All-Star Ideal Competition Results Format

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlueCat

Roses are red, cats are blue
Dec 14, 2009
Coaches - what type of information do event producers give you at the conclusion of a competition?

Event producers are doing a much better job overall of letting the coaches see how the scoring process actually works. Being able to get information about how other teams are getting scored is immensely helpful in improving our routines. That is rapidly becoming the norm instead of the exception. Hopefully, all event producers will follow this trend.

That being said - what is the ideal information that a coach can get? For me, I think the answer is fairly simple:

Give us a spreadsheet (PDF is OK, but requires much more effort on our part) with a row for every performance by every team. Beside that, put a column for EVERY box on the scoresheet where the judges can put numbers. (this means a separate column for difficulty and execution on the Varsity sheet.) In those columns, put the AVERAGE for all of the judges' scores in that box.

We do not necessarily need to see every single judge's scores (although that is helpful, too.) I also think that judge comments should probably just be between the judge and the team.

You could just put this online as a google doc or similar and be done. No papers to print/pass out. Free instant access for E.P.s and coaches.

What do other coaches think? Would this work for you guys?

Yes, but I'd like to also see the composites of how we compared to the other teams in our division by category.... maybe a ranking of highest to lowest pyramid, stunt, dance, jumps, etc for each division. That would be extremely helpful, especially when we are seeing the same teams all season, and would like to stay competitive in the division!

i know i've said it before... but i think NCA was a step in the right direction by telling you what the highest score is in each category for your division.

I like the idea behind this, BUT I think it will cause a lot of coaches to approach judges and event producers and say "How did this team score better on this than my team?" I don't think coaches will be satisfied with no answer or an answer of "They hit the scoresheet better". If questioning is not allowed except on legalities I can understand this, but I feel it will create a lot of unhappy coaches who feel their routines are much better than another.

I like the idea behind this, BUT I think it will cause a lot of coaches to approach judges and event producers and say "How did this team score better on this than my team?" I don't think coaches will be satisfied with no answer or an answer of "They hit the scoresheet better". If questioning is not allowed except on legalities I can understand this, but I feel it will create a lot of unhappy coaches who feel their routines are much better than another.

I hear this concern a lot. While I do understand it, I would respectfully disagree. For one, there are already many unhappy coaches. Most of the time this is because they simply don't understand the results. I think that generally, coaches are less frustrated about results when they are given the chance to see why they came out the way that they did. I do think that there will be isolated instances where a coach would so vehemently disagree with the way pyramids were scored that they chose to complain about it. However, I think that in MANY more cases, a coach will be LESS frustrated when they can finally have something that at least sort of explains what the judges were thinking. I know that has been the case several times at the few events where we allowed to know why we won/lost.

When Event Producers say that "coaches will get more mad" if they can see the whole judging process, this is what I hear: "If you think you are mad now, just imagine how mad you would be if you knew the truth!" That doesn't inspire confidence in their scoring system when they say that.

I am all for EP's publicizing all the categories not just the final scores. Sometimes I look at our execution scores then I watch tape of the other teams and wonder if my score is lower than theirs. It would make me understand a lot more why I'm getting 7.3 out of 10 on execution of a stunt if I knew what the other team looked like and scored. Not just what they looked like. It would also help our cheerleaders know where to improve when we watch film together.

I'm not one to go to a judge/ EP and complain because I think my team should have gotten higher than what they did. But it does add to the speculation of coaches when they are left in the dark.

I think it would help the accountability of the judges as well.

Back