High School Jamfest Or Basketball Game?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2011
Okay, so, I have quite a problem. I've been planning on going to Jamfest Supernationals for the first time! I started planning in about July! Well I just got our schedule for all the basketball games we're cheering at. So of course, one of our games is on January 14th! I figured that we could just leave after the game and stay at a hotel and watch Day 2! But my parents don't want to drive for a long time at night! They want me to talk to my coach about missing that game. So to all you coaches out there, how would you feel if one of your cheerleaders came up to you and asked if they could miss a game to go to Jamfest?

Well, i'm 16 & coached a group of 13 year olds this season and 90% of the time my girls wanted to miss a practice was to go to a high school football game, unacceptable to me. But if it's something you've been planning for a long time with your parents I don't see why not to miss ONE game out of however many. Or even at least go to half of the game? Hope you figure it out :)

If you tell them in advance, and that you've been planning it since July then they shouldn't have a problem, plus if it's only one game and just one person(you) missing it, then it shouldn't really mess anything up. I coach a JV team and i personally would not mind as long as they told me in advance.

I agree with dawgshow... if you're not cheering at Jamfest, you have an obligation to your team to be at the game. As a coach I would not be happy if one of my kids wanted to miss something they committed to by being on the team, just to go watch another competition. I'd tell them to watch the videos or whatever they have to do, but be at the game.

We have a rotating schedule for basketball games, so each stunt group misses about 3 games. In addition to that, we give our girls one "freebie" miss as long as tell they coach in writing before the day of the game. Ask if your coach has some kind of policy about that.

I'm just going to watch. My parents are really like pushing me to talk to the coach about it, which I'm really nervous to do. I think I'm just going to talk to my coach and just ask her how she would feel about it! Instead of just being like ohh I'm gonna miss this game to go to Jamfest. I'll just ask her how she would feel if I would miss the game to go to Jamfest and if there would be any consequences! If she's upset about it, I'll just not go.

What are the possibilities of you going next year?
I'd say if this was you're only chance to go then I would take that opportunity. There are so many basketball games in a season, so, if your coach is understanding then I would definitely go.

At the high school I coach at we have had to miss a few games for competitions. We either tell the coaches we are unavailable or we ask our middle school team to cheer the game for us. You never have that same opportunity, new competition, teams, and judges each year. It may be your year to win! So talk to your coaches and talk to your middle school program either way something should work out, hopefully they respect that you are a nationally competitive squad! Good luck, hope this helped!

When I cheered in highschool we broke up in to mini teams of 4 Marroon, silver, white, and black. If you could find someone to take your place our coaches had no problem with you missing a game. It was hard to get a sub most of us hated cheering for basketball. I think thats why the coaches didn't give us a limit they must've known we would control it ourselves. I never thought about that till just now.

As a coach, there are certain acceptable reasons to miss and others that are not. TBH, I know my team has gotten "smarter" with excuses but less smart about what they tell the team, so it ends up getting back to me... My advice is you HAVE to tell your coach you are missing and the reason why. Follow you protocol (needs to be x amount of time beforehand, in writing, whatever it may be) and and also remember there are most likely consequences on if you miss a game/practice, etc.

Also remember that we keep in mind WHY you missed games and events, etc. So if this has been planned and this is something you want to do, simply tell her why you will be missing and be prepared for possible consequences.

I don't see why any coach would be upset about that... I mean if you've been planning then you should be able to go. I had a trip to Quebec city for my French 3 class the day after choreographer practice, but I told my coach ahead of time and she was fine with it. Just don't wait untill last minute to spring it upon your coach.

when I was in High school I was on the diving team and also part of an allstar cheer program. Well guess what, I had sections for diving and Jamfest Supernationals on the same date. Well in order for me to make it to jamfest I would have to either disqualify myself out of the 1 or 2nd round, or not recieve enough combined points to move on. Well coming from an acrobatic background, I either overrotated or underrotated each skills. Needless to say I never made it to round 3, ;) and made it to jamfest to compete. My grandma was quite upset b/c she knew after executing those skills near perfect throughout the season, not hitting it when it counted was a bit suspicious. I know this is a different scenario, but just providing an example. This was the first year ACE and Stingrays went to jamfest. I HAD to go:)

Back