All-Star Let's Talk Technique...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 17, 2009
So in watching a lot of Cheersport vids over the last week, I've decided that it's important that we start really thinking (as an industry) which programs are leading this sport in technique. Sure there are big name gyms that everyone knows and loves, but there are a good amount of gyms that have ridiculously talented kids (especially in lower levels) and one thing that stands out is their technique. I could start a whole other thread about who has the most flavorful choreography in my opinion (Top Gun, CheerForce, Vizions), but I'll save that for later.

Two programs that come to mind are:

Twisters Allstars from GA. RIDIC. Watch any (and I do mean ANY) of their routines and you'll notice that their jumps, stunts, and tumbling on average have SUPERB technique. I'm obsessed. Especially w/ their flyer body control/ body positions.

Flip City Allstars (from FL)- again, from the few routines I watched, they have very solid technique. The coaches are definitely doing something right down there.

For larger names:

I'd say that both Spirit of Texas and Stingrays have the best technique across the board IMO. Sure other programs are pretty good, but I am confident that if I brought my kids (don't have any yet, haha) to either of these fours gyms, they'd learn how to be really great cheerleaders and have good technique in all their skills.

Ultimate Athletics has also been impressing me lately as well. Love their flair and technique.

Any other standouts? Be specific. Discuss

I have to agree on Flip City. I just caught their Youth 2 for the first time at Cheersport, and I was like, "Wow!" Just such a clean, technically sound routine.

Thanks for the UA shoutout as well. I think sometimes technique suffers with increased difficulty and creativity in our routines, but this year more than ever, a good emphasis has been put on having all of that and a clean routine on the floor.

Have to agree with you on all accounts. My CP is a flyer for Twisters and technique is everything at our gym.

I really liked Flip City and UA at Cheersport. Looking forward to competing against UA again at Summit!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just watched the Flip City youth 2 team... they look amazing. And those jumps!

I know that Pro Athletics ShowStoppers are another really good technique youth team.

And I would say that Brandon is another well know gym that has really good technique.

1) Vizion All Stars from Michigan This gym has some amazing athletes, not to mention has came out FIERCE! Great owners and coaches also! Their choreography and technique is phenomenal. I'm a tad partial as we just became part of their program, from a larger gym here. Definitely a gym that is one to watch!

2) Flip (FL). I like this gym also! Clean, great choreography!!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Madtown Twisters always pops into my head when I hear beautiful tumbling, and in all of the videos of new skills I see
@cupieqt 's gym getting tagged they always have beautiful tumbling-especially layouts :)

Also, Royalty Athletics out of Stevens Point, WI. Super clean! Prettiest double downs I have ever seen!!

A question for coaches or judges......I have noticed a growing trend of what I'll call "smoke and mirrors". At Cheersport I saw many level 4 and 5 teams that would full-up for a nanosecond and go immediately back down to a smoosh and then switch up, to a nanosecond heel stretch, and immediately basket. While this nanosecond stunting can be visually exciting, is this really considered hitting a skill? Are they being scored the same as a team that may appear less visually exciting, but is actually hitting and holding their positions?

Back