All-Star Iasf's New Uni Rule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 5, 2020
hi everyone, kind of old news but i have a question about IASF's new uniform rule regarding international teams having full top uniforms starting next season. is it going to affect the open teams, too? are they seriously going to make 20-somethings wear full top uniforms? i'm on a non-tumble 6 and our oldest athlete on our team is almost 24. i just don't understand why they would make it for 'the athlete's safety' when kids are going to be wearing crop tops regardless (around the venue, in the disney parks if the event is held at disney, ect.) thanks so much! :)

Any international/IASF division, so yes, that includes any international open teams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why is it necessary to wear a crop top? Does it make a difference to your athletic abilities?

Not necessary, but makes rewinds a lot easier as a back spot. And handspring twisting up skills. Pretty much anything where I have to grab a flyers waist/hips to throw and catch. I find fabric can slide a lot, though I did throw them that way back in the old days

Why is it necessary to wear a crop top? Does it make a difference to your athletic abilities?
no, not necessarily, but speaking from both an athlete and a coach's standpoint, i prefer both the appearance of a cropped uni more (idk, seems more 'clean' and 'cheer' for me, if that makes sense) as well as stated above, i have experienced that a lot of times unis can catch when doing rewinds and such or the bases can't grip as well when they're not getting skin-to-skin contact. it's really more of a personal preference lol.

College/university teams have been doing long tops for years. I made it through myself haha! I think teams should test out different fabrics before ordering new unis though. Smart uniform companies should promote fabrics which help with the grips.

As of the 2024-2025 upcoming season, has there been any challenge to this policy?

I would like to see this policy abolished. It looks foolish to make adults 18+ wear full tops while juveniles wear crop tops at the same competition. Yes, I know it’s a USASF rule vs IASF rules, but my point is still valid. I thought this nonsense would have been abandoned by now.

As of the 2024-2025 upcoming season, has there been any challenge to this policy?

I would like to see this policy abolished. It looks foolish to make adults 18+ wear full tops while juveniles wear crop tops at the same competition. Yes, I know it’s a USASF rule vs IASF rules, but my point is still valid. I thought this nonsense would have been abandoned by now.
Or, hear me out, make everyone wear full tops. There's literally no need or benefit to crop tops. In Sweden everyone's in full tops, and years ago when it was implemented there was some push back, but overall it's been a positive shift. Makes some people feel more comfortable, no one is gonna feel less confident just bc they can't show their stomach, makes some outsiders take us more seriously, looks more professional (in my opinion), all win win win.

Or, hear me out, make everyone wear full tops. There's literally no need or benefit to crop tops. In Sweden everyone's in full tops, and years ago when it was implemented there was some push back, but overall it's been a positive shift. Makes some people feel more comfortable, no one is gonna feel less confident just bc they can't show their stomach, makes some outsiders take us more seriously, looks more professional (in my opinion), all win win win.
Either make everyone wear full tops or don’t mandate it. It’s a double standard. Midriffs on women’s bodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Shouldn’t have to be told to cover up. Think of Sharia Law.

Women’s rights are being rolled back at an alarming rate. This is sadly an extension of that. The image policy has nothing to do with safety. It’s a power trip on IASF’s end. Same with USASF’s background check scam. There’s SO many things “wrong” with cheerleading outsiders aren’t going to like… that’s why they’re outsiders! Why are we trying to win them over?

Last edited:
Either make everyone wear full tops or don’t mandate it. It’s a double standard. Midriffs on women’s bodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Shouldn’t have to be told to cover up. Think of Sharia Law.

Women’s rights are being rolled back at an alarming rate. This is sadly an extension of that. The image policy has nothing to do with safety. It’s a power trip on IASF’s end. Same with USASF’s background check scam. There’s SO many things “wrong” with cheerleading outsiders aren’t going to like… that’s why they’re outsiders! Why are we trying to win them over?
Adult female athletes in many sports are sounding off against the increased sexualization of their uniforms. It becomes much harder for any govering body, especially one which deals primarily with children, to ignore a large growing population of women stating it's unnecessary, exploiting, and demeaning.

Articles below:

Uniform or costume? Athletes sound off on revealing U.S. women's Olympic track kit

The Sexualization Of Women In Sports Extends Even To What They Wear

The troubling paradox facing women Olympians: Sex sells, but with serious costs

Sports clothing rules for women are sexist — so why haven’t they changed?

The double standard is what bothers me the most out of all this. It seems so backwards.
I don't disagree with the double standard, but Europe is definitely leading the way listening to women athletes.
IMO, cheer should have a sport designated uniform which allows design through color only. Athletes should be able to choose a solid crop or full top ( no cutouts, mesh, tiny straps, gems, or choke collars), where the athlete can wear a sport bra of choice, where there's no more than a 4" gap at the waist for grip (scaled down for height/age), and a skirt or spank with a 2" inseam at the very minimum. It's athletic, appropriate for twisting/tumbling/tossing, more cost effective, and the creeps and attention seekers no longer have the ability to exploit female children for personal gain. It's definitely not a popular opinion, I'd miss the uniform reveals, but most of these uniforms no longer take the athlete or function into consideration in their design .

I don't disagree with the double standard, but Europe is definitely leading the way listening to women athletes.
IMO, cheer should have a sport designated uniform which allows design through color only. Athletes should be able to choose a solid crop or full top ( no cutouts, mesh, tiny straps, gems, or choke collars), where the athlete can wear a sport bra of choice, where there's no more than a 4" gap at the waist for grip (scaled down for height/age), and a skirt or spank with a 2" inseam at the very minimum. It's athletic, appropriate for twisting/tumbling/tossing, more cost effective, and the creeps and attention seekers no longer have the ability to exploit female children for personal gain. It's definitely not a popular opinion, I'd miss the uniform reveals, but most of these uniforms no longer take the athlete or function into consideration in their design .
Right, the double standard makes the image policy completely backfire. The IASF & USASF need to get on board with a joint decision on this.

As much as I hate new divisions or more divisions… level the playing field. Or until they figure out a decision that applies to everyone. USASF make an 18+ division where this policy is exempt… like the senior teams.

Obviously from my previous posts I’d prefer to keep crop tops legal/optional for various reasons. However, since full tops at worlds are mandatory, it needs to apply to everyone, not pick and choose.

Latest posts

Back