All-Star Gym Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2012
I'm switching gyms next year and I have 4 other options, could anyone help me decide which gym would be best?

Gyms info:
A) Has a reputation for favouring athletes who have been there longer, very good facility, not a nice uniform.
B)Has a good reputation, average facility, average uniform.
C)Good reputation, I think they might rent their facility from a gymnastics center, stunning uniform
D) Amazing reputation, amazing facility, not a nice uniform, twice as far from my house.

Gyms B & C are the same gym but different locations but under the same name, they financially support each other aswell so they will not close down.

All gyms are about 45 minutes from my house except for option D which on a very good day is an hour but could easily be more.
Any advice?

I think I would base my decision on reputation and facility before the uniform. As far as distance goes, I would weigh my options and maybe delve deeper into your choices, i.e. ask other parents of the gyms to see if they are happy there, what is the price difference, what is the difference in what they offer, like team levels and tumbling classes and their competition schedules. I think that when you choose your gym, it's more than what meets the eye, so choose very carefully and good luck :cheering:

Other things to consider - Depending on where you live, weather could be an option for the longer distance. Be sure that the practice schedule works with your school schedule. Agree you should talk to some parents and kids if possible. Can you visit and/or take a tumbling class? Also, do they all do a similar competition schedule? We have several gyms to choose from, but a few dont travel to major competitions, so there is not a serious travel cost to consider, but also less competition and a lower expectation. Again to cost and time commitment- what does summer schedule look like - camps - do they offer them in house? or do you go out as a team. Sounds like you have a lot of good options which is a good place to be. Good luck.

I see that you are from Canada so I think weather could be an issue no matter what gym you choose. As for the other factors, I'm not sure the uniform would be the deal breaker for me but rather maybe a tipping point if I was stuck deciding between one of two gyms. In my opinion I think some factors for you to consider should be where you are going to feel the most accepted and comfortable and if you will be able to build on your skills and compete at a high level. Do you have any friends at the gyms in question? Also remember that a beautiful gym/facility with all the perks may not always be what it seems, it's like the guy on the golf course with the most expensive clubs money can buy but yet he can't hit a ball straight to save his life. Having the best equipment does not necessarily produce the best results. Ask around but be aware that most who stay at a gym will tell you they like it there (why else would they stay?). You might ask them if they have always been at that gym and if not what gym did they come from? That might be a better way to determine which place is best for you, you may see a pattern of a certain gym that others constantly leave. Best of Luck!

I'm switching gyms next year and I have 4 other options, could anyone help me decide which gym would be best?

Gyms info:
A) Has a reputation for favouring athletes who have been there longer, very good facility, not a nice uniform.
B)Has a good reputation, average facility, average uniform.
C)Good reputation, I think they might rent their facility from a gymnastics center, stunning uniform
D) Amazing reputation, amazing facility, not a nice uniform, twice as far from my house.

Gyms B & C are the same gym but different locations but under the same name, they financially support each other aswell so they will not close down.

All gyms are about 45 minutes from my house except for option D which on a very good day is an hour but could easily be more.
Any advice?
You may also want to consider their competition schedule as well. Would you physically be able to make it to every competition, is it financially in your means to do so. Are your parents if you can't drive or still live at home willing to take you. If something happens and you don't have a vehicle could you carpool or take a taxi.

Also Canadian winters are unpredictable so like they said earlier really consider the weather, I use to cheer just 10 minutes down the road from my house but if the weather was bad it could take a half hour cause it was all bad roads getting there.

If you live in Ontario chances are I could probably help you with your decision if your really struggling to decide with the gym.

Back