because I think he is a creepy fellow and I remember being more scared of Krampus than anything else in my childhood. Unfortunately, the Krampus tale is hard to escape for us. Being Austrian, Krampus is closely tied with St. Nikolaus. My family harps on good behavior or a visit visit from Krampus to the little ones. And CP's nanny told her about the Krampus visits she had when she was a child. Every year we tell CP that Krampus is just a made up tale to scare children into behaving for their parents. And every year I think she doesn't fully believe me. I don't blame her. He really is creepy.

Situational awareness can go a long way and doesn't involve raising a generation complacent with fear mongering and surveillance. That's why I HATE that stupid "Elf on a Shelf". You're teaching children at a young age that being watched is okay and if you don't fight it you get a present.
I hate Elf on the Shelf. It's creepy and just one more unnecessary thing to do in an already too busy time of year. I don't understand why the elves have to cause trouble and make messes? If the point is for the kids to be good, why are the elves bad? And better question why do these parents have all this extra time to make elf messes only to clean them up at this time of year? I will never have one in my house. Hopefully future children don't come home from a friends wanting to know why they have an elf and we don't.

Last edited:
We voluntarily carry around our own GPS device that can track our every move, has our finger prints saved, our bank and credit information, friends, relatives, pictures, calendar, addresses, camera.... all of which are able to be hacked..... and this professor is worried about an elf doll preparing our kids to live in a future police state? Sounds reasonable. ;)
Sad part is, I was reading this thinking that you and your family have some special GPS device that you put all this info on, and I'm thinking that's nuts why would they need to have that. Then about half way through the sentence I realized you were talking about everyone and our phones. I clearly just need to go to sleep!

Haha. The EOS in our house is strictly here for mischief. The Elf doesn't report back to Santa for bad behavior. Santa also isn't "all-knowing" in our house. CP knows that she has to have good behavior year-round because that is what is expected of her and it is the right thing to do... Not because some mythical person is watching her and won't give her gifts if she is bad.

And the elf only comes a week before Christmas... She heads to Cabo for a couple weeks before visiting our house.

If you think the Elf on the Shelf is creepy, you should hear about Krampus. I tried to keep the Krampus tale out of our home because I think he is a creepy fellow and I remember being more scared of Krampus than anything else in my childhood. Unfortunately, the Krampus tale is hard to escape for us. Being Austrian, Krampus is closely tied with St. Nikolaus. My family harps on good behavior or a visit visit from Krampus to the little ones. And CP's nanny told her about the Krampus visits she had when she was a child. Every year we tell CP that Krampus is just a made up tale to scare children into behaving for their parents. And every year I think she doesn't fully believe me. I don't blame her. He really is creepy.
Wow LOL. So Krampus is really a fictitious character and not just some creepy movie?

Wow LOL. So Krampus is really a fictitious character and not just some creepy movie?
Supernatural. Season 3, episode 8.

EOS reminds me of the doll from Trilogy of Terror. If you've never heard of that movie or seen it, it is on YT. Used to terrorize my brother and me yet we still watched it whenever it was on tv.

The argument is similar and not in the same breath. Yes Santa and 'God' (or variations depending upon the religion practices) look down on us to 'watch' behavior, the Elf is a physical thing in your house that children can watch as it 'watches' them. That is an entirely different form of surveillance that Santa and most religious figures don't have in common.

We don't use it for behavior. It was brought in to my youngest son preschool class and he asked why one wasn't at home and really wanted one. It is basically a hide and seek game. All my kids like finding the elf every morning. It is fun for them. I am a slacker and don't want to make and clean up messes, so our elf just hides. My biggest issue with it is remembering to move and hide the elf before going to bed.

EOS reminds me of the doll from Trilogy of Terror. If you've never heard of that movie or seen it, it is on YT. Used to terrorize my brother and me yet we still watched it whenever it was on tv.

Poltergeist scared the snot out of me as a kid. I was terrified of mirrored closet doors and closets with lights in them for a long time. When house hunting I refused one house because of the mirrored closet doors. It just made me uncomfortable.

Poltergeist scared the snot out of me as a kid. I was terrified of mirrored closet doors and closets with lights in them for a long time. When house hunting I refused one house because of the mirrored closet doors. It just made me uncomfortable.
Trees in the dark remind me of the one off Poltergeist (the tree when it gets up, moves around and scares everyone) I was taking photos of things at night once, and I was going through filters and I picked black and white for a tree photo, then realised how creepy it looked.
I HATE creepy little dolls so much, their innocence just scares me ahaha, Elf on the Shelf reminds me of one of those! If it was like, say, a teddy bear or a reindeer I wouldn't be as creeped out.

I've heard of the movie but never watched it and never will. Not because it's scary but because of what it represents.

The supernatural episode is it the one where Santa eats people?

**Suzie's asking for her double for Christmas**

Latest posts

Back