High School Motions Not Tight

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2013
Please give me some ideas on how to get my team to be more exact with their motions. I correct and correct all practice long and some just continue on with their lazy arms. Im tired of reviewing the same material for all 20 team members when it is only 5 or 6 that is making them look bad?? Ill take drills, punishments, anything...

Thanks

Tell them to bring two bottles of water to their next practice. Do all cheers while holding their full bottles of water. When the motions are sharp while holding the water, they'll be even sharper when they're not holding them.

It's the same tactics I use for anything else I'm trying to correct. If their muscles aren't strong enough to complete the task (locking out legs in stunts, flyers not having straight arms to hold their weight in load ins, bases not dipping and using their legs for stunting) then they do exercises designed to develop those muscles until they are able to use proper technique.

*eta: buy a case of water if you think some kids will forget their water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell them to bring two bottles of water to their next practice. Do all cheers while holding their full bottles of water. When the motions are sharp while holding the water, they'll be even sharper when they're not holding them.

It's the same tactics I use for anything else I'm trying to correct. If their muscles aren't strong enough to complete the task (locking out legs in stunts, flyers not having straight arms to hold their weight in load ins, bases not dipping and using their legs for stunting) then they do exercises designed to develop those muscles until they are able to use proper technique.

Great ideas. Strength is key.

Might ankle weights on the wrists also be a good idea?

Might ankle weights on the wrists also be a good idea?
I required all the teams I coach to have wrist and ankle weights! They stunt and jump in them and condition in them too. Pretty much if they aren't tumbling they're wearing the weights. Focus on proper technique with them on and when they come off everything looks beautiful. And it's easy for them!

I required all the teams I coach to have wrist and ankle weights! They stunt and jump in them and condition in them too. Pretty much if they aren't tumbling they're wearing the weights. Focus on proper technique with them on and when they come off everything looks beautiful. And it's easy for them!

Isn't it dangerous to do jumps with ankle weights on? Not criticizing you, just wondering.

I'm sorry they don't jump in them we do jump conditioning and stuff in them. Although sometimes I do forget to tell them to take them off. lol.
I'm sure, though, like anything else. If not done correctly it could be. But I've never had any problems. Actually more often than not I forget to tell them to take them off when we jump until I get tired of seeing feet not leave the floor. Lol
But yes I'm sure it could be, but that's why I focus on all the technical aspects of the jump rather than just jumping. So I don't, or rather haven't, had any injuries from it. Just ruptured weights.
Like, I don't care how high your legs get. Do your best and focus on the proper technique and all that will come with time. Especially with what we do.
I've actually seen a lot of improvement even justin the beginning of this month.

@HighSchoolCheerCoach I would recommend going through your dance, cheer, whatever is looking sloppy, motion by motion with counts.

Example:
5-6-7-8-HIT (Say that's the starting high v)
5-6-7-8 Hit (Clasp)
5-6-7-8 Hit (Right punch)
etc
etc

Really emphasize the squeeze and hit nature of the sharp motion. Then follow it up by a full run of the motions at reg speed

@HighSchoolCheerCoach I would recommend going through your dance, cheer, whatever is looking sloppy, motion by motion with counts.

Example:
5-6-7-8-HIT (Say that's the starting high v)
5-6-7-8 Hit (Clasp)
5-6-7-8 Hit (Right punch)
etc
etc

Really emphasize the squeeze and hit nature of the sharp motion. Then follow it up by a full run of the motions at reg speed
Also, remind the girls that they can't be sloppy just because the material I'd slowed down. Tell them to not be afraid of staying that sharp when they finally speed back up. Remind them that the only thing that should change is their speed.

How can you safely stunt in wrist weights? I would think that would be dangerous? I can see marking through stunts, but with a top girl actually in the air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell them that no matter what, the motion should be hit on that count. Say high v on 5, no matter how slow you count, it shouldn't be on 4,2 or 4,5 or even 4,9. It should be hit on 5. So they don't start the transition early but just the split second of 5.

Back