OT Getting Braces?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 4, 2011
Okay, so I'm getting braces this month. :banghead:
I'm not really sure how everything works. My mom said I'm going next Tuesday to get spacers and maybe just the brackets put on and then I will go back that next Thursday and get everything else.
I heard braces hurt a lot, and one problem I have is that the day after I am getting the braces, I have a musical that I'm in. I sing in 6 songs and I have lines. Do you think it'll hurt to talk and will they alter my speech much?
Also, any tips about them would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had braces for about a year and a half when i was 11-12. Honestly, don't stress so much about getting them! Mine only ever hurt after getting them adjusted/tightened, and the pain (very minor, more of an annoyance than anything else) would usually be gone by the time I'd wake up the following morning. I know everyone is different, but a lot of my friends had braces too when we were younger & I don't ever remember hearing anyone complain much about them. 18 out of 20 cheerleaders on my 7th grade squad had them! It shouldn't be painful for you to talk & if having braces does alter your speech, 9 times out of 10 nobody other than you will even notice. Having braces shouldn't prevent you from doing any of the things you're doing now. One suggestion I have is that you may want to think about getting a mouth guard to wear during cheer practice or if you play any other sports. One of my best friends had her braces go right through her lip when she got hit in the mouth at softball practice. Other than that, just listen to your orthodontist & take good care of your teeth so they'll look perfect when the braces come off! :)

They didn't hurt, but for the first few days after my mouth was super dry.. I'd try to resechdule for the next week if at all possible

When i got my braces i couldn't eat anything except soft foods for about a week. they hurt SO bad! i think i had it worse then most people do though. they will alter your speech a little but it will hardly be noticeable and like allstarwannabe said, you will probably be the only one that notices. if it is possible i would try to reschedule. everyone reacts different and if you have a bad experience it will be a tough musical!

It's amazing how everyone reacts differently. One of my sons needed braces and he never complained of pain. He has a high pain tolerance like his momma, kid has broken his arm and his ankle and both times his reaction was "it feels weird"....his arm looked like Harry Potter's when he broke it playing Quidditch!

Im on my 3rd week since my braces were attached. They felt a little loose and the brackets keep falling because i used to eat the wrong food, but I think thats the price i have to pay. Speech a little slurred but im getting used to it

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Im on my 3rd week since my braces were attached. They felt a little loose and the brackets keep falling because i used to eat the wrong food, but I think thats the price i have to pay. Speech a little slurred but im getting used to it

The brackets are supposed to be cemented on (dental cement, not the kind you'd use for a sidewalk)....they shouldn't be falling off!

I've had braces for 4 1/2 years, had them off for 4 years, then a couple weeks ago had to get them back on due to jaw movement, and I can tell you they're not that bad. The first week or so they might be really sore because your teeth are adjusting, so keep some ibuprofen at the ready. Also, you'll most likely get calluses in your mouth from where the braces hit your lip and that gross wax really is a lifesaver.

Ive had braces 2 times. They seriously arent bad at all! Yes, your mouth is going to hurt the first few days after you get them put on and when they get tightened. Keep some ibuprofen ready. Stock up on some soft foods like yogurt for the first week or so since it will hurt to chew some foods. But dont worry about it, braces are seriously not bad at all :) good luck!

Yes, they are cemented, but they keeps getting removed when i chew, say, toffee. I used to learn this technique of chewing them with your rear teeth. Works well for me

Sorry everyone forgot to watch the thread so kinda forgot I posted this. Thanks for all the tips and stuff! I really appreciate it.

Back