All-Star Ex-cheer Coach In Boca Raton, Fl Arrested

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Pulled these from the articles

"Police began investigating the unlawful sexual activity allegation when the incident was reported to authorities in August of last year."

"When she eventually told the owners in June 2011, Venditto was fired."

According to this he was fired last year. So my question is still this: Did the gym where this happened report it or did the girl wait until she was 18 to do it herself.

Either that or the article's have misinformation and the investigation has only been going on for 5 months not 17 months.

Either way, forgive me if I'm wrong, as a facility that works with minors, aren't they required to go to authorities with this information?

This could all be lies by a jilted teen but as gym owners don't they have/feel a responsibility to report it and let the police investigate it?

Apparently, Florida has one of the toughest mandatory reporting requirements:
Child Sex Abuse Reporting Bill Signed Into Law | TheLedger.com

I'm reading the comments from the above article listed- One of the parents mentioned that he's just 'a big kid himself.' Am I the only one that, supposing I had a child, would NOT want that 'type' of person leading my children In any activity? Or am I just being overly critical? Poor choice of wording, perhaps. But for my future children, and when I myself am coaching/teaching, I look to be someone who is respected and trusted. Not 'one of the gang.' You can't really lead that way..

kristenthegreat , I trust certain coaches with certain things. When it comes to tumbling properly, I could care less if Coach Billy Jim plays XBox all day long, as long as he teaches my kids well and shows them how to perform safely and fiercely.
That's hardly going to bother me- my adult uncles play Wii with us during family gatherings. My mother is rather proficient at DDR..but that's neither here nor there..

Maybe the connotation I have when I hear 'So-and-so is a big kid' is that fundamental lack of care that can often lead to unsafety..

I'll play devils advocate....

Has there been a trial and conviction yet, or are these arrests and allegations at this point (which may be entirely true....or not)?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen one too many good looking, male teachers with their life/career turned upside down over false accusations that he couldn't defend for the mere fact he was a male and he's guilty before proven innocent. And this is one of the few charges in this country where that reversal of the "American way" seems par for the course.

The last one happened over a girl who asked him out, and he told her no...so, she got mad and leveled allegations. Was he vindicated when the truth came out...yes. Did he have a nightmare to live through and isn't teaching anymore, yes. Did he do a single thing wrong...no. He, in fact, made her mad by turning her down.

So, feel free to speculate, deride, vilify and whatever other verb you'd like to use, (they all may turn out to be very warranted) but in my case...I think I'll wait for a conviction (which requires proof) to pass judgement. Right now, it's just allegations and just because there are multiple ones doesn't (necessarily) lend weight to them.

Flame away.
Good point. Well said.

Ok, so either I'm totally confused or there is a whole lot of talking going on in Palm Beach out of both sides of the media's mouths.

So the three articles the OP linked all stated that the investigation started last year. One even stated that he was fired in June of 2011. Then you read the comments and their they state that he was fired June 2012. That's a BIG difference!!! One shows quick action and the other shows a whole lot of feet dragging.

Part of me says that the gym is back peddling trying to cover up not taking action when they should have. Another part of me is thinking that the media in FL is no better then CBS here in the ATL area.

If it comes out that the owners did know years ago, will the parents who are so strongly defending their gym still keep their kids there?

Honestly the comments seem like parents that left and the owners defending themselves. Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

At this point my hope is that the kids in the program and affected by this are ok and that the parents really take a good look at this situation. Just because a coach is well liked and in the movies doesn't mean they can do no wrong. Actually when I read that whole part I was just like - really that's your defense for him and why he couldn't have possibly done this?

So how do we get the USASF to enforce a mandatory background check and possibly the other program mentioned on here that updates nightly?

How do we also make sure kids that this is happening to stand up for themselves and report these things?

Just because a coach is well liked and in the movies doesn't mean they can do no wrong. Actually when I read that whole part I was just like - really that's your defense for him and why he couldn't have possibly done this?

So how do we get the USASF to enforce a mandatory background check and possibly the other program mentioned on here that updates nightly?

How do we also make sure kids that this is happening to stand up for themselves and report these things?
In order:
Two Words- Roman Polanski

I suppose it starts with member gyms, maybe some official web banner/window decal that they can put on their gym that says 'Background Check Certified'. Make it an 'advertising' point, where gyms can say 'Come to us- we take that extra step to make sure your child is safe!' If it's a matter of funds, somehow attach it to membership dues? This is one particular area I'm sure parents won't mind paying for. The protection of our children (present and future) is priceless.

As for the third, there is no guarantee. Grown adult women have a hard enough time saying something, there's not much you can do that's going to make it easier for 14 year old girls (or guys!). The very thing that perpetuates the cycle (the suppression of what is going on as 'No big deal' or 'a misunderstanding'), is the same way the mind protects itself from the trauma of what's actually happening. The best you can do is give them a supportive, loving, open environment both at home and in the gym. Then hope that when they're ready to tell you, they will have the confidence. Also remind them that nothing is worth sacrificing themselves for, even a trip to Worlds.

I'll tell you how I feel about this. Disgusted. Disgusted that the majority of the people on this forum would rather demonize legitimate cheerleading organizations unrightfully, than speak out against the real demons of our sport.

The comments in the first story I'm linking to are appalling. Parents and gym owners KNEW this coach was a problem? Athletes did not want to come forward because they didn't want to ruin the chances of their team going to championships? More victims are expected to come forward?

Come on! With stuff like this coming on, who cares if gyms are giving kids scholarships to come cheer with them or not.

Boca Raton cheerleading coach charged with sexual battery | www.palmbeachpost.com

Michael Venditto: Former cheerleading coach stands charged with lascivious battery - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Ex-Coach Accused Of Having Sex With Teen Cheerleaders « CBS Miami

I don't mean to be rude, but did you happen to read that it was one of the females who were actually victimized who said those comments to the police?

Per the second article-
Over the next two years, between 2009 and 2011, the teen and Venditto allegedly had sexual contact more than a dozen times. The sexual contact ended in April or May 2011.
In an interview, detectives asked the teen why she didn't immediately tell the owners of Palm Beach Lightning.
"She didn't want to ruin going to the 'World Championship' for the other girls on the team," the report says.

The reason that part irritates me is bc do you know what it's like for young girls who are sexually assaulted, raped, and/or verbally abused in situations like this?!! They DON'T want anyone to know; they often THINK it's THEIR fault, often the victimizer uses STRATEGIES to get the victim not to talk/tell anyone (you know, something like, "if you told on me it would cause all these other people an extraordinary loss", or "I could lose this or that-family, the gym, etc"). It's part of what pedophiles, rapists, etc. use...ESPECIALLY if they're someone close to the victim!!!

Now you very well may have good intentions by trying to "inform" and "educate" us about this and for that we're thankful....but can you please stop and think about the context in which you choose to address it? When I read it (and reread it), it certainly felt like you were saying, "I can't believe this kid didn't come forward bc of fear of not going to worlds!", or "I can't believe someone else who knew what was going on didn't come forward bc they wanted to go to worlds, etc." not "I'm so angry and upset that he chose to victimize her in a way that he thought might ensure her silence".

Perhaps if you would have just left anything besides this actual atrocity out of the thread it might have sounded and/or come across differently, idk. That's the only thing that belongs in this thread IMO...what actually happened to these girls, the gym involved, etc.

But those of us ON THE BOARDS have said time and time again, that we don't leave our children alone in the company of coaches, for this reason exactly, regardless how much we trust them. So maybe a more effective approach would be to figure out how you can go outside this forum to bring attention to an issue that gym owners, for one, don't really want to talk about, because it may negatively impact their business, and the USASF, for two, doesn't want to talk about, because it may negatively impact the sport, and random cheer parents, for three, don't want to talk about because it involves the possible thought of sexualization of their minor child.

So my biggest question is, how DO we keep them ALL safe? Not just your own kid, but the kid down the street whose parents aren't involved with the child's cheer, and the kid has to find rides to-and-from practice, etc.?
I've spoken out quite a bit about this on the forum and have expressed very similar opinions. In addition to what you've said, I also say, trust your instincts (ALWAYS), talk to your children about strangers just like our parents did when I was little, have the appropriate talk with your child so that if something like this ever does happen, they will feel ok telling you about it, etc. If that's a hard/touchy thought for some parents, there are plenty of great books as well as FREE psychologists who can guide you on how to introduce the subject to your child the "right" way.

My child is the most important thing to me, not the negative impact it could have on our gym (although I will say I feel 100 percent confident if I suspected something I could confide in CSP herself and she would not turn a blind eye and at least look into it), and I'll be a "random" cheer parent ;) who WILL talk about it bc even though I don't like the idea and/or thought of it happening to my child, the statistics are undeniable and I'd rather live in reality so that if something ever did happen, my child could feel comfortable coming to me. This advice is pertinent to ALL parents with children in any given situation, bc believe it or not, it's not primarily coming from the gym (pedophilia). It's when you look the other way out of fear, denial, etc. that perpetuates the terrible cycle.

I don't know if these charges will be proven or not. What I do know is for the most part these people are professionals. If they weren't they would not get away with it as long as they do. They target kids who think like this poor girl did. It's not like they meet some teenage girl and drag her in the back of their car on their first meeting. They are calculating In their manipulation and deceit. They often befriend the parents so they are trusted and given access. They are right to suspect there are others.

In order:
Two Words- Roman Polanski

I suppose it starts with member gyms, maybe some official web banner/window decal that they can put on their gym that says 'Background Check Certified'. Make it an 'advertising' point, where gyms can say 'Come to us- we take that extra step to make sure your child is safe!' If it's a matter of funds, somehow attach it to membership dues? This is one particular area I'm sure parents won't mind paying for. The protection of our children (present and future) is priceless.

As for the third, there is no guarantee. Grown adult women have a hard enough time saying something, there's not much you can do that's going to make it easier for 14 year old girls (or guys!). The very thing that perpetuates the cycle (the suppression of what is going on as 'No big deal' or 'a misunderstanding'), is the same way the mind protects itself from the trauma of what's actually happening. The best you can do is give them a supportive, loving, open environment both at home and in the gym. Then hope that when they're ready to tell you, they will have the confidence. Also remind them that nothing is worth sacrificing themselves for, even a trip to Worlds.
Sorry, just saw this bc I haven't read the entire thread (still on first page)..but you pointed out some crucial elements that I did as well. Thank you and sorry if my post was redundant to anyone.

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion and choose not to take either side of this. He's innocent until the court proves him guilty. Due to personal experience, I can't stress that enough. Multiple accusations don't mean anything, people can lie. If he didn't do it, then I pray for the girls who felt like it was okay to make up a lie as horrible as this. If he did do it, then instead of berating him for his mistakes (although they are very much deserved) what we really need to do is pray for him and hope he gets the help he needs. Regardless, he's not working at any gym anymore, guilty or not.

I've honestly have never had an issue with closed practices and here's why. It's never been on a one in one basis, my CP's are very well informed and trained to know when / what to do when things become inappropriate because I have MANY close people in my life who have suffered thru abuse as children.

While I don't have an issue with it, that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it but I understand the need for it. Now if my gym had a camera system of sort that I could watch practices on, as I've been told some gyms do (I want to say Rays in JC does) then I'd be very comfortable with it.
I like closed practices by the way. It is easier for the kids to focus and there is less drama.

Back