All-Star Junior 5 At Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Somewhere out there, Shady Athletics has taken a break from competing a Senior 4 as Senior 1 at Summit and is now trying to figure out how to somehow flip their Senior 5 Worlds team that never made it out of prelims into a J5 and make their Worlds dreams a reality....

In all seriousness, I am not opposed to this at all.

There will be kids who will go to Worlds (or whatever this new event may be) at 9, win and decide to retire because there is nothing left to do.

I assure you that those are the 1% of cheer.

There average J5 kid is not that.

CSP posted in the coaches fb group asking for a list of all the J5 teams.... now it makes sense.
Dang! That was fast [emoji23]
ETA: I'm sure there isn't many right now but if it goes through I'm sure they will be more next season, what's the point to try to find out right now how many teams there is? Also I thought it was a maybe there will be a Junior 5 division?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for it!

There was a time when cheer fans used to truly appreciate the talents of the many young athletes on junior 5 all star teams. In fact many of those junior teams actually had more notoriety than some of the senior teams in their gyms. When the decision was made to remove junior divisions from Worlds it caused a huge ripple effect that no one expected. Not only did the fans not care as much anymore it also caused the premature advancement of 12 year olds to senior teams simply because it was the only way the athlete could attend "The Cheerleading Worlds" and as a result the decline in interest in all junior 5 divisions. For years we've watched the number of participants drop particularly in the large divisions with small junior 5 being the more common division for entry. Programs that used to have some of the most revered teams in the division seemed to no longer focus on them or in some cases not even field a team at all.

Now I'm not completely against a 12 year old being on a senior team but at our gym that only happens for a special kind of athlete who is a superb talent way beyond her years. Even then this is something that is an extreme rarity for us which is why we have maintained a large junior or large junior coed team year after year. Now that 5 seasons have past and junior 5 divisions are once again on the rise in numbers I think this couldn't come at a better time.

Even if the event takes place at a different time so what! I can almost guarantee that attendance at this event will be more successful than the junior 5 divisions at the Summit. My only hope is that it's still "The Cheerleading Worlds" with the same trophies, banners, and medals as the senior divisions.

I think this would be good!
  • It would help keep Jr age kids on Jrs
  • It would make them feel special
  • No need to rush Jrs up to Srs
  • If it meant there were more talented teams at worlds eg. good Jr instead of bad st.
Only one thing though, this could kill the Youth 5 division.

Although hmm, Youth Elite could potentially pull a 2006(?) Panthers Jags and compete up an age group as a junior team....

(Thanks @luv2cheer92 )

No no no. I signed up for youth 5 and Sunmit! My kid is, in my opinion, not nearly mature enough for that. I don't care what skills she throws. Besides, we have multiple amazing junior 5 teams so we have no need for YE to move up.

I think this would be good!
  • It would help keep Jr age kids on Jrs
  • It would make them feel special
  • No need to rush Jrs up to Srs
  • If it meant there were more talented teams at worlds eg. good Jr instead of bad st.
Only one thing though, this could kill the Youth 5 division.

All great points! Now my only question would be isn't the Youth 5 division already a dying division? I love the lil one's but as far as I know there are only 5 in the whole country.

• Cheer Extreme Allstars Youth Elite Butterflies (Small)
  • Cheer Sport White Cheek Sharks (Small)
  • East Celebrity Elite Y5 (Large)
  • Maryland Twisters Super 5 (Small)
  • World Cup Allstars Twinkles (Large)

You're very welcome! It made waiting for my delayed flight much more enjoyable.
Something tells me Mini teams competing up will not be to much of a concern. I think most are worried about the opposite. This will help the situation IMO.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All great points! Now my only question would be isn't the Youth 5 division already a dying division? I love the lil one's but as far as I know there are only 5 in the whole country.

• Cheer Extreme Allstars Youth Elite Butterflies (Small)
  • Cheer Sport White Cheek Sharks (Small)
  • East Celebrity Elite Y5 (Large)
  • Maryland Twisters Super 5 (Small)
  • World Cup Allstars Twinkles (Large)
There used to be about 10 a couple of years ago :(, I love the division too!
Yes and because it's already a dying division, I just think this will kill it.

Back