All-Star Is Non-Tumbling ruining cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 4, 2010
It seems like some gyms, even strong “powerhouse” ones, are beginning to field as many Non-Tumbling Level 6 teams as “regular” Level 6 teams. I’m wondering how many athletes on these NT teams legitimately cannot tumble/ refuse to participate in that aspect of competitive cheer. Or are athletes who could easily handle being on a “real” Level 6 team being relegated to these NT teams because the gym doesn’t think they have enough tumbling for an actual Level 6 division.

Regardless, there seem to be fewer Level 6 tumblers throughout the US than there used to be. There is less incentive to work up to Level 6 tumbling because you can go to Worlds with no tumbling at all. (Summit/ASW offers a similar chance to go to Florida at the end of the year without being Level 6.)

If your gym only offers a NT team, you might as well stop tumbling once you reach the Worlds level. And how backwards does that sound… when you get to the highest level, stop tumbling all together!

NT does serve a useful purpose, but many gyms just seem to throw random NT teams together that are a mixture of Level 6 athletes, Level 4 athletes, beginners with no tumbling… It’s just random and messes with the natural progressions of cheer.

I might be more accepting of NT if they moved it to Summit. But overall I hate the idea of athletes abandoning tumbling at the “highest level”. And it’s not like there are no places for non-tumblers on regular Level 6 teams. Practically every Level 6 team has at least one athlete that can’t tumble anywhere near Level 6. But at least they’re still working on their tumbling every practice instead of acting like tumbling isn’t part of a cheer routine.

I wonder if there are fewer Level 6 “tumbling” teams than previous years, or if it just feels that way because there are so many divisions these days.

If there are truly fewer level six tumblers, it has nothing to do with the NT division. Cost, increased youth sport injuries, and education of those injuries long term are huge factors impacting all youth sports today. Add to that, qualified coaching nation and worldwide. NT can easily save a parent a few thousand dollars per year and it's smart sport business to provide a high level sport option that opens a larger avenue to highly talented athletes that's more cost effective. "Exclusive" equals expensive.

I'm not going to dispute there are some NT teams at World's that are hot messes. With that said, if you go back pre NT years, there were just as many level 6 tumble teams you would have said the exact same thing concerning their tumbling and stunting. There is no doubt NT will increase in difficulty and intensity each year to be competitive, and there are many highly entertaining teams who continue to raise the bar. Perhaps, more importantly, it has allowed many talented older athletes to stay in a sport they enjoy and help keep costs down.

And yet, NT has extended my cheer career since I stopped tumbling several years ago (I'm too old now). I could be on a tumble team, but will always feel that I'm not putting forth everything while others tumble and I don't (and I was on tumble teams for years as a very mediocre tumbler). NT means I can fully contribute to my team and I can guarantee I've cheered 4-5 years now longer than I had likely planned because of NT, and I can keep improving my stunt skills too. Lots of athletes will stay longer than they had planned because they now have a place to cheer where they aren't feeling held back by tumbling after years of trying, and where they feel they fully contribute to their team. It's not ruining cheer. It's offering more to keep athletes participating for longer periods of time (Long Term Athlete Development). Perhaps you mean 'is NT ruining traditional level 6?'

As a parent of a kid who ended up with long-term joint issues, I'd like to put in a plea to keep NT or limited tumbling. Increased ligament laxity due to estrogen levels can really cause problems for kids who already were somewhat hypermobile, and reducing the amount of stress on those joints can give them a route to stay in cheer with less injury risk.

I would argue that making cheer more inclusive is the exact opposite of "ruining cheer".

My personal opinion though is no tumble should go to summit, not worlds. Most no tumble kids (no offense) are less talented than most worlds teams. Junior 6 goes to summit even though there L6, no tumble should to.

My personal opinion though is no tumble should go to summit, not worlds. Most no tumble kids (no offense) are less talented than most worlds teams. Junior 6 goes to summit even though there L6, no tumble should to.
I agree. I would also argue that NT should be level 4 stunts, because with the exception of a handful of teams at Worlds, most NT teams would not be competitive as a level 3 team

The IASF Open NT level 3-7 divisions are now a thing here in the UK. Often there will only be one team per division at comps and the standard of stunting can be pretty dodgy (although I’ve seen some excellent teams too). Overall I think the NT divisions are a good way of keeping adult athletes in the sport who may have otherwise retired and offers some progression opportunities for the many athletes who start cheerleading as teens or at university.

The IASF Open NT level 3-7 divisions are now a thing here in the UK. Often there will only be one team per division at comps and the standard of stunting can be pretty dodgy (although I’ve seen some excellent teams too). Overall I think the NT divisions are a good way of keeping adult athletes in the sport who may have otherwise retired and offers some progression opportunities for the many athletes who start cheerleading as teens or at university.
Especially with the new age grid in the UK implementing the ten year age range for senior divisions.

I agree. I would also argue that NT should be level 4 stunts, because with the exception of a handful of teams at Worlds, most NT teams would not be competitive as a level 3 team
You're right, there are truly some very non-competitive teams out there. With that said, and I'll reference what @njcoach said about 4.2 when it was first introduced. The first year retired kid's gym decided to do a 4.2 team it was beyond a hot mess, and they had one level 4 skill. They were the joke of the gym. Fast forward 9 years, and that 4.2 team was nominated as one of the "most fun to watch non-World's teams." In a twist of irony, World athletes volunteer to be on that team when there's an injury. My point only being, anytime you have a new division, there's going to be a large learning curve, and there are many gyms out there fielding a NT division with no World experience.

Next, and the biggest of all truths, EP's have to fill venues. In the most humble and sincere way of asking, what do you all that are anti-NT at World's suggest in their place? In the past it was just more teams in the same divisions that most complained, they didn't deserve to be there, as well. I, personally, would much rather watch the most talented NT teams, or insert whatever the new division there is in the top ranks, than number 40+ ranked in a small handful of divisions.

Back