All-Star Mental Blocks Effecting Placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

IMO

May 23, 2010
I was meandering through different gyms tryout packets, as I was just curious. And I was reading one gyms packet and it said, "No mental blocks…they are destructive and contagious…if your child has a mental block, your child may be asked to leave practice and up to possibly being removed from the team"

I feel being removed from a team because of a mental block is absolutely horrible. The last thing someone with a mental needs is negative feedback like that. The thing is everyone will eventually get a mind block of some sort, and the BEST way for the athlete to get over one is by coaches understanding and helping them. Not by removing them, as they cannot get over it if they are not able to work on/through it if they are asked to leave.

any thoughts?

A child tries out and makes a team based on the skills they possess. Whether performing a skill is mental, physical, or a combo of both, if a barrier is there, the team is losing out on someone who can perform the necessary skills. I, too, think it's awful to have to leave a team due to mental blocks (even though I don't like that word,) but that's the way it has to be sometimes. I'm sure the gym would not kick the child out of the gym entirely. I'm sure privates and/or classes would be recommended. And I'm sure a spot could be found on a lower-level team. I disagree that, at some point, everyone will get a block.

Thank your gym for putting it in writing, pre-season.

I think that packet would be a good sign that my cp wasn't meant to cheer at that gym.
I can see a mental block stopping someone from making a particular team, but assuming that placement was made based on skill I don't see how a mental block could cause someone to be dropped. If they were placed based on potential skill, well, IMO that's on the gym and shame on them for dropping the kid because they didn't progress as expected. Change their role in the routine, sure. Drop them, no.

They are definitely contagious. I've seen an entire team go through it. They were young. The first kid got mental, and got a ton of attention at practice. Little by little everyone needed that attention. I don't know about removing them from the gym, but I know of gyms that will remove you from their team if you are unable to perform the required skills.

If they were placed based on potential skill, well, IMO that's on the gym and shame on them for dropping the kid because they didn't progress as expected. Change their role in the routine, sure. Drop them, no.

I'm not sure what gym would place an athlete based on "potential." Maybe there are some. My cp has the potential to throw a one to double...once she can get 1 1/2 more twists from what she has now...

I don't know. I think atleast this gym is putting it out there so its clear. Mental blocks happen (though I don't understand them at all) but I've some seen higher level athletes lose everything, to the point they wouldn't have the skills to make a level 2 team. And yes, it can be contagious and frustrating (to the point of resentment) to the other team members.

I'm not sure what gym would place an athlete based on "potential." Maybe there are some. My cp has the potential to throw a one to double...once she can get 1 1/2 more twists from what she has now...

I've seen it happen on lower level teams where a girl is "close" to throwing a bhs or tuck but just can't get it as the season progresses. I'm sure none of the "supergyms" would do it because they have so many people to pull from, but smaller gyms do it.

I disagree that, at some point, everyone will get a block.

I'm not saying that everyone will get a major long term mental block. But everyone will have a moment that they'll get scared and not want to throw it. Even if it's for a split second. There are many different levels of mental blocks.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think that mental blocks can be 'contagious' and this would definitely hurt the team as a whole; but being asked to leave the team, I'm not really sure if that's the answer, at least right away once the block has been noticed. I think that the block, once recognized, should be acknowledged by the coach but not in front of the team, but by the coach with the athlete and parents. There should be a contract between all of them as to what is expected from the athlete and and what actions will occur for the athlete to attempt to actively get over this mental block during an expected time frame with the consequences spelled out i.e. he/she will be taken out of tumbling passes, and eventually moved to a lower level team. The actions-privates, open gym, etc. should be taken seriously and I feel that the athlete should not be placed on a lower level team unless the contract was not followed, and therefore, the contract was broken by the athlete. This way, every opportunity was explained to the parents and the athlete about the plan and the consequences. It may sound harsh, but it is all spelled out!

I'm not saying that everyone will get a major long term mental block. But everyone will have a moment that they'll get scared and not want to throw it. Even if it's for a split second. There are many different levels of mental blocks.

I understand. I don't imagine a gym would ask someone to leave or level them down, either, if it was a split second. Or even if they just had a "day," maybe even longer. I still think it's smart, though, that the gym would put it in the handbook. That way no one is surprised if it has to happen.

I don't know what to think about this. I understand that mental blocks are contagious and destructive but I really don't think they should be kicked off the team. From experience, mental blocks don't go away by having someone yell at you. It makes the child more frustrated and upset when they get yelled at. There are many different types of mental blocks, and they last for different amounts of time. The best way to help someone with a mental block as a coach is to just help them threw it. Spot them if they want, talk to them, try to figure out what's going on. Also sometimes if they stop doing what they are afraid of and start to work on other things, and then go back after a month or two, sometimes they aren't afraid as much. It all depends on the case. But all in all I do not think that taking a child off a team becasue of a block is right.

I can understand why they do it but not sure if I agree.
It is not best for the athlete because they feel like they just aren't needed without tumbling.
But for the entire team, I'm not so sure. I've seen an entire group of friends get blocks at the same time. It got to the point where they had to take completely separate tumbling classes.

On another note, I think that 4.2 teams are the PERFECT spot for girls with long term blocks!

If you tryout with a mental block, you should be placed based on what skills you threw at tryouts. i had a mental block for 3 years and thats just how it is. Its the worst feeling ever trust me but you can always move up! If you had skills and threw them at tryouts, the coaches know what you are capable of. But, the reason why you made the team your on is because of your skills that you threw. Since I've faced a really bad mental block i know how it feels but imagine if you were the best person on your team and the reason why you arent winning is because of someone not doing their skills? The cheerleader shouldnt be removed right away because that puts even more pressure on the cheerleader and makes them even more sad but there should definitely be given like a time frame as to when you need to suck it up and not put the team down. Not giving some kind of pressure or time frame just makes the cheerleader comfortable and lazy. Privates work wonders haha and if anyone has a bad mental go on www.nomorementalblocks.com ! the guy who runs that website knows SO much about mental blocks and helped me so much

I get what alot of you are saying....I guess my question is, would other sports let this happen. If a baseball player will throw the ball, but then gets a mental block about catching one and wont do it? Would they keep them on? How about if a football player just couldn't muster up the confidence to tackle someone anymore? A swimmer who suddenly gets totally freaked out about doing backstroke who is competing in the IM? Basketball player gets an irrational fear of tall people? (Ok, the last ones a stretch but you get the point!)

Also, how long would these mental blocks be allowed before movement off the team? I've seen them last a few weeks to years, so when is enough enough and action should be taken for the best of the team?

I think this was maybe meant more as an attitude warning. Like people who are just refusing to work or blaming their sudden laziness on mental blocks are not acceptable. I think usually mental blacks usually have an underlying issue and good coaches take the time to figure out what it is. At my gym, if you won't throw your tumbling pass you get to be a happy ball in the back, which is punishment enough

Back