All-Star Performance Error Vs. Illegality

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
I think this happens to a lot of teams. The routine is going along fine and all of a sudden something goes way wrong. A bracer isn't there in time, a confused crossover throws a BHS on a level 1 etc... I'm not talking about the whole team doing an illegal pyramid or tumble pass, I'm talking about things that are clearly accidents. At least in my experience, they are often counted as illegal. I'm not even sure if the score sheet or EP has a protocol to account for such things.

So my question is...
A. Has this ever happened to you?
B. If you contested it, was it reviewed or repealed.
C. Should there be a category for accidental illegalities or "performance errors"

This has happened to me on a middle school leveled team last season before I joined Allstars.
Our coach actually had us compete the entire pyramid, knowing it was illegal. (I don't remember what had made it illegal) we either faced a set score or one other team, but they let us win the division without disqualifying us. I'm sure rules for Allstars are different. But we haven't had this problem, just thought I'd share

When I competed on level three, I did a roundoff handspring tuck. When I was finishing my tuck, I opened up too soon and they called it a layout. We got deducted for it. The judges told my coach they replayed it, and determined it was a layout, even though I had stayed tucked for 80% of the time.

Typically, if the only reason a stunt/pyramid was illegal was because of a mistake, then they will not deduct the legality penalty for it. (You will often get a "regular" deduction for the mistake, however.) Usually, if you mistakenly do an individual skill that is illegal, you WILL get the legality.

Basically, this is so that if part of a pyramid falls, which leaves only 1 bracer when 2 were required, you won't get hit twice for the same thing. (points off for the fall, points off for the resulting legality issue.)

We had a questionable hand grip in our point stunt and got called on legality our first competition. Our coach was smart though he brought in a fill in in case we needed her and then in warmups showed the safety guy what the bases were doing, he said it was okay without an extra person and our coach had him text him the confirmation that it was good. Here is a pic of the hand grip:
grip.png

It has since been changed to a complete one man stunt to avoid any confusion in the future.

My freshman year at state we were at awards and we had a bad performance, I think it was just a drop in the pyramid. But they didn't call us last and then they got to second and the didn't call us so we started cheering loudly thinking we got 1st buttttt they called first and it wasn't us. So embarrassing, apparently we were disqualified for an illegal stunt :(

Something along those lines happened to my team this past weekend. We are a small coed 2 team and competed a toss to hands stunt. We've never been picked up for this before and we have a massive 10 point deduction for it being illegal. The problem was we had previously emailed the competitions co-ordinator asking if that stunt was legal and she replied confirming it was, when it wasn't. Lucky enough we still placed 3rd, but we would of won Grand Champions which was sad. However, the co-ordinator found out and asked us to send proff via email. We do so, and she gave us a massive apology and free entry and spectator tickets per person to this years nationals. :)

I was just wondering about this the other day... I coach at a rec program so I'm not 100% familiar with allstar rules/legalities, but if a flyer falls and comes down headfirst on, say, level 1, is there a deducation for being inverted?

ChelleShocked said:
I was just wondering about this the other day... I coach at a rec program so I'm not 100% familiar with allstar rules/legalities, but if a flyer falls and comes down headfirst on, say, level 1, is there a deducation for being inverted?

Incidental legalities aren't usually given if there's already a deduction for a fall.

Back