College Limping On...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 22, 2012
Soooo, Im still recovering from a second acl surgery on my left knee (along with mcl and meniscus). At first, my doctor thought my meniscus was totally destroyed but after surgery he said he saved a little. Im still having issues with scar tissue and will probably need a cleanout surgery, but overall my knee isnt as bad as expected. Im wondering, with a pretty bad knee, is there any way I could make a college squad? Im a senior, and really really would love to keep cheering if my knee can handle it...

Sure you can cheer! It just depends on what level you'd like to be on...
A lot of competitive college squads want bhs backs as a minimum standing tumbling requirement and then a running pass ending with a tuck, as minimum. The more competitive you want to be, the more you'll be expected to do (standing tucks, running fulls)
And to be honest, a lot of teams that don't have tumbling requirements usually aren't that amazing...
It really helps to start with what skills you have, what skills you'd like to have, and how attainable your goal is, then look for schools from there.
As a piece of advice, start looking for schools NOW. Also, don't be afraid to contact the coaches if requirements aren't listed or you have any questions. Coaches like that you're proactive and interested in their squad ;)

Thx so much, I've been trying to look but I'm not positive what skills i will have since im still recovering. I think I should be able to get back most of my level 4 skills but I dont wanna promise a coach something i cant do... I really appreciate the advice though!!

It is DEFINITELY possible! I know exactly how you feel! I tore my pcl, mcl, meniscus, and broke my tibial plateau! I have a metal plate and seven screws in my knee and am now (proudly) a college cheerleader. If it's something you really want to do (like I did) definitely pursue it. Just make sure you aren't moving too fast for your knee. I had to wear one of those big bulky braces for awhile. You really just have to know your limits. I tried to come back to all-star after my surgery and it just didn't work, my knee couldn't handle it. But then I took some more time off to strengthen my knee and prepare for college tryouts and so far things have been going great! If you have any more questions, let me know, because I was in the same exact spot as you were! :)

Going off of what ualegacyxbria said, it might even be better to take a year off from cheer just to rehabilitate and get your skills back. You don't want to make the team, feel pressured to get everything back so fast, and then injure yourself again.

Thanx so much ualegacyxbria and Ems! I really appreciate your responses, im coming back from a re-injury so i definitely dont want to rehurt myself. But at the same time, I've basically been out for two years (considering how short my comeback and how much more i have to go) that if i sit out a year, noone will want me. Im still so set back and scared, but thanx for the tips!

Thanx so much ualegacyxbria and Ems! I really appreciate your responses, im coming back from a re-injury so i definitely dont want to rehurt myself. But at the same time, I've basically been out for two years (considering how short my comeback and how much more i have to go) that if i sit out a year, noone will want me. Im still so set back and scared, but thanx for the tips!
Don't be scared, just be smart! Don't overdo it, know your limits, and you'll be fine.

I blew out my knee senior year (ACL, Meniscus, and LCL) but I'm still cheering in college!
Keep in mind that I had a full, two to a full, and toe back though. But my school is really competative.
Long story short, definitely possible! Just do EVERYTHING your doctor tells you, don't get lazy. Worst mistake I've ever made.

Soooo, Im still recovering from a second acl surgery on my left knee (along with mcl and meniscus). At first, my doctor thought my meniscus was totally destroyed but after surgery he said he saved a little. Im still having issues with scar tissue and will probably need a cleanout surgery, but overall my knee isnt as bad as expected. Im wondering, with a pretty bad knee, is there any way I could make a college squad? Im a senior, and really really would love to keep cheering if my knee can handle it...[/quote

Listen to your body first and do exactly as your Dr. reccomends. While making a competitive college squad with a bad knee may not be the best choice for you..there are many great college teams that dont compete and hence wont put undue strain on your bad knee. Gameday cheer at a big college is quite a thrill, and ussually less demanding on your body and skill set. At the Highly competitive schools, there will be 5-10 kids lined up behind you ready to take your spot if your knee hasnt healed. Theres also the posibility of transferring after your sophomore year onto a more competitive cheer squad. Gives you 2 years to heal and gain those needed skills! Good Luck!

Thanks collegecheermum and moreoverthree Ive continued to have setbacks on my recovery, so it doesnt look like ill be making any squad next year. Instead, ive been talking to my coaches about learning about coaching, then maybe if my knee feels up to it trying to cheer my sophmore year... We'll see, but I know I need to work super hard at therapy no matter what!!!

Thanks collegecheermum and moreoverthree Ive continued to have setbacks on my recovery, so it doesnt look like ill be making any squad next year. Instead, ive been talking to my coaches about learning about coaching, then maybe if my knee feels up to it trying to cheer my sophmore year... We'll see, but I know I need to work super hard at therapy no matter what!!!

Yeah my surgery had complications too:( I had to try out using old comp videos and videos of me playing around in the gym.
You could always tryout in december/january for the nationals squad!

Soooo, Im still recovering from a second acl surgery on my left knee (along with mcl and meniscus). At first, my doctor thought my meniscus was totally destroyed but after surgery he said he saved a little. Im still having issues with scar tissue and will probably need a cleanout surgery, but overall my knee isnt as bad as expected. Im wondering, with a pretty bad knee, is there any way I could make a college squad? Im a senior, and really really would love to keep cheering if my knee can handle it...

I had a very similar injury Feb. 2011. I took a year off and took a lot of time, not only strengthening, but also taking time to decide how important cheerleading was to me. Evaluate its importance and if it is something you want to accomplish, go for it! Don't let the adversity that has happened to you make you give up. I know it is really hard to overcome but I believe you can make a college team if you really want it! College Cheerleading is an amazing experience. Good luck to you!

Back