All-Star Full Ups/double Ups

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone got any tips for the flyer to stay centre and for the bases not to step out, is there a secret technique or any drills that might help, thanks =)

have the flyer do a motion like a high v or a low v or a t before twisting it will make her stand up before she twists forcing her to stay centered

Tell the flyer to spot something on the wall, just like dancers do. And for the bases, the main base should think about twisting the foot up through the center of your body and not out.. That is something that really helped me when basing full ups.

tell the flyer they are going straight up and fake them out and tell the bases to do a full up so the flyer will stay in the same spot because they think they are just doing an extension.

Put some baby oil down on the tile floor and practice your full ups. If you can stay on your feet without breaking your neck, you should be good. LOL! Just kidding of course! I do know that there is a small machine I have seen that a lot of gymnasts and divers use that looks like a round scale that you put on the floor and it spins on it's axis around the base. I used to dive in high school and college and we used that to practice our twists, but I haven't seen one in years. I don't even know if they sell them anymore.

A tip that helps us is to teach the base to make her fingers face towards her when it ends. It helps stop her from dumping the flyers foot.

Anyone know how teams do the full up with only one foot in, not a sponge
Same concept as a normal full up. The main base still has their grip and then depending on the way you do it the flyer is either tossed up by the back and stands on the one foot, or pushed up like a normal one minus the side. I've also seen the side toss up on the floor leg, although I don't see how that could possibly help that much!

I call it a chicken wing full up.
Main base has the same grip. Drives up and drops the elbow. Initiate the spin once the hand passes their chin.
Flyer stands on the floor with one foot up. Grabs backspot's wrists. Flyer stands up with weight in her right toe. Flicks at the top, squeezes her hips. and looks over her right shoulder.
Back spot grabs waists and tosses up with a little flick at the top.
Side base grabs onto the flyers thigh. when the group dips, side tosses up and then grabs the foot when it comes around.

you can also do straight up stunts like this. and preps.

I think that would make the flyer just freak out more and fall. The flyer has to twist their body too.
Omg no that would scare the flyer so bad :(
Um, I personally had tons of trouble with this myself. Just tell her to pretend she's doing a straightup, and that she has to do literally nothing except for stay tight and hollow. Because that's really the flyer's only job! Hope I can help :)

I call it a chicken wing full up.
Main base has the same grip. Drives up and drops the elbow. Initiate the spin once the hand passes their chin.
Flyer stands on the floor with one foot up. Grabs backspot's wrists. Flyer stands up with weight in her right toe. Flicks at the top, squeezes her hips. and looks over her right shoulder.
Back spot grabs waists and tosses up with a little flick at the top.
Side base grabs onto the flyers thigh. when the group dips, side tosses up and then grabs the foot when it comes around.

you can also do straight up stunts like this. and preps.
My team does this and it works pretty well :) It's a bit awkward at first but it becomes natural after a while

Anyone know how teams do the full up with only one foot in, not a sponge

like a load in for a lib?
its just like the normal lib grip, except...
the base grabs for a full up, and the second just kinda puts their hands under the mains to help push up to the level they need it.
the backspot loads in normal, and attempts to keep one hand on the spinning ankel :D

Back