All-Star Level 1 Q

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rules have changed since last year, including the definition of a spotter
This is going to give safety judges headaches every.single.competition this year. I actually like the change, from a safety perspective, but headaches galore...

Darn that sucks. I get the safety aspect also but for small teams it stinks. Thanks guys!

You cannot do a two-man prep without a backspot.

However... You can do a assisted one-man at prep level with a spotter.

For example, if you have a base holding both feet of a top person in a coed grip at prep level, and you have a spotter on the side holding toe and ankle, then you are fulfilling the spotter requirement.

I have a modified two man grip and I'm putting six two man preps up on my small J1 team. You can do it for sure. Heck, you can even cradle out of it!

For example, if you have a base holding both feet of a top person in a coed grip at prep level, and you have a spotter on the side holding toe and ankle, then you are fulfilling the spotter requirement.
This is how you can do it. The base has to have hands on BOTH feet, and the spotter has to be properly positioned. In the past, you could have the side base holding one foot and the spotter holding the toe and ankle of the other, and that spotter would be counted as both a base and a spotter. Now with the redefinition of spotter, the spotter cannot be both the base and the required spotter at the same time, so if the spotter is the only person on one of the feet, he/she will count as a base, not a spotter. Clear as mud, yes? It actually isn't that complicated, but if you have been someone who has been pushing the boundaries of people being counted as a base and a spotter, you need to really check the new rules and glossary.

Thank you! We are having trouble since we have a really small team so far and choreo wise we have 3 stunt sections plus pyramid and it's just difficult with the amount of people lol thanks everyone!!!

that seems so stupid to me.. IMO a prep with two bases is far more safe than a one man with a spotter.. *sigh* i guess all rules have loopholes

that seems so stupid to me.. IMO a prep with two bases is far more safe than a one man with a spotter.. *sigh* i guess all rules have loopholes

Maybe on older kids, but on youth 1 and younger I'd 100% rather have someone in the head/shoulders/neck catching region than just two bases and no back. My youth 1 back spots were always my MVPs because they saved lives a countless number of times when learning new skills because they're in a position to catch the falling new flyers (who stick their butts out and fall backwards more than any other direction)

Maybe on older kids, but on youth 1 and younger I'd 100% rather have someone in the head/shoulders/neck catching region than just two bases and no back. My youth 1 back spots were always my MVPs because they saved lives a countless number of times when learning new skills because they're in a position to catch the falling new flyers (who stick their butts out and fall backwards more than any other direction)
I would only let a junior *maybe* or senior team do a double base without a back spot. My girls are seniors [emoji106]

Not really, a spotter can let go and move to catch if a stunt is falling, a true base can not.

Either way, safety headache

Back