All-Star Lower Back Pain From Bad Basket Toss...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Your coach let u continue to practice after that? What did your parents do/say when they found out?

Yeah... she wanted to have me show the new people different things... And I am a junior in college, so I haven't really told them yet. Today it feels much better, and I feel that it should be fine in a couple more days. I am considerably lucky with the way everything went down.

However, this just solidifies how unsafe this coach is. It just was so preventable, which makes me mad. I'm glad it was just a straight ride, and not anything inverted.

Sounds like a nerve was affected and I'd recommend seeing a Dr. asap. I have severe back problems from routine surgeries and dancing (even when I shouldn't have been leaping) and I have a nerve that if 'throw out' gets pinched in my hip and I can't even stand straight. I'm not even 30 and will likely see back surgery before I'm 40.

Also, report her!

Would you like to continue to cheer? Go to your sports med doc immediately. Please and thanks.
Little has her appt with the back surgeon next week, so you can come with us if you'd like. Oh, and BTW, she's not very good at resting when she's told to, either. Just saying.

Trust me get it checked! Back injuries untreated and ignored are just so much worse. I had a stupid sports med doctor tell me repeatedly my nerve pain was nothing to worry about and was from wearing jeans too tight as a kid. Ya no...now it's even worse because he said I could continue cheer no problem. I recently have "retired" because I can't even handspring anymore without pain. I also used to be insane flexible and now I have a Doritos scorp lol

Go see someone about your back and report her for sure! You don't want to be 30 doing PT all the time and praying to not need a walker by the time you're 50!

Yeah... she wanted to have me show the new people different things... And I am a junior in college, so I haven't really told them yet. Today it feels much better, and I feel that it should be fine in a couple more days. I am considerably lucky with the way everything went down.

However, this just solidifies how unsafe this coach is. It just was so preventable, which makes me mad. I'm glad it was just a straight ride, and not anything inverted.

Please take the advice that you got here and go.see.a.doctor.
Even if, thank god, nothing is broken or seriously injured and you feel that it´s getting better.

This will be difficult and i apologize upfront if the following doesn´t make sense, i could explain it much better in german, but i´ll try:

I was a backspot back then, and we were practicing on a basketball ground. My flyer fell, and i catched her, but i fell with her to the ground my arms around her directly on my sacral bone and right side acantha (please blame dict.cc if wrong).
Doctor said it was only a bruise and so i iced it and went on.

Today, i´m going to an osteopath on a regular basis. The bones in my lower back and also my hip bones always tend to shift because of the muscular dysbalance that originated over months of not letting this "just a bruise" heal.

It doesn´t mean that i should have rested completely, but stretching and excercises from a PT would have helped in first place.
Your body can tend to get into a false posture when hurt, which leads to problems in other areas.

You might push through the pain now, but life doesn´t end with cheer and you don´t want to suffer from back pain the rest of your life.

Maybe the impact will be greater if a bunch of us report her?
And what would you exactly report? That someone you don't know told you on a message board that a coach is doing things that aren't safe? Don't report coaches if you haven't witnessed with your own eyes (and maybe even caught on camera) things that don't comply with safety standards.
Honestly, if I would get a ton of complains from people that haven't seen things themselves, I would think that someone got cut during tryouts or something like that and now wants that coach gone. Leave it to the op to find others to support her complaints.

Last edited:
And what would you exactly report? That someone you don't know told you on a message board that a coach is doing things that aren't safe? Don't report coaches if you haven't witnessed with your own eyes (and maybe even caught on camera) things that don't comply with safety standards.
Honestly, if I would get a ton of complains from people that haven't seen things themselves, I would think that someone got cut during tryouts or somthing like that and now wants that coach gone. Leave it to the op to find others to support her complaints.
That's why I asked. It sounds dumb in retrospect, but I was curious (I tend to get very emotional over things like this, I hate careless coaches). I agree with you.

Last edited:
I ignored my back pain for a long time (pretty much my entire cheerleading career) and was told by my pediatrician that it was just "growing pains" (I'm 4'11 and haven't grown since like 7th grade) so, we ignored it since the pediatrician said it was nothing, until I did a pass at a basketball game and I had some pretty bad back pain, I went and did another pass the next time out because my coach made me and I couldn't feel my legs and collapsed after I landed. I went to the back doctor and they told me that I had to have MRIs. I have had about 10 MRIs and 4 rounds of steroid injections and 6 rounds of physical therapy and my back still isn't healed, and it probably never will be without spinal fusion surgery my doctor says. I ended up having 2 herniated disks in my l4/l5 and l5/s1 and multiple bulging discs all along my spine and every disc under my l4 is bulging. It could have been prevented if my doctor said to go have it checked out when I first started having pain. GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Your back is no joke! I haven't been cheering since may and it is a night and day difference with my back, some activities still hurt that shouldn't, and I get spasms all the time down my legs til my foot cramp and I can't walk anymore... Cheerleading has destroyed my back!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I ended up seeing a doc today... he said I hit a nerve when I landed, but did not pinch one or do major damage to the muscle or bone. 2-3 more days of constant rest, ice, heat, and advil should completely heal me. I am in the process of reporting my coach as well.
Glad you saw a doc. Keep a watch on your back though. I am guessing he did not do MRI to make diagnosis, perhaps not even X-ray... CP had sore back complaints for a couple of years and it was always "rest, ice, heat". Finally was sent for an MRI which showed spinal fractures and a desiccated (slipped) disc.

I hope that you are following doctor's orders and are feeling better.

I have an ad for a chiropractor on my page from this. ;)

Back