Male Cheerleaders: Why Aren't We Allowed To Make Our Own Choice To Dance, Cheer, Etc.?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2012
This is an "angry essay," I wrote for my college English class because this is an issue I feel is thrown in the dark and doesn't want to be addressed, and we guy cheerleaders aren't asked, if we feel comfortable dancing or cheering because most coaches and industry reps want us to appear more "masculine," but most guys who cheer just aren't, and that is why we choose to cheer, because it's a place where we aren't judged and can swing our hips and make those facials we wish we could do anywhere.

This is my Essay:
"
MALE CHEERLEADING​

What comes to your mind when you think of cheerleading? Is it big hair bows, cute uniforms, peppy girls, pom poms, megaphones, crowd involvement, tumbling? If not, then you’re not an American. Now, back to the thought. With that in mind, what exactly do you think when it comes to male cheerleading? If you’re wondering when did there become a male and female division in cheerleading, then your correct, because there is not one, which brings me to asking, why do you think I specifically asked about “male cheerleading?” If you do not know, then I will tell you.

When a fan in a crowd watches a cheerleading team, they most often see smiles, laughter, enthusiasm, dancing, stunts, and tumbling. There tends to be a cat-fight every now and then, but that's what happens when you have a large group of hormones together two to four times a week. But on the inside, for guys, college cheerleading isn't fun most of the time, because realistically, guys are on the team as an object of service for strength and that only. And what makes me angry, being a male college cheerleader, is the fact that 95% of the time, were standing in the back, clapping our hands, waiting to lift a stunt, and watching the girls dance, do motions, and lead the crowd. Sounds like cheerleading right? You would think that the guy would be dancing, performing motions, and helping lead the crowd too. Well, if you consider the guys projecting their voices, then I assume that would be leading a crowd. Do you know why the guys have limited participation in cheerleading? Well, there's a person in charge, the coach that is, and he or she tells the team what to do. And what the guys are told before they do anything is to get in the back, simply because they won’t be dancing and that they will only do some motions in the cheer because they shouldn't do anything “girly” or “feminine.”
May I ask, what about cheerleading isn't “girly” or “feminine?” The reasoning to that statement is that, most college cheer teams only want guys for strength, so it's okay to have no experience because they will teach you to partner stunt, throw baskets, and the basic cheer motions that are “masculine.” If you’re an open-minded person you have already asked yourself, “what about the guys who do dance, want to cheer, and want to help lead the crowd?” Well, you don't see any guys dancing, or doing every motion in a cheer without clapping so it is safe to say that they have no choice. This is done because most college cheer teams want to attract the guys who resemble a football player. But, along with cheerleading, is the assumption by the immature minds of America that all male cheerleaders are gay, causing most guys to prefer a sport that resembles their character. So to get guys onto a cheer team, and actually stick with it, the guys’ participation in all aspects of cheerleading is downplayed to fit “masculine” standards. And it makes me furious inside. When (or if) a girl plays football, do they change the rules and allow her to only be tagged rather than tackled? No. She is roughed up and treated as, “one of the guys.” And this is where it gets unfair to a guy like me, who is great at every aspect of cheer, being that I have done competitive cheer, high-school cheer, and now college cheer.
Cheerleading has consisted of dancing, organized yelling, motions, stunts, and tumbling for over 120 years, so I think guys should know what they are signing up for and the coaches should expect it from them and work with what they have. Is it not humorous that cheerleading itself, argues heavily to be considered a sport, in equal comparison to football, basketball, etc., yet within it, it is not equal. The coaches are to blame, because they are the ones oppressing the original aspects of cheerleading to acquire more male athletes. But, the only way male cheerleaders who feel the same as I can fix the problem are by speaking up. Most of us assume that it's what it best, and others keep quiet because most coaches find it hysterical or offensive that a guy wants to actually dance and perform “feminine” movements and motions. I find myself asking myself often, “Who is the coach to decide whether or not something is too feminine for a male cheerleader?”
So ask yourself again, why are male college cheerleaders not allowed to dance and perform all the motions to a cheer? It all comes down to insecurity. If masculine males with no rhythm, no dance ability, and are insecure, why would they be a part of a cheerleading team where it is a large aspect to it and they are assumed to be gay? They wouldn’t. Leaving a team of athletes who are cheering because they actually have a passion for the sport and all of its aspects. A real cheerleader performs every aspect and overcomes the expectations ahead. What expectation is overcame if male cheerleaders are downplayed to stop the stereotype or assumptions? None."

I really enjoy your insight, as I am largely unfamiliar with the collegiate world and your perspective really brings to light some interesting observations. It seems very different from my experience as a parent in allstar, but as you mention it , I think I have noticed that before, in collegiate, it seems alot of the male cheerleaders do predominately base. In allstar I can immediately think of several very good coed teams that have males in very featured roles, Teams we have been apart of in the past have also featured males as the lead in the dance and tumbling because they just had the skill to do so. If what you have experienced is true to any campus, I agree entirely, all athletes should have the opportunity to place where ever their skill set warrants. Your correct also in the way to change it is to bring it to view. It is crazy to me, because if the common thought on any team would be to restrict someones placement or participation due to gender, (Aside from being unfair) you essentially are depriving yourself out of alot of really good athletic contribution. Also from what I see is that a male cheerleader certainly does have to contend with alot of nonsense from people in general, anyone who deviates from what the societal "norm" is, seems to have that additional weight to bear, which is grossly unfair to say the least. In my experience, in the gyms I have been apart of, (and I truly hope this to be true of most gyms) a male cheerleader, is just that, a male cheerleader, anything else is and should be in consequential. Just out of curiosity, how was your essay received ?

I looove the concept and think that it is something that kinda gets pushed aside in the cheer world. I remember going to a comp and thinking "Why don't the guys dance?". Definitely repost this! (oh and if you want critque on your essay, I say write it a little more formally. The casual tone may cause someone to not take it as serious)

I looove the concept and think that it is something that kinda gets pushed aside in the cheer world. I remember going to a comp and thinking "Why don't the guys dance?". Definitely repost this! (oh and if you want critque on your essay, I say write it a little more formally. The casual tone may cause someone to not take it as serious)
Thanks and yeah i'm gonna rewrite it haha it was a freelance angry essay we did in class and i was so into the topic that the form of my paper didn't cross my mind haha

I really enjoy your insight, as I am largely unfamiliar with the collegiate world and your perspective really brings to light some interesting observations. It seems very different from my experience as a parent in allstar, but as you mention it , I think I have noticed that before, in collegiate, it seems alot of the male cheerleaders do predominately base. In allstar I can immediately think of several very good coed teams that have males in very featured roles, Teams we have been apart of in the past have also featured males as the lead in the dance and tumbling because they just had the skill to do so. If what you have experienced is true to any campus, I agree entirely, all athletes should have the opportunity to place where ever their skill set warrants. Your correct also in the way to change it is to bring it to view. It is crazy to me, because if the common thought on any team would be to restrict someones placement or participation due to gender, (Aside from being unfair) you essentially are depriving yourself out of alot of really good athletic contribution. Also from what I see is that a male cheerleader certainly does have to contend with alot of nonsense from people in general, anyone who deviates from what the societal "norm" is, seems to have that additional weight to bear, which is grossly unfair to say the least. In my experience, in the gyms I have been apart of, (and I truly hope this to be true of most gyms) a male cheerleader, is just that, a male cheerleader, anything else is and should be in consequential. Just out of curiosity, how was your essay received ?
Thank you!! We need more open minds like yours because some coaches who think they know what is best just dont understand what goes on in the athletes' minds sometimes. And my paper was recieved very well, my teacher, who is a female, took my side and said that its good that I feel this way because not too many people pay attention to the sexist issues that guys face.

Being part of an organized group usually means giving up some of your right to be an individual, other examples being the choice of what to wear at games, whether or not you have to shave, and what time you need to show up. You need to look at the organization/team you are considering joining and decide if the restrictions are worth it.

Being part of an organized group usually means giving up some of your right to be an individual, other examples being the choice of what to wear at games, whether or not you have to shave, and what time you need to show up. You need to look at the organization/team you are considering joining and decide if the restrictions are worth it.
I don't understand what you're saying?

Am I correct in saying a very quick summary of your essay is you have/had to give up the ability to be yourself in order to be part of the team?
Yes! And I don't agree that male cheerleaders should be stopped from dancing at the coaches' discretion because it's selfish on their part to not let a guy dance because the moves are too "feminine." I feel that if i'm comfortable performing something, then it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Yes! And I don't agree that male cheerleaders should be stopped from dancing at the coaches' discretion because it's selfish on their part to not let a guy dance because the moves are too "feminine." I feel that if i'm comfortable performing something, then it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

I'm not addressing whether I agree with it or not. I'm saying giving up something is common if you want to be part of a group. In your case you had to give up your right to dance, etc. on the sideline. My team had to give up facial hair, tattoos, etc. on the sideline. I'm guessing in both cases the cheerleaders knew what they were getting into and still chose to be part of the program.

I'm not addressing whether I agree with it or not. I'm saying giving up something is common if you want to be part of a group. In your case you had to give up your right to dance, etc. on the sideline. My team had to give up facial hair, tattoos, etc. on the sideline. I'm guessing in both cases the cheerleaders knew what they were getting into and still chose to be part of the program.
I can understand giving up tattoos, facial hair, time, etc. Those are all necessary, but dancing is one of the primary aspects to cheer, so in no way, shape, or form is it right to take it away solely on the thought that its too "feminine" for guys. No one can determine if something is too "feminine" or "masculine" for another person except that person doing it because we don't know how comfortable someone is. Also, that cant even be compared to taking away tattoos, facial hair, etc. because cheerleaders are supposed to have a clean look. Forfeiting something your good at for someones opinion and forfeiting negative material items are nowhere near equal.

Back