All-Star Gi Pros

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Team Gunz scored a 96.3 at the Ultimate Battle on Friday, which is the lowest they scored with a HIT routine all season. Although they "hit", the pyramid was shaky, an athlete omitted a tumbling skill from a pass, and they didn't perform to their full potential. Instead of focusing their energy on why their score was the lowest it had been all season when they've hit, they went out on day 1 of the regular competition (Saturday) and hit harder, knowing that this competition had a very tough panel. Their score increased to a 96.97. When you listen to the judges' suggestions and apply them (whether you agree with the scores or not), your score will TYPICALLY go up, and sometimes quite a bit. It has nothing to do with bias or favoritism. It has everything to do with a group of athletes going out on the floor and being better than they were the day before. A .67 score increase is not that drastic, especially when we've all seen teams' scores increase by almost 2 points from Day 1 to Day 2 at other events this season.

I'm sure the GI Pros coaches feel that they were better on Saturday, too, and they do not understand how their score could decrease by .23. However, trying to "stick it" to the judges at the end of March at one of the last major Varsity events of the season did much less to make a positive impact in our industry than it did to disrespect the judges and the EP, infuriate many Varsity employees, violate most of the USASF's Coach Sportsmanship Code of Conduct, and compromise the relationship they had with the only other team competing with them.

CheerMAD.com GI PROs marked the routine today because: Friday night its raw score at Battle at the Beach's "Ultimate Battle" (which had exclusively Worlds teams competing) GI Pros raw score, no deductions performance was .1 behind Central Jersey All Stars (the only other Small Coed Level 5 team competing).
-Day 1 at Battle of the Beach, GI Pros raw score, no deductions, performance scored 1.1 points behind Central Jersey Allstars.
-The raw score one day should be the raw score all days.
- Marking its routine was done in frustration over the inaccuracies in the two scores, same routine, no deductions.

This was a response on CheerMad's face book page about why they did it

Raw scores absolutely should not and will not remain the same all weekend when technique and performance can easily fluctuate from day to day.

^^^I totally agree with your first paragraph, and I know for a 100% fact that our gym would never have allowed a team to do that (and I’m glad) BUT...no offense, but I doubt they really care if the EP, and judges felt “disrespected! And made the Varsity employees “angry?” Excuse me...who pays for this industry?? Don’t waste your energy being “disrespected” and “angry”...fix your mess so your scoring is valid to the participants! Our team was screwed over at that comp this weekend as well. Parents are getting really sick of this.

Our team was screwed over at that comp this weekend as well. Parents are getting really sick of this.
What happened with your gym? I only ask because I heard that sentiment a few times. Seems like there were a multiple gyms with concerns?

There are multiple facets to this issue but as long as the scoring remains as it is the problem will continue. Why are so many people willing to accept it? The concept of life isn’t fair is important to teach to our children but if there is no effort to correct the issue because there is zero competition in the industry it should just be accepted? The issue is much larger than one team and one competition but if someone takes a stand they will have to be worried about the negative implications for their team. That just sums up the whole issue for me. What is the “right” way to take a stand here?

What happened with your gym? I only ask because I heard that sentiment a few times. Seems like there were a multiple gyms with concerns?
Ugh. I can’t be too specific bc big brother is always watching but our issue probably stemmed from poor division split/non-split situation by the EP which led what appears at first glance to be judging inconsistencies between the different types of teams in our division. I looked at all of them briefly both days..but I need to really spend time analyzing.

There are multiple facets to this issue but as long as the scoring remains as it is the problem will continue. Why are so many people willing to accept it? The concept of life isn’t fair is important to teach to our children but if there is no effort to correct the issue because there is zero competition in the industry it should just be accepted? The issue is much larger than one team and one competition but if someone takes a stand they will have to be worried about the negative implications for their team. That just sums up the whole issue for me. What is the “right” way to take a stand here?
Exactly. Everyone is literally coming down so hard on them. I’m sure the parents fully supported their children standing up for what they believe is right because thats what you do. They have been doing killer routines FOR YEARS and literally never getting any credit. This was not a temper tantrum, this was a statement.

1.1 is huge gap if you were .1 behind day 1. At the end of the day there were only 2 teams in the division. Unless team gunz had major issues. You can’t really make up the 1 pt if both teams hit.

I guess I am in the boat where I am just confused by what exactly they were protesting....I mean I understand that they feel they performed better on Saturday then they did Friday and their score went down, which sucks, but I am also under the impression that there was a whole different judging panel between the two days and its not like there was a HUGE change between the scores. Unfortunately with subjective scoring some judges are going to like some things better than others, who's to say the judges on Sunday wouldn't have liked what the did better than what Team Gunz did?

I think we forget that athletes and parents drive this sport. Since I retired, the sport is 3x more expensive, but there have been little improvement in scoring transparency, safety, crossover rules, etc. While I do not agree with their methods, I understand the frustration and desire to make a statement. One of the lessons of cheer not yet mentioned, is to stand up for what you think is right, even when no one else stands behind you. Personally, I hope this spawns a "wallet" protest by parents the next time fees go up, or a child is injured by a wet, bumpy floor. It's time to slow down the money train and demand real change.

Exactly. Everyone is literally coming down so hard on them. I’m sure the parents fully supported their children standing up for what they believe is right because thats what you do. They have been doing killer routines FOR YEARS and literally never getting any credit. This was not a temper tantrum, this was a statement.
I am fine with parents and coaches saying this is not how I would have responded but to call it a tantrum or whining is ridiculous. People really think it is about losing to CJA here? Clearly this is much more than coming home with the crappiest backpacks I've ever seen.

I think we forget that athletes and parents drive this sport. Since I retired, the sport is 3x more expensive, but there have been little improvement in scoring transparency, safety, crossover rules, etc. While I do not agree with their methods, I understand the frustration and desire to make a statement. One of the lessons of cheer not yet mentioned, is to stand up for what you think is right, even when no one else stands behind you. Personally, I hope this spawns a "wallet" protest by parents the next time fees go up, or a child is injured by a wet, bumpy floor. It's time to slow down the money train and demand real change.

For the love of all that is HOLY, YES!!!

Saturday my son didn’t have to check in until 3, but my daughter competed at 11-12. So we paid for my younger son to get in, along with my mother and myself. Admission fees for 2 days for 3 people were $100. Competition fees were $200 for one full year and one prep athlete. So $300 just to compete and watch. Nothing else.

Do you know my older son was in full uniform and because he didn’t have an athlete arm band yet they weren’t going to let him in to watch his sister? Even though his coaches were in warmups and couldn’t give him an arm band yet....didn’t care. The woman said “talk to Spirit Sports, they gave us strict instructions”. I politely told her I would appreciate her using a bit of common sense and independent judgment to determine if she really thought this was a random kid dressed up as an athlete. We finally got in.

I am just over the whole “this is just how it is” mentality....because how it is does nothing to benefit parents or athletes, or even gym owners. The current state of affairs benefits one entity-Varsity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back