All-Star Mental Blocks Effecting Placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know a lot of teams. don't kick them off. They just take them out of their tumbling spots, as they are still needed for stunting. No person not tumbling isn't gonna kill the team.

I don't think the coaches are wrong! Cheering is a total package sport! I would not expect my daughter to make a level 5 team if she could fly level 5 but not tumble!! There is more than just a tumble pass- what about jumps to tuck? standing back handsprings??? Are you going to just let them duck in the back for everything??? If the gym has kids who have all the skills needed those kids should get the spot first. My cp cheers for Fame and I have never seen the coaches send a kid home or kick them off of a team. We have a kid going through a block and was on a level 4 team and remained there all season. I don't think she was placed on a team that required that level of tumbling this season! Is that wrong? She was placed on what her abilities are now not in the past!

If anybody knows about being placed based on a mental block... it's me. I've been on a level 4.2 team (after once throwing triple toe backs) for 3 years thanks to a mental block. Sure it sucks, but I've accepted the fact that I just don't belong on a level 4/5 team based on my flying alone or my potential to tumble.
Being removed from a team mid-season though, that's not fair. I mean, change the kid's spot but don't kick him/her off the team. That's never going to help them get over it and in no way shape or form fair at all.

I don't think the coaches are wrong! Cheering is a total package sport! I would not expect my daughter to make a level 5 team if she could fly level 5 but not tumble!! There is more than just a tumble pass- what about jumps to tuck? standing back handsprings??? Are you going to just let them duck in the back for everything??? If the gym has kids who have all the skills needed those kids should get the spot first. My cp cheers for Fame and I have never seen the coaches send a kid home or kick them off of a team. We have a kid going through a block and was on a level 4 team and remained there all season. I don't think she was placed on a team that required that level of tumbling this season! Is that wrong? She was placed on what her abilities are now not in the past!
I kinda feel like you contradicted yourself here..somehow haha

If only because I feel like in most cases, if all an athlete could offer from the beginning was their tumbling, most gyms wouldn't have put them on that x level team in the first place. They might be lacking in one area, but usually cover the rest (I think Courtney mentioned in her CEA Rumors thread that she might put an athlete up if there was one aspect they weren't completely level on but they excelled in all the others) in order to make that level, or at least that's how it's seemed to worked by people's descriptions on here. If they still could offer everything else (jumps, motions, dance, stunting, showmanship) but just had an issue with tumbling midway through, that (to me, anyway) shouldn't get them completely kicked off the team, since they're still capable of doing everything else. Next year, if they still weren't on, maybe move them down a level if possible. Or if she saw another girl come in who was the whole package and it was vs. the two, I expect she would be aware that she might not be on that team. But those are from the beginning, NOT in the middle of the season. To me, anyway- completely different things.

That is what I meant to say. This child made a level 4 team based on her tumbling and flying abilities. Then mid season she blocked on tumbling. The coaches kept her on that team and then moved her to a lower level tumbling team for this season. I don't feel like you should make a team because you USED to have x skills!

I wouldn't even consider going to a gym that had that in their tryout packet. I feel that by asking the athlete to leave practice or the team that would make them even more upset. The gyms we have been to, if someone on the team has a tumbling block, it has never "spread" through to the other athletes. The block is only destructive to the athlete, not the gym. We have been lucky to be at gyms that didn't make my daughter feel bad about it and in her own time she has worked through it with the help of the coaches of the gym or through her tumbling classes or privates she has worked it out. I have gotten the no more mental blocks download and it has helped my daughter but I think time, patience, caring and positive feedback work best.

That is what I meant to say. This child made a level 4 team based on her tumbling and flying abilities. Then mid season she blocked on tumbling. The coaches kept her on that team and then moved her to a lower level tumbling team for this season. I don't feel like you should make a team because you USED to have x skills!
Well, that makes sense to me, particularly since it was at the end of the season and she/he wasn't throwing level skills, particularly if she/he wasn't as strong in the other aspects of level 4.

Honestly, seeing that in the packet wouldn't bother me one bit!
My daughter made a level 2 team this year, if my daughter all the sudden couldn't do her BHS. I don't want her to be bumped to the back to not be seen, or lose out her passes. I want you to remove her because I don't want my daughter to be that girl or it to look bad if everyone else got their BHS but her. Then all people would say is wow she is only on that team to fly. I hate that too. I want my daughter to be a well rounded level 2 athlete, or she can suck it up and go do a level 1 team.

I would like to know how do you get a mental block? Like do you just go in 1 day and say I can't tumble!

I figure if my daughter works it everyday she shouldn't lose it. Now if she doesn't at least throw 1 for like 3 weeks I can understand her being scared... But is 1 day all it takes for some people!?

I would like to know how do you get a mental block? Like do you just go in 1 day and say I can't tumble!

I figure if my daughter works it everyday she shouldn't lose it. Now if she doesn't at least throw 1 for like 3 weeks I can understand her being scared... But is 1 day all it takes for some people!?

Sometimes, one day is all it takes. There have even been times where I have gone in the gym and thrown a pass and ten minutes later I couldn't make myself do it anymore, even though nothing had changed and I didn't fall...Now i'm sure that is definitely one of the more extreme cases or exceptions, but it does happen.

Absolutely it can just be a day. We had a gymnast on team at the gym I used to teach at who was throwing tucks, working layouts, bwo on beam, etc... Then all of a sudden, would NOT go backwards. No tucks, no bhs, no bwo! They had to go back to the beginning, having her reach backward over a barrel mat, spotting back walkovers, etc. It took a long time to build her back up. Mental blocks are awful.

For me, it was gradual. I had solid level 2 tumbling, and standing level 3. First, I lost my standing series bhs after having to do it when fatigued and bailed out. I wasn't seriously injured, just a little shaken. Then, I lost my running series. Then, I lost my roundoff backhandspring(which I will still do with a spot.. sometimes). Now I'm down to a standing handspring. This was over the course of about 2 months.

@dohnutt @glittergirl @createmagic

Wow I never realized that. I certainly wish anyone who has had one the best of luck. I really thought working a skill everyday considering no bad injury would keep someone mental block free. I'm so wrong I see. I certainly hope my daughter never experiences that she is her worst critic. It would be so hard on her.

Thanks for y'all's input as now I understand it a little bit better.
I still feel I would want my daughter moved down though if she had one to be fair to everyone!

@dohnutt @glittergirl @createmagic

Wow I never realized that. I certainly wish anyone who has had one the best of luck. I really thought working a skill everyday considering no bad injury would keep someone mental block free. I'm so wrong I see. I certainly hope my daughter never experiences that she is her worst critic. It would be so hard on her.

Thanks for y'all's input as now I understand it a little bit better.
I still feel I would want my daughter moved down though if she had one to be fair to everyone!
Thank you so much! I have a feeling I'm going to get my roundoff backhandspring back soon, since I don't think this is that horrible of a mental block. It's still so frustrating though. Good luck to anyone else suffering from one!

Honestly, seeing that in the packet wouldn't bother me one bit!
My daughter made a level 2 team this year, if my daughter all the sudden couldn't do her BHS. I don't want her to be bumped to the back to not be seen, or lose out her passes. I want you to remove her because I don't want my daughter to be that girl or it to look bad if everyone else got their BHS but her. Then all people would say is wow she is only on that team to fly. I hate that too. I want my daughter to be a well rounded level 2 athlete, or she can suck it up and go do a level 1 team.

to tell you the truht, I did go in one day just being afraid of a whip to handspring. Nothing actually happened to me, I was just scared. My coach and I have been working for a year to get it back.

Thank you so much! I have a feeling I'm going to get my roundoff backhandspring back soon, since I don't think this is that horrible of a mental block. It's still so frustrating though. Good luck to anyone else suffering from one!
Good luck! a year and a half later and i'm finally starting to work doubles again :) although it was the most frustrating thing ever, once I realized having an off day wasn't the end of the world, it became a lot easier. And that feeling of finally throwing it again after working so hard is amazing!

Back