All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I said this before in another thread and I will say it again. I have a straight brother in the sport and I know how much BS he gets for being a male cheerleader outside the sport (at school, etc..) .. So when he goes to the gym or competitions he goes in knowing he wont get the same BS, but now this!? Now he along with all male cheerleaders have to deal with this crap from people in the industry too. Out of all of the things the USASF wrote up this was the one that made me the most mad. We are supposed to be a sport that sticks together and excepts all types of people, white, black, gay, straight, boy, girl .. It shouldn't matter. This was completely uncalled for and I am so happy to hear someone is taking a stand!!
I totally agree for my son. He gets @$?! All day long from school for being a male cheerleader. I truly think he loves practice and competition because NO ONE is judgmental. In fact guys are more a celebrity there if you ask me because there aren't a lot and they tend to have the skills. My son is straight (he's not a fan of the no half top rule ;) ) but he doesn't have to put up the wall at competition and be on the defensive for haters who don't get what the sport is that he loves. He just gets to relax and enjoy being a great cheerleader.

I'm really disappointed a statement of apology has not been addressed. I was hoping the weekend would have bought some time to put out an apology in regards to the semantics and wording released with their Etiquette 'Guidelines' that came across discriminatory. The fact they originally deleted the said 'discriminatory' part shows that they realized it may have been a mistake.
I wonder if there is a legal reason for this... Could it be that if they publicly apologize it could be said that they are admitting guilt? With the two national organizations involved, maybe they need to be especially cautious to avoid potential lawsuits?

Or they could be just plain stubborn.

I wonder if there is a legal reason for this... Could it be that if they publicly apologize it could be said that they are admitting guilt? With the two national organizations involved, maybe they need to be especially cautious to avoid potential lawsuits?
I agree with this. They so messed up and an apology admits it. They want it to go away. They're probably hoping Worlds will distract us. No, we won't go away.

If they apologize - they admit wrong doing... when have they ever admitted they have done anything wrong? :( I do feel they should release a written statement - if they won't apologize (which I feel they should) defending/explaining their own statements and wording they released.

To me the fact that ZERO has been said about anything regarding this from USASF, speaks VOLUMES about USASF!![/quote

I have to agree...the rules came out last week and save the one letter saying they are reviewing them again, nothing more has been said. These are peoples LIVES we are talking about here. People have KILLED themselves over statements and behaviors like this. I mean come on!

I don't understand how everyone has equated "limit theatrical movements" with an attack on homosexual males. I see nothing in the guidelines that talk about anyone's sexual orientation. There have been several posts on here saying "my son is straight and enjoys being a fierce dancer, ect". I get that people have differing opinions on how a guy should conduct himself on the mat, but I don't feel that stereotyping anyone is going to advance the sport. This would be like saying the NCA rule on appropriate music is racist because most of the "inappropriate"songs are rap songs.

I don't understand how everyone has equated "limit theatrical movements" with an attack on homosexual males. I see nothing in the guidelines that talk about anyone's sexual orientation. There have been several posts on here saying "my son is straight and enjoys being a fierce dancer, ect". I get that people have differing opinions on how a guy should conduct himself on the mat, but I don't feel that stereotyping anyone is going to advance the sport. This would be like saying the NCA rule on appropriate music is racist because most of the "inappropriate"songs are rap songs.

Its not an attack on homosexual males.... just males in general, and undeniably speaking, gay males. If they justify the 'guideline' that MALES and FEMALES sometimes demonstrate performances that distract the judges from the routine, that would be a whole different thing. However, singling out one sex over the other and telling them how to act, or not to act, is discriminatory. I think the NCA example is a stretch.

We went to competition this weekend and the single biggest show stopper was an approximately 12 year old male who redefined theatrical. He was AMAZING in dance and got the entire arena into that dance! That, my friends, is cheerLEADING! Wish I could remember the gym. All I remember is him!
Which competition were you at? Maybe someone else saw it ... and better yet ... maybe someone else video'd it. Would love to see it!

UltimateRudags (I'm only tagging you to be sure you see this)

Did you see Justin's Facebook status from Friday?

"If you saw me at a USASF/IASF regional meeting over the past several months, you know I was very involved in the development of the Image policy and the Image etiquette document.

We understand that some of the language has upset many people, and it was NEVER our intent to offend anyone. One of my favorite attributes of our sport is that it embraces ALL types of athletes. I'm thankful to have had it as an outlet when I was growing up and will continue to help today's youth experience that same opportunity.

For now, the USASF has removed the Image etiquette document from their website. We intend to take a long hard look at it, and make sure the language is right and that it reflects the spirit of our industry."

Which competition were you at? Maybe someone else saw it ... and better yet ... maybe someone else video'd it. Would love to see it!
American superstars in myrtle beach. He was on fire!

"If you saw me at a USASF/IASF regional meeting over the past several months, you know I was very involved in the development of the Image policy and the Image etiquette document.

We understand that some of the language has upset many people, and it was NEVER our intent to offend anyone. One of my favorite attributes of our sport is that it embraces ALL types of athletes. I'm thankful to have had it as an outlet when I was growing up and will continue to help today's youth experience that same opportunity.

For now, the USASF has removed the Image etiquette document from their website. We intend to take a long hard look at it, and make sure the language is right and that it reflects the spirit of our industry."

I will be very interested in seeing the "right" language they use! I still am wondering what exactly is wrong with the image that these males are portraying?

I did. However.... The guidelines were released by the USASF Board of Directors, not Justin (Despite whether he was the creator/writer of it or not). I don't think a FACEBOOK APOLOGY from Justin is the same as the USASF B.O.D. While its appreciated and respected Justin took the time to write that - I feel the USASF needs to apologize to everyone who received the email. I doubt everyone who received the email from the USASF is going to read Justin's Facebook. I will stand by thoughts and keep communicating with GLAAD, ACLU, and other organizations and counsel until a sincere PUBLIC apology comes from the USASF.

Andre - Thank you for tagging me incase I missed it. I actually didnt see it until yesterday.

536676_354133591290299_209746172395709_857168_745524245_n.jpg

I did. However.... The guidelines were released by the USASF Board of Directors, not Justin (Despite whether he was the creator/writer of it or not). I don't think a FACEBOOK APOLOGY from Justin is the same as the USASF B.O.D. While its appreciated and respected Justin took the time to write that - I feel the USASF needs to apologize to everyone who received the email. I doubt everyone who received the email from the USASF is going to read Justin's Facebook. I will stand by thoughts and keep communicating with GLAAD, ACLU, and other organizations and counsel until a sincere PUBLIC apology comes from the USASF.

Andre - Thank you for tagging me incase I missed it. I actually didnt see it until yesterday.

Fair enough.

What led you to contacting the ACLU and GLAAD? I'm not asking to question the decision you made, but to learn how you came to the decision.

Back