All-Star Level 2 Or 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Katybugmom

Cheer Parent
Jan 5, 2011
My daughter has been given the choice to pick level 2 Jr team- she is 9 or Level 3 Sr. Coed. She just got her rbhs back tuck and is a strong tumbler and base. I feel like the coaches really want her on the 3 team for numbers. I asked my daughter what she wanted and she was very torn so I told her to pray. Today she told me she wants to stay on a level 2 team because she thinks she could be really supportive of new girls that are joining the team and really help them out. She is not concerned about winning or her skills- she just wants to help others which makes me SOOOO proud. But, I don't want to upset the coaches :(
What would you do?

I would keep her on the junior team. She'd be with kids her own age and since she's only 9 she wouldn't be able to base on the senior team (unless there were other 9 or 10 year olds on the team). I think that staying on the junior team will help her improve her skills with kids that she'll probably be cheering with for years to come.

I agree with the posts above me, especially since you said she just got her ro bhs tuck. Staying on level 2 for another season will give her an opportunity to improve her tumbling so she can go into level 3 with a really solid tuck and already be working on new skills.

I would ask the coaches where the best fit for her is. If they say that it's the senior 3 team, then I'd ask some tough questions about how they'd handle a 9-year-old on a team of older kids, and what they think her role on the team would be.

At that age, I've always been a big believer that it's better to keep those kids on more age-appropriate teams where they can be leaders and shine, rather than be just another kid on a higher level team.

My daughter's a year younger, but in the similar boat in that she's very close to having her level 3 tumbling. In theory, she could move up to our gym's higher-level youth team. But we think she's much better off staying on a mini 2 team for another year, being more of a leader on that squad, and then moving up next season when she should truly be ready.

I would agree with keeping her on Level 2, especially since that is where she state's she'd like to be. Her tumbling is a new skill, and I've had kids completely stressed out because of their spot on a higher level. If level 2 is where she is comfortable, GREAT! She can use the summer/season to perfect those level 3 skills.

I also agree with newcheerdad in regards to keeping her on the age-appropriate team. On a senior aged team, who knows what she's going to hear in some of the older kids' conversations.

Wishing her an AMAZING season! :)

Good luck!! It seems that she is very mature with her decision making. The coaches should understand. She is young and has plenty of time to be on a senior team!

Very mature decision from your 9 yr old. If she wants to stay on the j2 then let her. The coaches will understand. Good luck!

I say let her stay on a L2 team if that's what she wants. If she can be a leader on that team and help better her teammates than I don't see why the coaches would have a problem with it, if they do, oh well, that's their fault for letting her choose. I also believe she would be put in an awkward position and get lost in the crowd being only 9 and on a team with 16 and 17 year olds but, that's just my opinion. Ultimately, the decision is your's and your daughter's and you just need to be there to support whatever decision she makes. Good luck to you and your CP!

Let the coaches know, I had level 4 skills but they put me on YOUTH three instead of J3....and i was turning 13 that year... So i quit then moved to another gym and i made Sr. Coed 3. The other gym wanted more girls. Your case is the opposite. let the coaches know what your daughter wants to do :)

I think the junior team, if she's a base for sure! Also, she's only 9 and i know on my senior team there are a lot of older kids (like freshman in college) and they may not be the best influence on nine year olds. We had an 11 year old on the team next year and she struggled to relate to a lot of the older kids so i recommend keeping her with her friends. but... i don't know your kid and her personality so i'm sure whatever decision you make will work well!

Back