All-Star Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In addition, as a paying parent I would be upset if I had to pay for a comp fee, pay an entrance fee just to watch our team mark their routine. Granted there may have been circumstances, but we have all had to deal with that sick athlete or athletes at a comp at one time or another. I had to deal with 3 at our last competition. They were literally puking right before they walked on the floor and puked immediately after. Mom's had puke bags in hand but they hit their routine.

Whether or not we are the know all, be all of cheer, this thread is asking a question and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Which was the point of the thread. It was something I had never seen before and worth mentioning on this board. I've never seen an entire team/s mark to that degree on the competition floor.

No need to bold your statement as I AM NOT referencing your child. I am referencing the gym as a whole and again JMO.
And you're entitled to your opinion. Whether you intended it or not, when I read your post, I interpreted it as if the kids were not giving it their all. Honestly, my kids are part of that "gym as a whole", so when you're referring to the gym and the teams in question (my kids team) not giving 110%, I did feel it necessary to bold the statement. Whether you agree with our coaches decision or not, keep in mind that there were kids on that floor, on those teams, who did give a great effort yesterday.

Bottomline, I stand by my daughters' coaches' decision yesterday. They did what they felt was best for the team, not what the crowd and people from other programs thought they should see. My girls had fun and left there yesterday feeling good. I can't argue with that.

I like UA so this isn't bashing them at all but didn't they do this last year??
Yes, a team did it at a preseason challenge last season. There were other circumstances around that though. I believe they had a number of kids missing due to injury or quitting or both (don't remember all the details), so they went exhibition and had coaches filling in for some spots.

In addition, as a paying parent I would be upset if I had to pay for a comp fee, pay an entrance fee just to watch our team mark their routine. Granted there may have been circumstances, but we have all had to deal with that sick athlete or athletes at a comp at one time or another. I had to deal with 3 at our last competition. They were literally puking right before they walked on the floor and puked immediately after. Mom's had puke bags in hand but they hit their routine.

Whether or not we are the know all, be all of cheer, this thread is asking a question and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

You're absolutely right the board is about discussion so there is nothing wrong with asking questions CheerMomNTX. In general a few people might be aggravated because the issue seems to have quite possibly been exaggerated just a little. I think a few posters have cleared up that the routines weren't fully marked yet it's still ignored and others continue to refer to the routines being fully marked. There in fact is a huge different between not one single skill being thrown to some of the skills not being thrown. Could the program have pulled out SURE but everyone knows that competition companies do not give refunds so the money would have been lost regardless then that would have lead to another topic on the boards titled "Pulling out of competitions that have already been paid for" lol. There is a reason for the madness that sometimes parents do not understand unless they are in that leadership position and have the responsibility of the athletes in their hands. I think that it's best to take a step back and think before you decided to air out your issues in a public forum because while you personally may be able to vent and feel better about others posting in your favor quite often you've thrown your program under the bus and invite negative attention that is not wanted or needed. I think it's safe to say that they'll be throwing the full routines at nationals this coming weekend. Give them the benefit of the doubt and know that we don't always have to be privy as to why a certain decision was made especially when it wasn't yours to make. Just a little food for thought.

And you're entitled to your opinion. Whether you intended it or not, when I read your post, I interpreted it as if the kids were not giving it their all. Honestly, my kids are part of that "gym as a whole", so when you're referring to the gym and the teams in question (my kids team) not giving 110%, I did feel it necessary to bold the statement. Whether you agree with our coaches decision or not, keep in mind that there were kids on that floor, on those teams, who did give a great effort yesterday.

Bottomline, I stand by my daughters' coaches' decision yesterday. They did what they felt was best for the team, not what the crowd and people from other programs thought they should see. My girls had fun and left there yesterday feeling good. I can't argue with that.

And if your kids are happy, the parents are happy and the coaches are happy, then great for you and your gym..AGAIN JMO!! I certainly know that the kids have no say in what the coaches ask them to do.

Didn't have shoes on?? This has to be wrong...
No, not wrong. There was a boy on Prodigy that didn't have shoes on. I didn't notice it, but my daughter did. We weren't quite sure why, though. Maybe they were accidentally left at home and he didn't have a pair to borrow?? Who knows!

Oh man! Well I hope your little one feels better. I know we have had several girls on our Youth 2 with the stomach flu. Hoping & praying they're well by this weekend. Can't wait to see all the UA teams in Indy!! My CP's level 3 has to be in the convention center at 6:30am. UGH!!!!

Oh man! Well I hope your little one feels better. I know we have had several girls on our Youth 2 with the stomach flu. Hoping & praying they're well by this weekend. Can't wait to see all the UA teams in Indy!! My CP's level 3 has to be in the convention center at 6:30am. UGH!!!!
Thank you! She was feeling much better by this morning and even went to school today. So, I'm hoping it's behind us and that no one else gets it.

We're looking forward to seeing all of the ICE teams in Indy too! Ooohhh, 6:30am, that's rough! Thankfully, both my girls' teams are later in the day, so we get to sleep in. Good luck to you this weekend!

I know I was upset that they marked..I was excited to see a good show! :D On a side note, we just had our break about a week ago and were lucky enough to get most teams in the gym for at least 1-2 practices before this weekend. But, the way our girls practiced made it seem like they had been out for weeks! So I can understand (for safety purposes) marking parts of the routine. Gym owners put a lot of time into choosing the schedule, hence why I think our level 5 team was not scheduled to attend this competition due to Jamfest being next weekend.

What I say is that it wasn't Indy, Cheersport, NCA, or Worlds.. who cares.

Its a small competition that not a lot of teams were at. They were able to get feedback on choreography and the other little details besides skills which might have been a necessary move from them before a big nationals. Obviously UA has the level 5 skills. DONE!! :cheering:

What I say is that it wasn't Indy, Cheersport, NCA, or Worlds.. who cares.

Its a small competition that not a lot of teams were at. They were able to get feedback on choreography and the other little details besides skills which might have been a necessary move from them before a big nationals. Obviously UA has the level 5 skills. DONE!! :cheering:

Oh my, a team marking their routine at NCA, Worlds, etc. I can only imagine how that would go over hahah.

As far as the uniform pieces, since we have different options and looks and we get details of what team is wearing the skirt vs the shorts but I know our neighbor was going straight to the competition from somewhere else and packed the shorts when she really needed the skirt. We are advised to bring all of the pieces of the uniform to each competition but things happen and people forget pieces but since the shorts and skirt is so similar I didn't even notice, not like they were wearing a totally different color uniform. That is the beauty of the uniform IMO. As far as people not competing with shoes, I didn't notice that either until my daughter told me who didn't have shoes and since it was a boy there was no other boys to borrow shoes from on a different team. Again, I didn't even notice! ;)

Back