All-Star New Special Needs Team Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The cap is likely for long term safety of the athelete. Many special needs atheletes have genetic disorders like Down's Syndrome. Many CAN do skills like tucks, but shouldn't because their bone structure is different from that of your typical child. We do not have a special needs team, but CP goes to a dance studio whith several girls with Downs. Although some are capable of doing pointe classes from a skill standpoint, they do not becuase it will absolutely wreck thier ankles.

Since I retired in April, I wasn't involved in the final discussions about the rules. But I've been involved long enough to say that part of it was safety, but that's not all. A big part is that the special needs division has grown so much in 10 years, that we HAD to get some uniformity in scoring. A primary reason it didn't happen earlier is the lack of a universal scoresheet. If one existed, we likely would have implemented this several years ago.

Just because there are some athletes that can't (or shouldn't) do certain skills, it doesn't mean that applies across the board. However, level 3 probably encompasses the far larger part of the bell curve of skills for this division. I don't agree with the basket toss restriction, but I'm not in charge any more and I can at least understand the argument for it.

Not sure I like the level 3 restrictions for special needs. I understand the problem from a scoring position, but it concerns me that it leaves some of these athletes with no where to really perform the skills they have worked so hard for. I think the problem is that the levels are based on skills progression so that in club divisions there is a place for everyone based on their ability. Since special needs has no multi-level system (and can't really support one numbers wise), I don't like the idea of restricting them based on that system. I am curious how gymnastics handles this similar situation. Anybody know?

There needs to be a rule that says event producers that offer a special needs division must make sure the athletes are able to get on the floor. We went to events with a girl in a motorized wheerchair and the stages didn't have ramps

While I understand the concern, the result of such a rule would probably be that many event producers would not be willing/able to get this set up due to the potential expense. (And would then be hesitant to offer the division in the first place.) While every event producer we have encountered has seemed willing to do pretty much anything they needed to, including waiving the registration fee, I think that this is an unneeded rule.

We have an athlete with a motorized wheelchair and either bring our own little ramp (which works fine, but probably isn't up to the intricacies of ADA code) or simply have 3-4 guys lift them the 6" up onto the spring floor. It has never been an issue.

This is a very challenging situation and be very careful what you wish for. Every event producer that I have ever worked with would bend over backward a million times to provide for the special needs teams.

This issue actually did come up about 18 months ago, and some venues were telling the EP's that they had to provide the ramps in order to comply with ADA. The problem is that the ramps have to have a certain slope, length, etc. and would not fit in the venues. So some EP's were forced to not offer the special needs division.

Nobody wants that, so please try to look at the entire picture.

I know I have seen events with more raised stages actually have little elevators off to the side of the stage that could fit the wheelchair and maybe one other person?

Now do these rules apply if you're exhibitioning as well as competing?

yes rules are the same either way. competiting or exhibition. :)
I think the point of their question is that "exhibition" implies that the performance is more of a practice / show off etc and therefore would not fall under the "competition" rules and level play. So if it is an exhibition then would/could the level 3 rules apply?

I think the point of their question is that "exhibition" implies that the performance is more of a practice / show off etc and therefore would not fall under the "competition" rules and level play. So if it is an exhibition then would/could the level 3 rules apply?

Yes, the rules are the rules. Exhibition just means you aren't competing.

So our athlete that performs a standing tuck ( and very nicely, I may add) can no longer do that?
If they compete in the special needs division, no. If they competed on a level 4, 5, or 6 team, they could.

I've heard from some special needs coaches that aren't terribly happy about this and I do understand. But with the growth in this division, we do need some consolidation and consistency.

I'm just sorry that I didn't get it done a few years ago and I regret that.

But while this may (under some views) be considered a step back, I think it's a small and temporary step that ultimately will help the division.

As a special needs coach, it is exciting to see that there are finally some rules being placed on the division. I wish some rules were a bit different, but they are rules nonetheless, and it's exciting to see that the special needs division is now being recognized as a real division! :) I can't wait for the upcoming season!

Latest posts

Back