All-Star Junior 5 At Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have been around since Juniors competed at Worlds. Some of those kids are just now about to age off of some senior teams. I agree, that with the removal of Juniors from Worlds, we have seen the amount of teams in the Junior 5 divisions decline. This is probably because the smaller gyms might not be able to field 2 separate L5 teams and a Worlds team is definitely a priority. I am "old school" and really think that Worlds is an experience for the older athletes as a culmination of their careers. I understand why Summit was designed and hope it keeps our sport growing and moving forward. I have always been under the impression that Summit was supposed to field these other divisions so that they could compete against the best of the best in their divisions. With the idea of adding juniors back to Worlds, some of the same issues we encountered back then still exist. We could potentially have ages ranging from 10-25, which would be a huge concern for most parents of these young children. I was concerned (still am sometimes LOL) when my CP was 14/15 competing. IMO there is not enough supervision at Worlds even now and by adding even more, possibly younger athletes, this becomes much more important. With the addition of juniors, there might be the consideration of changing age grids, allowing even younger athletes than 10 possibly. Perhaps requiring parents of these young athletes to chaperone/stay with their own children might be a step in the right direction. Perhaps having them compete on different days might be another option as well. Just my two cents....

Well aren't you the voice of reason :D. Don't you know that's not allowed here?

Lol! It is the stage manager in me, but I guess it is even funnier when you realize that the level 1 mom asking :)

but seriously....how will this work? Will J5R be invited? Will it be the same weekend as Worlds? If it isn't, will it go against Summit , or extend the all star season for another week? Is it definitely going to happen at WDW? What about Xovers?

This would bring 2 options:

1. They would have to bring back international open junior coed and allgirl.
OR
2. Have a mini-worlds for youth 5, junior restricted and non-restricted 5, and senior restricted 5.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about juniors going back to worlds.
I wouldn't mind it if, and really only if, they handled it the way they did the last year juniors went to worlds. Compete for a bid via video and limit the amount of bids given, treat them as international teams and do the three team per country rule. I already have a problem with the amount of teams that are there that don't need to be. A bajillion junior teams wouldn't help.

I also have mixed feelings about the possibility of having ANOTHER "worlds" comp. We already have worlds and summit... Why create something else? (I know the answer is money).

I have been around since Juniors competed at Worlds. Some of those kids are just now about to age off of some senior teams. I agree, that with the removal of Juniors from Worlds, we have seen the amount of teams in the Junior 5 divisions decline. This is probably because the smaller gyms might not be able to field 2 separate L5 teams and a Worlds team is definitely a priority. I am "old school" and really think that Worlds is an experience for the older athletes as a culmination of their careers. I understand why Summit was designed and hope it keeps our sport growing and moving forward. I have always been under the impression that Summit was supposed to field these other divisions so that they could compete against the best of the best in their divisions. With the idea of adding juniors back to Worlds, some of the same issues we encountered back then still exist. We could potentially have ages ranging from 10-25, which would be a huge concern for most parents of these young children. I was concerned (still am sometimes LOL) when my CP was 14/15 competing. IMO there is not enough supervision at Worlds even now and by adding even more, possibly younger athletes, this becomes much more important. With the addition of juniors, there might be the consideration of changing age grids, allowing even younger athletes than 10 possibly. Perhaps requiring parents of these young athletes to chaperone/stay with their own children might be a step in the right direction. Perhaps having them compete on different days might be another option as well. Just my two cents....

Such a great perspective! You make quite a few valid points. I have to say if supervision is of concern I share that same concern even with senior aged athletes. My program does not allow our teams to attend the block party and if they do attend it's only because their parents allowed them to go against our recommendation fully knowing what takes place there. When my junior team attended worlds their parents were present and they did fun kid things, after all we're at Disney World. We never had one issue unlike the multiple issues that senior athletes have created.

I have to argue that the same issues that could happen at "The Cheerleading Worlds" could happen at JamFest Super Nationals, NCA All Stars Nationals, UCA International All Star, and etc. Aren't ages 5 - 25 at all these events?

At our gym the kids that won worlds titles as juniors moved up to the senior program and continued to be successful there. Junior aged athletes are going to attend Worlds whether we like it or not it's just that for the past 5 years the've been on senior teams rather than remaining on team with their peers for longer period of time.

This would bring 2 options:

1. They would have to bring back international open junior coed and allgirl.
OR
2. Have a mini-worlds for youth 5, junior restricted and non-restricted 5, and senior restricted 5.
The second part then brings up the argument that if R5 can go to worlds, why can't all levels? It would probably be best to stick to levels 5 and 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second part then brings up the argument that if R5 can go to worlds, why can't all levels? It would probably be best to stick to levels 5 and 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then they just should take away R5... I don't even like it anyway...

Such a great perspective! You make quite a few valid points. I have to say if supervision is of concern I share that same concern even with senior aged athletes. My program does not allow our teams to attend the block party and if they do attend it's only because their parents allowed them to go against our recommendation fully knowing what takes place there. When my junior team attended worlds their parents were present and they did fun kid things, after all we're at Disney World. We never had one issue unlike the multiple issues that senior athletes have created.

I have to argue that the same issues that could happen at "The Cheerleading Worlds" could happen at JamFest Super Nationals, NCA All Stars Nationals, UCA International All Star, and etc. Aren't ages 5 - 25 at all these events?

At our gym the kids that won worlds titles as juniors moved up to the senior program and continued to be successful there. Junior aged athletes are going to attend Worlds whether we like it or not it's just that for the past 5 years the've been on senior teams rather than remaining on team with their peers for longer period of time.
I think the big difference with Worlds is that the "paid bid" comes into play and how many teams stay together and book their rooms as blocks. This alone can affect the supervision/parental interaction. I will say that these things could happen at other competitions (and probably do) but they are run a little bit differently and most teams don't all stay together with 4 athletes to a room and limited chaperones. The Block Party has changed a bit in the last couple of years with the dividing of the age divisions within the party. I have heard a lot of positive things about that in the last year or two so that is a good thing. The "party" at the Sports is another matter altogether and certainly has it's concerns which could be a reason that more and more gyms are choosing to stay elsewhere.

I have mixed feelings about juniors going back to worlds.
I wouldn't mind it if, and really only if, they handled it the way they did the last year juniors went to worlds. Compete for a bid via video and limit the amount of bids given, treat them as international teams and do the three team per country rule. I already have a problem with the amount of teams that are there that don't need to be. A bajillion junior teams wouldn't help.

I also have mixed feelings about the possibility of having ANOTHER "worlds" comp. We already have worlds and summit... Why create something else? (I know the answer is money).

you had me until there. Three per country does not make Worlds better.

No no no. I signed up for youth 5 and Sunmit! My kid is, in my opinion, not nearly mature enough for that. I don't care what skills she throws. Besides, we have multiple amazing junior 5 teams so we have no need for YE to move up.

oh no, this was mostly just me thinking out loud and musing ideas out there--if there were no crossovers allowed between senior and junior teams for this event (be it part of Worlds or something different) one team that definitely does *not* have athletes that cross to senior teams is YE.

you had me until there. Three per country does not make Worlds better.

I mainly liked the way juniors were chosen their last year for the reduced amount of teams/bids given. It made it more prestigious IMO. To be honest, I don't really care how many advanced to finals. The way international teams are chosen for finals doesn't really bother me - I actually like it. I think the international division is the hardest division to be successful in because of the 3 team per country rule. It's harder to make finals and it is more impressive to me.

I just don't want 50 extra teams there because of juniors. I want Worlds to be more prestigious and harder to get to. Treat it like it's really the best of the best - not a competition where teams get to go just for the experience. (I'm mainly talking about US gyms. I know a million people are going to quote me saying how "we should give everyone a chance to go to worlds for the experience" but I don't think so. It's like a weird side umbrella of the "Participation Medal" thing.)

Edited bc holy typos. I obviously can't type and skype.

No no no. I signed up for youth 5 and Sunmit! My kid is, in my opinion, not nearly mature enough for that. I don't care what skills she throws. Besides, we have multiple amazing junior 5 teams so we have no need for YE to move up.

@gofriars610 we never took our Juniors to Worlds, even when it was a thing.

If this becomes a new thing you probably will now since CSP is all for it.

I can't speak for CSP but I have to assume one of the bigger reasons she never brought juniors to worlds is because of the crossovers. If this new Junior Worlds thing has crossover limitations similar to worlds and the Summit, CSP might have to choose between crossovers or the competition, a decision I could see her going either way on.

Back