All-Star Jammed Thumb

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2009
Has anyone jammed their thumb before? If so how long did it take to feel better?!

I jammed mine in November catching a basket and iced it for a while. Then hit it again in December a second & a third time and ended up getting an X-ray. (Nothing broken or fractured, just torn ligaments) but I was put in a splint over Christmas break after my X-ray. I just got it off in time for practice tomorrow & I have seemed to irritate it again today :(

Has anyone jammed their thumb before? If so how long did it take to feel better?!

I jammed mine in November catching a basket and iced it for a while. Then hit it again in December a second & a third time and ended up getting an X-ray. (Nothing broken or fractured, just torn ligaments) but I was put in a splint over Christmas break after my X-ray. I just got it off in time for practice tomorrow & I have seemed to irritate it again today :(

I did a similar thing but with my finger and I kept finding that it would feel totally fine normally and then I would do a simple task such as... picking up a heavy pan or a book and I would slightly over-strain it and it would be sore for the next hour or so . Unfortunately that was last year and I still get pains, not really sure if that's what you wanted to hear! :/

I would tape it for practices and wear your splint whenever you need to. It can take a while for the ligaments to heal and it is important to not over strain them again. You might try looking up some physical therapy exercises to help.

Yes, I jammed my thumb my senior year of cheer and it is not fun to stunt like that, especially as a back and a side base. Luckily, my friend at school who played softball showed me that when they jam their thumbs they wrap them with medical tape like this: Thumb Taping - Thumb Strapping - Strap Thumb - PhysioAdvisor

So I taped my thumb like that for about a month until it felt healed and it helped a LOT. For the most part, it allowed me to use my thumb to do all cheer related things and it took about 75% of the pain away while I stunted. That may help you. Good luck.

Thank you all for the responses! I feel like such a wimp complaining about my thumb haha but It's ridiculous how much it really can hurt. & I have taped it before and the tape made it feel worse :/ but I'm going to try again tomorrow!

Thanks so much again!

Not a jammed thumb, but my grandpa was in a four wheeler accident maybe 10 ish? years ago and did some pretty severe damage to one of his hands. Anyway, part of his PT was to play with silly putty in that hand every day and it really helped to strengthen the muscles and ligaments. No idea if it would help you or not, but it's worth a shot! Get better soon!

Honestly, hurting any of your fingers is TERRIBLE and hurts so bad! I had a similar thumb injury last year and it hurt for months. I hurt it last february and I taped it until at least may.

Try taping it a little looser. It may be too tight causing more pain instead of helping. A simple jammed finger can take months to heal. Ligament damage may delay the healing process. Hope you feel better soon!

I did the same thing a couple years ago. I used a thumb brace my mom found at Wal-Mart and it worked really well. I don't tumble though so I don't know how well it would work for tumbling. My thumb hurt for a long time though. It hurt really bad when I did simple tasks for a couple months. Good luck

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Jammed thumbs and fingers are the worst! Just like everyone else said, tape it so that it's immobile. Keep it taped/braced all the time, not just during practice.

If you have not already you might want to get it checked. One of my daughters friend thought she jammed her thumb. It kept hurting. Her Mom eventually made her go in for an x ray. Found out it was a fracture.

Seems like common sense, but don't try and "pull it out" like some people say to do. I had the athletic trainer at my school tell me that after I jammed my middle finger so I spent a long weekend yanking on my finger. After it inevitably got worse I went to an actual doctor, who said that's the worst thing to do. It's been 4 months and it's still swollen...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If you have not already you might want to get it checked. One of my daughters friend thought she jammed her thumb. It kept hurting. Her Mom eventually made her go in for an x ray. Found out it was a fracture.

I got one after my last comp, no fracture, not even a hair line fracture. Just several torn ligaments. I kept it taped today & yesterday at practice and so far so good. Just one more tomorrow that I have to make it through! Thanks everyone

Soak it in Epsom Salts......hottest water you can stand and dissolve 3/4 to a cup of the salt in the water. Soak it for 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a day. I messed up my foot..kicked the dresser and it hurt so bad. Soaked it for about a week and it felt much better!!! (Ask Princess...she'll laugh but she'll tell you it's my cure all.......along with neosporin on everything)

Back