All-Star New Basket Rules For College Cheer Are Making A Lot Of People Angry...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have spent a while thinking about this rule change and my response to it.
I am now a retired college cheerleader, and standing at 5’10” I’ve always been a back. I think the new basket rules are inherently sexist.
I do realize men are generally stronger than women, that’s just biology at play. So yeah, a higher basket gives more time for skills to be executed. But there are still all-girl teams who can do beautiful flipping and twisting baskets. This rule punishes teams and programs who have worked hard to get elite skills.
Are there teams who have absolutely no business throwing these now-banned baskets? Absolutely, but they’re not just limited to all-girl. But this boils down to having poor coaches. We’ve seen it across all different levels and types of cheer, coaches who have no idea how to coach and letting/pushing athletes to throw skills they’re not ready for. However, I don’t think flat-out banning skills is the proper step to remedy that. (But this is another can of worms that I’m sure most of us can go on and on about.)
I don’t really like the reasoning of trying to align competition baskets with game day baskets. And in my opinion it doesn’t really justify the male/female separation anyways. I would understand more if they were trying to phase baskets out completely or for safety reasons - but then make it even for all genders.
I feel the need to point out, female firefighters exist. And they do the same thing the male firefighters do, including passing the same physical tests, carrying the same hose lines, and lugging around the same equipment. Sure, the women have to work harder, and there are obviously fewer female firefighters than male firefighters, but they still can do it.

I also wonder the implications this will have on STUNT and international competitions. But I think I’ll save that for a different post and after more thought.

I’m going to be honest here. I’m tired of the “this rule punished the programs who worked hard to get those skills”. Those are the 1%. Maybe the 5%. The majority of college programs have no business throwing those baskets. And yes, apparently we need to legislate them since they will not do it themselves.

Just last week some baskets came across my Facebook feed because some of my graduated seniors have moved to a college team. They are new to coed (second year) but they have been completing all girl UCA for years. The simple back tuck tosses were barely high enough to get around.

I know of plenty of injuries I have seen (including one to my own kid) came from college level baskets. Concussion. Broken Jaw. Broken nose. And this is from one of those top 1% of programs. At college nationals I saw some baskets and cringed and then covered my eyes-praying for a good outcome. I do think it’s wrong to exclude all girl stunt groups. Take the rule across the board or not at all. Most of these college girls have been catching other girls their whole cheer lives. Most (not all) boys in college have been cheering far less. (Some, not at all, they get put on a team for tumbling and strength). Ask most college cheerleaders today about the one part of the routine they like the least-prob the answer you will get the most are baskets.

I know of plenty of injuries I have seen (including one to my own kid) came from college level baskets. Concussion. Broken Jaw. Broken nose. And this is from one of those top 1% of programs. At college nationals I saw some baskets and cringed and then covered my eyes-praying for a good outcome. I do think it’s wrong to exclude all girl stunt groups. Take the rule across the board or not at all. Most of these college girls have been catching other girls their whole cheer lives. Most (not all) boys in college have been cheering far less. (Some, not at all, they get put on a team for tumbling and strength). Ask most college cheerleaders today about the one part of the routine they like the least-prob the answer you will get the most are baskets.
Right now my daughter is not unhappy about the new rules. She said that she was quite nervous to back some of those twisting baskets in the fall.

I’m going to be honest here. I’m tired of the “this rule punished the programs who worked hard to get those skills”. Those are the 1%. Maybe the 5%. The majority of college programs have no business throwing those baskets. And yes, apparently we need to legislate them since they will not do it themselves.

Just last week some baskets came across my Facebook feed because some of my graduated seniors have moved to a college team. They are new to coed (second year) but they have been completing all girl UCA for years. The simple back tuck tosses were barely high enough to get around.

Then they should compete intermediate. There’s a division at nationals specifically for teams who shouldn’t be throwing spinning flipping Baskets.

Then they should compete intermediate. There’s a division at nationals specifically for teams who shouldn’t be throwing spinning flipping Baskets.

You just completely missed my point.

Legislation is needed when teams/coaches don’t know and/or follow their own limits.

Tbh i have seen a LOT of super scary kick double tosses at all kinds of competitions
Baskettosses are always risky , even a toetouch can end badly when not executed properly and with the right technique
The focus should be on teaching Coaches and Athletes the right technique instead of taking skill away (and this in a pretty sexist way too , i definitely agree)
If we take everything away from Cheer that could potentially be dangerous there will not be a lot left in the end

An interesting point.

Do we water the skills down? Or do we water the competition down?

Looks like they're reviewing the rules, if you go to their site you'll get a message which says "The 2018-2019 College Safety Rules are under review to add more specifics to clarify the intentions of the rules. They will be posted again shortly."

You just completely missed my point.

Legislation is needed when teams/coaches don’t know and/or follow their own limits.

Maybe they should ding the crap out these routines with huge technique and legality deductions and use those scores to decide what division they should compete in. Just "Hey, your squad is not executing those stunts safely, we can't stop you from competing but you will only be allowed to compete in the Intermediate or XYZ division" and then the squad will have to either correct the issues to compete where they want or just kill it in a division or category they can safely execute them in. Some times people need a visual aid and/or limited options to get the point that maybe something has to change.

Maybe they should ding the crap out these routines with huge technique and legality deductions and use those scores to decide what division they should compete in. Just "Hey, your squad is not executing those stunts safely, we can't stop you from competing but you will only be allowed to compete in the Intermediate or XYZ division" and then the squad will have to either correct the issues to compete where they want or just kill it in a division or category they can safely execute them in. Some times people need a visual aid and/or limited options to get the point that maybe something has to change.
but think of how many skills are thrown not in competitions.... that's a whole lotta unsafe to wait to correct at a yearly comp that not everyone attends

Some times people need a visual aid and/or limited options to get the point that maybe something has to change.

like when they took away flipping and twisting skills on certain surfaces a few years ago? or when they limited the number of tricks allowed in baskets? this isn't a surprise change in rules for many people. baskets have been on the way out, writing has been on the wall

but think of how many skills are thrown not in competitions.... that's a whole lotta unsafe to wait to correct at a yearly comp that not everyone attends

like when they took away flipping and twisting skills on certain surfaces a few years ago? or when they limited the number of tricks allowed in baskets? this isn't a surprise change in rules for many people. baskets have been on the way out, writing has been on the wall

On the way out? In 2017 they started allowing more difficult baskets for the first time in decades (Ball X doubles and Split doubles became allowed) didn’t they?

Are there teams who have absolutely no business throwing these now-banned baskets? Absolutely, but they’re not just limited to all-girl. But this boils down to having poor coaches. We’ve seen it across all different levels and types of cheer, coaches who have no idea how to coach and letting/pushing athletes to throw skills they’re not ready for. However, I don’t think flat-out banning skills is the proper step to remedy that.

Either they make coaches lives hell with training and service and testing (with the general knowledge of cheer coaches not being paid well and the turnover rates being massively high, this won't happen) or they simplify the rules . With the programs that have been added, safety isn't increasing and neither is coach knowledge (universities and schools need to pick up this slack more!), so its gotta be a physicality thing in terms of rules.

This is on coaches to fix from happening again.

On the way out? In 2017 they started allowing more difficult baskets for the first time in decades (Ball X doubles and Split doubles became allowed) didn’t they?
but gameday stuff has been being picked off left and right for years whether by skill or by surface.
and this rule change seems to align games with comp a little bit more.

Back