All-Star Getting Caught...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wanna say it was last season, half year gym said when you get your badge bring it in (since we registered our athletes) and then we found out they had stopped doing badges. I'm not sure if it was because of alterations or cost, but they don't even issue them anymore.
Yes, I noticed that too. But I'm wondering if that wouldn't be an easier solution than state issued IDS. But I also imagine they are easy to falsify. If a gym just puts a different face to a name, I suppose no be would know the difference.

Yes, I noticed that too. But I'm wondering if that wouldn't be an easier solution than state issued IDS. But I also imagine they are easy to falsify. If a gym just puts a different face to a name, I suppose no be would know the difference.
Seems like they should easily be able to have an online data base that they could use at comps to plug each registered athlete into the roster of their their teams, then pull up the roster and check each kid in as they go into warmups. They database would include the kids name, birthday, and a pic. Current pics would have to be submitted each year with the birth cert. No need to print badges. Just someone with an iPad or computer looking at each kid's profile and checking them in. It would not necessarily catch all, especially if they are falsifying documents, but it will stop the ones that are doing it because they know no one is checking to even see if it is the same kids on the roster that are taking the mat. There's no excuse for an 8 yr old competing on a mini team and a Sr team and no one noticing because no one is checking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Punish the whole gym. The athletes can choose to stay or leave. I'm sorry to say it bc I'm sure there are some athletes that only have one or two nearby gyms, but you have to set an example. And there's NO WAY that a gym owner/manager/Allstar Director didn't know they were doing something illegal, and if they let it happen (or possibly encouraged it), they should be punished also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You speak truth! There is no room for cheaters in sports. That being said, a lot of people (parents) would rather be a winning gym that cheats. It is unfortunate for the other gyms in the same community. I want my kids to learn about ethics, values, and integrity. Winning is awesome...but not if you sell your soul to do it!

You speak truth! There is no room for cheaters in sports. That being said, a lot of people (parents) would rather be a winning gym that cheats. It is unfortunate for the other gyms in the same community. I want my kids to learn about ethics, values, and integrity. Winning is awesome...but not if you sell your soul to do it!

Truer words were never spoken about parents ignoring the cheating for a win which speaks volumes to the parents integrity.

Who wants to bet this Louisiana gym will gain a few new kids because they cheat. Sad sad day for cheer.

Truer words were never spoken about parents ignoring the cheating for a win which speaks volumes to the parents integrity.

Who wants to bet this Louisiana gym will gain a few new kids because they cheat. Sad sad day for cheer.

...and this is why I am willing to drive CP 2.5 hours to dream gym at the ripe old age of 10.

Some states (I know IL for sure) have quarter year teams. The kids do high school cheer and then switch over to allstar once the high school season is over. The kids have the experience & the skills to jump right in to allstar. I hear it's actually a fairly common practice in those states. I wouldn't call that cheating since the kids are prohibited from doing allstar until their high school season is over.

ETA: Some gyms will not accept an at large bid. So, you may see a good team not get a bid at all until late in the season depending on their competition at previous comps.

This is 100% true for IL, my CP's gym has a SSC 3 team that won the Summit in 2013 and 2015 and was second this year and couldn't even begin practicing until the day after State finals which I believe was around Feb. 10th.

At the Summit there were several teams that were name checked this year using the roster and their badge/hopper pass. I am also aware that at least one Junior team coaches were called to the judges platform the moment their performance ended. My CP's coaches believed the judges thought they had an illegal athlete, though at awards they were not penalized.

At the Summit there were several teams that were name checked this year using the roster and their badge/hopper pass. I am also aware that at least one Junior team coaches were called to the judges platform the moment their performance ended. My CP's coaches believed the judges thought they had an illegal athlete, though at awards they were not penalized.

But if Jill Jones is competing under the name of Sally Turner because Jill is overaged, the team still wouldn't be caught.

But if Jill Jones is competing under the name of Sally Turner because Jill is overaged, the team still wouldn't be caught.

True, also if Jill Jones had Sally Turner's hopper pass and they didn't check the picture from USASF then it is easy to get around. The only real way to do this would be to make a reusable USASF ID card with a bar code and anti-counterfeit functions. The would need to be swiped and verified at every competition based on picture on file and on the ID, plus birth certificate. This probably should be done by a USASF representative and not put on the EP.

True, also if Jill Jones had Sally Turner's hopper pass and they didn't check the picture from USASF then it is easy to get around. The only real way to do this would be to make a reusable USASF ID card with a bar code and anti-counterfeit functions. The would need to be swiped and verified at every competition based on picture on file and on the ID, plus birth certificate. This probably should be done by a USASF representative and not put on the EP.

And some gyms are doing just that, using a "fake ID" for an athlete and getting away with it. Until we have something like what you described, it will continue.

It's bad enough for a gym to sandbag a team with higher level athletes to compete down and increase their chances to win, but it's a whole other animal to have a child pretend to be someone else!

One of the teams who won at the summit (won't name name) did not have their coaches on stage when they won nor were they allowed into warm ups. It is either 1. Because they had been caught cheating earlier this season or 2. Because they could not pass the background check.

The only solution is micro-chipping children with their age, highest tumbling skill, and every gym they've attended.

I can't see another way around sandbagging/cheating.

One of the teams who won at the summit (won't name name) did not have their coaches on stage when they won nor were they allowed into warm ups. It is either 1. Because they had been caught cheating earlier this season or 2. Because they could not pass the background check.

I think I know the gym, slipping my mind, and pretty sure it was for cheating. My thought is if you are caught cheating you should lose your bid.

Back