All-Star How Do You Cope With Nerves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 9, 2012
I'm sorry if this is already a thread, I did a quick search and couldn't find it...

I'm wondering how people cope with the fear and nerves before performing? I've never had any real problems when doing a team routine, but I'm preparing for my first ever partner stunt competition and I am TERRIFIED! Even during practices, the nerves completely take over and I fail to complete even the most simple skills because I'm so shaky. It's almost to the point where I'm considering dropping out of the competition, but I don't want to let down my amazing base.

Can people tell me if they have any techniques to deal with nerves, especially before competition? If I feel this anxious during training, I can't imagine what it will be like stepping out onto the floor :S

Don't drop out! You'll regret it if you do! I get so nervous before cometiting, I feel sick and get shaky and I'm always like 'why do I put myself through this?!' but then I get on the floor and the amazing feeling I get whilst competiting answers that question!
The way I try and help my nerves is to take long, deep breaths, go through the routine, focus on the task and I always try and put things in perspectiv and give myself a mini pep talk - 'it's just 2.5 minutes, soon it will be over, I can do this!' Another thing my team does (which may not suit you) is to just go crazy! Jump around, shout, sing etc, it helps to release our nerves a lot!
I've never done a partner stunt routine but I've done individuals and I approached it in the same way.
Talk through your worries with your stunt partner and coaches too, they could maybe try and help the nerves too?
Oh also, I find if I've eaten, had some water, been to the toilet, have all my hair and make up done in good time that I feel much more 'ready' and less nervous! Other than that, smile and enjoy!
Hope this made sense and goes some way into helping you and GOOD LUCK! :)

Listen to your favorite songs! I listen to my favorites teams' mixes because that always pumps me up. Don't be afraid and just remember to have fun and let all the hard work pay off!

You take deep, deep deep breaths and focus on yourself and your partner. Like hyperfocus. You get really nervous when it's about to happen (heck I'm an actor so I'm used to performing and I still feel ready to faint before I take the stage) but once it happens, instinct and memory kicks in.
It'll be uncomfortable a bit at first but then you'll really get into it and all you'll be able to think of is performing and doing good.
I don't think nerves ever really go away.
Good luck!

Before you go on visualize yourself doing the whole routine/stunt and hitting it perfectly, or just don't think about it at all so you don't psyche yourself out! Your body will know what to do because of muscle memory, your head just has to be there. Good luck!

when we're backstage, we give a pep talk. everybody has to say something comforting and lifting. Then one of our coaches comes and says a prayer. I'm one of those people that's perfectly fine up until the second they announce our team name on deck. It always helps me to mentally go through the whole routine a few times. It reminds me that I've got it and there's no reason to be nervous because I remember it all!

My older cp developed ridiculously bad performance anxiety during her 6th season of all-star cheer and it continued last year into her HS competitions, to the point where she actually vomited during the routine. The coach was fortunately very understanding and we actually wound up taking her to a hypnotist who helped her through a series of relaxation and visualization techniques to accept that she was going to get nervous but that she was going to be able to successfully get through the remaining comps of the season, which she did.

You can do it! Take everything step by step, skill by skill, and let your mind focus on what you are doing at that moment only. Don't worry about something that's at the end till you get to it.

I always pray and close my eyes, picturing myself hitting everything. It helps me calm down and slows my heart rate. You just have to believe in yourself and your partner and know that whatever happens, happens. All you have to do is try your best :) goodluck!!!

I visualize, take deep breaths, before I leave to warm up and perform I have to give my mom a big hug, I always have to hug the same coach before any performance!

Before competing at cheersport, my coach had us all meet early and go to a little section of a hallway. We sat down in a circle and closed our eyes and counted through the routine and half marked it as we went. I dont know why, but this made us all so confident in competing, and helped all our pre-competition jitters be released!

I have post traumatic stress anxiety. It kills me before competitions and usually before long car rides/ anything with a lot of people. And a lot of people meaning like... 5. I take medicine for it but it never seems to help. I've found just sitting down and breathing helps a lot

Back