All-Star How Quickly Do You Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My sister and I started all star in the summer w/ a front walkover, back walkover, cartwheel & aerial. After the summer we had a standing back handspring (threw it by ourselves the very first day), toe touch tuck, standing/running tuck, layouts & a round off toe touch tuck. Our basing skill were level 4.

I've been working my backhandspring on and off for about 6 years, but I officially got it (standing and running) in January this year. And I got my ro bhs tuck 2 weeks ago. So I went from level 1 to level 3 in about five and a half months. My goal is to get my layout at Woodward (in 2 weeks) and be working/have a full by the end of this year.

Hi sorry if I made it seem that you were 'racing' Cupie. That's not at all what I meant! Sorry!

What i had meant was that its ok to progress at your own pace as long as you are ok with it. Many gyms have more staff, or more experienced staff or more developed programs and their athletes can progress faster. But if someone moves a little more slowly that's ok too :)

I went from level one tumbling to level 3/4 in one year

it took me about 3 months to get my running bhs and 4 1/2 to get standing and 2 months to get my running tuck solid
1 1/2 week to get my standing tuck(ehhh) and two to tuck plus 2 bhs step out front walkover round off bhs step ot round off bhs tuck,and speciality skills through to a tuck . Im working on my layout now

xoxbeastbackspotxox said:
Yeah I don't progress as fast as most people. I've been an allstar cheerleader for almost five years and I'm just about to get my bhs.

It def can be a slow process but man that seems like a long time. Way to be patient and keep plugging away! I tell my kids tho, if u do 50 a week you'll get it eventually. If you do 100 a week you'll get it twice as fast! Repitition repitition!
Good luck!!

Kris10boo said:
Yes, thank you! I work with her all the time at home because I don't ever want her to feel she isn't as good as any one else. Here is the first time she did a multiple BHS- yes I know it's crooked but she tumbled off the mat so I'm surprised she didn't stop. Also this video it also shows her the 2nd day after they showed her a step-out.

http://youtu.be/lVBThUFOIG0

All the other girls on her youth 2 team out jump her (although everyone on her team is way older) But I think she is just so cute!

Also thanks for the input!!

Omg she is SO TUTE!!!! Thank u for sharing this!! I'm mad I didn't see this sooner lol

it seems in my gym that the more determined you are, and the less fear you have, the quicker you progress. we have had mutiple girls go from level 1 to level 4 in one year and the next year be level 5.....these athletes are very confident and work their butts off. our coaches are very supportive and always try to make the athletes feel confident, and will spot them to help them get a skill 9,000,000 times if thats what it takes. on the other hand, the ones who are scared, and arent willing to work out of the block, dont move forward.

Diamond said:
My sister and I started all star in the summer w/ a front walkover, back walkover, cartwheel & aerial. After the summer we had a standing back handspring (threw it by ourselves the very first day), toe touch tuck, standing/running tuck, layouts & a round off toe touch tuck. Our basing skill were level 4.

Fierce!!!

Bow Maker said:
Oh god. If you started then and it took 2 1/2 years to get it, Im probably going to age out before I get mine.

That's what happened to me but I started all stars in it's infancy so tumbling didn't matter so much.

fullpass said:
Hi sorry if I made it seem that you were 'racing' Cupie. That's not at all what I meant! Sorry!

What i had meant was that its ok to progress at your own pace as long as you are ok with it. Many gyms have more staff, or more experienced staff or more developed programs and their athletes can progress faster. But if someone moves a little more slowly that's ok too :)

I gotcha. And u are right!

gaheatgirl said:
I went from level one tumbling to level 3/4 in one year

This is what we expect of our kids even tho we know it may take some longer. I think expectations have a lot to do with it. The kids usually seem to rise to our expectations tho so we like the progress lol!

Yes everyone is uniquely different and your daughters progress is pretty typical to me. Once they have the skills needed for tucks, pikes and layouts, they progress pretty quickly for us. I have some that stall for a while at tucks, but not many and that's usually because those are the athletes that tucks may be their equivalent of an arabian through to double. I set the bar higher with each skill they achieve though, so even my "remedial tumblers" do pretty well.

That's how it's been for my cp, once she got her running tuck, she acquired several new skills in like 3 months. Her tuck took while, though.

Standing tumbling takes me longer to learn than running.... Not sure
I love running tumbling so much better maybe that's why.

I progress pretty fast for running tumbling . I worked layouts for about a month then got my full three practices later . But standing tumbling is a completely different story . I've been working on standing series bhs for about three years now .

Back