All-Star Making A Comeback After Significant Weight Gain?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know girls who have had children and taken a few years off and gotten back into it. I don't think Level 4 tumbling will keep you off of most Open teams! You should do it! Or at least start workign out with the teams again!

I took 3 years off from competing after highschool, I basically needed to focus on school (pre-med/biology major) and i was tired of getting injured. I gained 20 lbs in the process. I cant say i did all of the work, but i ended up getting mono @ the end of those 3 years off n lost about 15 lbs, and of course thats not good/healthy weight, but once I got physically over the mono, i started to work out and actually maintained that lower weight, just with a healthier physique. I didn't start to work out to get back into cheerleading but I decided to tryout again cuz lets face it, once you cheer you never want to let it go. I still get hurt and my tumbling took a huge hit from injuries and that hiatus, but now im on an open team that I absolutely love =)

After 3 acls, back fractures, 3 broken arms and countless injuries in my 12 year cheer career i am done, today is my 20th birthday. Although I have practiced since then, (and then got hurt again, repeat), my last time on the mat was my sophomore year. I would give anything in the world to have the moment most seniors get to have, the one that they know its their last time. They take the floor and can take it all in, but i never will. I have gained a decent amount of weight, sometimes I get optimistic and say "ill run and ill tumble, im going to cheer" It takes running only a few miles and my knee looks like a watermelon. I also found out that I have hypothyroidism which makes dieting pretty much useless. (I wont take the medicine, it says you could loose your hair, id rather be fat with hair then skinny and bald). I pretty much have given up. I have came out of retirement 3 times, and every time i try to tumble, i retear an acl. I am still an excellent base, Ive always had great motions, and if I stretched a little more my jumps are just as good as they used to be - but noone cares about any of that any more, its all about tumbling so i have basically decided its time to stop trying.

As an expert on hypothyroidism -- TAKE THE SYNTHROID!! It will save your life.

If you would like to know some more info send me a PM and I will be happy to help you out.

I took 3 years off from competing after highschool, I basically needed to focus on school (pre-med/biology major) and i was tired of getting injured. I gained 20 lbs in the process. I cant say i did all of the work, but i ended up getting mono @ the end of those 3 years off n lost about 15 lbs, and of course thats not good/healthy weight, but once I got physically over the mono, i started to work out and actually maintained that lower weight, just with a healthier physique. I didn't start to work out to get back into cheerleading but I decided to tryout again cuz lets face it, once you cheer you never want to let it go. I still get hurt and my tumbling took a huge hit from injuries and that hiatus, but now im on an open team that I absolutely love =)

Yeah, notice I said "significant" weight gain lol.... multiply that by about 4 and that's where I am right now:(

But, happy for you that you're back in the game:) Maybe next year at this time I'll be saying the same thing!

I'm thinking of starting a modified Insanity program. I tried it last spring, but it was just too much for me and I got so exhausted after a few weeks of working out 6 days a week. So I'm going to modify it, pick the workouts that I liked and do it every other day instead of 6 days a week.

Yeah, notice I said "significant" weight gain lol.... multiply that by about 4 and that's where I am right now:(

But, happy for you that you're back in the game:) Maybe next year at this time I'll be saying the same thing!
Oh i thought 20 was a lot for a girl...lol well i hope u get back into it too, i absolutely love u on here! im rootin 4 u!

I am in a similar situation. I cheered for 10 years before going through a pretty traumatic experience (had to leave school and ended up on some heavy medications) and I have been coaching since. I was NEVER a strong tumbler. I could never do any sort of running tumbling but I could do a back tuck with no problems. The last time I tumbled was probably 7th grade and I am almost 19 now. it has been 6 or 7 years and I HIGHLY doubt I will ever tumble again.Wherever I lacked in tumbling, I was able to make up in stunting, motions, and jumps but cheerleading has become so focused on tumbling. I would absolutely LOVE to return to cheerleading..it's probably my biggest dream right now..I just don't think it's going to happen :( if you figure anything out, please let me know! and if anyone knows of an any Open teams in nj/eastern PA that accept non-tumblers, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!

It's basically a diabetic's diet.... VERY restricted on carbs and sugars (plus the medication is reducing the levels of hormones in my system that caused the weight gain in the first place lol).... I wouldn't recommend it, it's horrible haha

i'm a diabetic and i don't have to restrict any carbs or sugar. common myth, that diabetics can't eat sugar and stuff (drives me nuts!) We can eat it, just as long as it is compensated with insulin. And i must say- i'm jealous of your weight loss i have been trying to lose a few lately. it feels impossible, haha!

After 3 acls, back fractures, 3 broken arms and countless injuries in my 12 year cheer career i am done, today is my 20th birthday. Although I have practiced since then, (and then got hurt again, repeat), my last time on the mat was my sophomore year. I would give anything in the world to have the moment most seniors get to have, the one that they know its their last time. They take the floor and can take it all in, but i never will. I have gained a decent amount of weight, sometimes I get optimistic and say "ill run and ill tumble, im going to cheer" It takes running only a few miles and my knee looks like a watermelon. I also found out that I have hypothyroidism which makes dieting pretty much useless. (I wont take the medicine, it says you could loose your hair, id rather be fat with hair then skinny and bald). I pretty much have given up. I have came out of retirement 3 times, and every time i try to tumble, i retear an acl. I am still an excellent base, Ive always had great motions, and if I stretched a little more my jumps are just as good as they used to be - but noone cares about any of that any more, its all about tumbling so i have basically decided its time to stop trying.

I take synthroid, it has never caused my hair to fall out.

My story is similar, but not quite. I don't have some kind of condition...I just got fat lol. I quit cheer my sophomore yr of high school. Long story short, the tiny gym I was at didn't have a tumbling coach! So I was unmotivated and regressing in tumbling, not to mention I was having a lot of issues with my wrists. I have arthritis in one and it's hard for people to take you seriously when you can't see any physical sign of the pain. It would just flare up and I'd say I could not tumble but they would tell me to anyway and I'd end up just doing like a roundoff tuck, when I was supposed to be doing fulls, just to avoid any more pressure on my wrist. I got so burnt out from doing this that I just decided to quit. I regret it a lot, looking back about 4 years. I would give anything to go back and change my mind..switch gyms..therapy..anything. But I can't. And since that time, I've gained probably over 30 pounds. It's embarrassing to admit but it's the truth. And i'm definitely with you on this one...I want to change that and get back the way I used to be (don't get me wrong, I was never skinny to begin with). I've dieted before and been successful, but I always fall back into the same pattern. I have found a way that's successful though and it's basically just eating right and exercising! My problem is staying motivated. But i made a big long post in the thread "Weight Problems" that should help you out! That's what I plan on doing. Good luck

i'm a diabetic and i don't have to restrict any carbs or sugar. common myth, that diabetics can't eat sugar and stuff (drives me nuts!) We can eat it, just as long as it is compensated with insulin. And i must say- i'm jealous of your weight loss i have been trying to lose a few lately. it feels impossible, haha!

Yeah, I'm not really familiar with a diabetic diet, sorry! But aren't there two types of diabetes? idk... that's what my dietician compared it to, because the point of the diet is to help with the fact that the metabolic disorder has made me insulin-resistant. I have just been telling people that it's "basically" as diabetic diet because it's way too complicated to go into all of the details lol

Latest posts

Back