High School News Articles On My High School Teams...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 16, 2012
Hi Everyone!

I am the Head Coach at Foothill High School in Santa Ana, CA. We have four teams (JV Game, JV Comp: Small Novice, Varsity Game, and Varsity Comp: Super Varsity Intermediate). The program was not competing before I started coaching at the school almost 5 years ago. The first year I had the teams compete, I had to combine all teams (total of 21 girls) to create one competitive team. This season, I had nearly 100 kids tryout and decided to split the program between game teams and competitive teams for the first time at this school. So far, we have had great success in doing this, however we still struggle to gain the respect and support on campus that the program deserves. I know our story is not unique as there are many, many school teams that face this daily battle.

A reporter from The Orange County Register contacted me in early January and began a month long process of interviews with my coaching assistant, my cheerleaders, the school administration, coaches/allstar cheerleaders from the gym I have the teams practice at, and me. The following two articles that were published last Thursday are the result of those interviews. I'm pleased with the outcome of the stories and I hope it opens the eyes of at least some people not involved with cheer to have a better understanding that our extremely, physically demanding "activity" :)banghead:) does not just consist of girls jumping around in skirts waving pom-poms....

Article #1: Foothill cheerleaders going for national championship | cheer, competitive, school - News - The Orange County Register

Article #2: Five questions with Coach Nicole Lecarner | cheer, competitive, sideline - The Orange County Register

Back