All-Star How To Get Over Fear Of Partner Stunting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 28, 2012
Ok, so I want to cheer in college and most of the university cheer squads I want to be on (if not all) require the girls to be able to fly in a partner stunt. (And i'm just posting it here because of traffic. And I'm not sure if any posted this already, but sorry!) I'm not a flyer and in all my years of cheering i've backed and based. I've flown before in a regular stunt, but never in a partner stunt. Theres something about being held by only person thats scares the life out of me. In a regular stunt, three people have you in their hands, but only one person does in a partner stunt. I want to take a flying class in a gym nearby, but any tips on how to get over my fears?

Thanks!

I used to be the same way! This is my first year in college and my first year flying. I like coed stunting waaayy more than all girl. The guys are so strong. I'm always sort of afraid when I try new things but you just have to trust your partner. Confidence is key. Work on mastering the easy stuff and once you fill really confident with that then move on to something more difficult.

I actually found group stunting more difficult than partner stunting. Guys are (typically) very strong plus that's only one person you have to get used to stunting with as opposed to 3 others. As long as you have good timing and a decent toss together, you'll do fine. It's just the two of you, so trust is key, but focus on staying tight in the air (but relaxed a bit--when I would try to "help" my partner it always messed up the stunt) and jump like hell to help him out on the tosses.
You're gonna love it. Trust. It's the most addictive type of stunting you'll ever do.

Sorry for the double post but I didn't really answer your question : /

I took some lessons before I tried out. When we were paired up after tryouts, my partner and I got together a lot on our own and worked on the basics. He was training me since it was his second year. He was SO patient with me. We started in May and by December it was like I'd been doing it my whole life.

cupieqt pretty much nailed it, but I would add trust your base until he gives you a reason not to, and ALWAYS have a spot that you trust. I love my spotter almost as much as my base; I won't do any of our more difficult stunts with anyone else spotting us.

have a spotter in addition to your stunt partner and then try everything and re-try it all several times. the more air time you have the more comfortable you will feel in the air and doing your stunts.

Back