All-Star Poll On Image Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree that we shouldn't speculate on the intentions of the USASF in making this survey. We've never seen one before so we should be happy they are taking this step and be hopefuly in the results.

Invite people you know to take this survey so that we have the best sample possible.

Agreed. We don't know what they want to do with this data. Let's hope that their effort ends up being worthwhile and that they are careful in how they use it. Maybe they are doing this in parallel to this survey, but to me, not including respondents from the non-all-star world is an arm of the study that is glaringly absent - especially if they are trying to understand the 'public' opinion.

I agree that we shouldn't speculate on the intentions of the USASF in making this survey. We've never seen one before so we should be happy they are taking this step and be hopefuly in the results.

Invite people you know to take this survey so that we have the best sample possible.

I agree with that. This survey's going to work best if it has a wide range of voices, and it's open to all to take.

I'm afraid my answers ... because they were the best ones available to me for the questions asked ... will be used to turn cheer into the type of sport that University of Oregon is promoting with volleyball type apparel and numbers on the athletes backs. Cheerleading is a visual, aesthetically appealing sport and I believe that aspect is lost with "numbered athletes."

I don't see a need to do away with crop tops; has anyone seen the "uniforms" for beach volleyball which is an Olympic sport??? The makeup --- I have found it interesting that when teams are on stage under the lights I don't even see their makeup. The faces of the athletes on teams with exaggerated makeup look no different than the faces of the athletes on teams that wear simple makeup when on stage. It is when you see the athletes up close that you see the makeup and I personally think viewing the exaggerated makeup close up detracts from the idea that the cheerleader is an athlete vs. an entertainer. But hey, synchro swimming has exaggerated makeup and they are an Olympic sport too.

I'm afraid my answers ... because they were the best ones available to me for the questions asked ... will be used to turn cheer into the type of sport that University of Oregon is promoting with volleyball type apparel and numbers on the athletes backs. Cheerleading is a visual, aesthetically appealing sport and I believe that aspect is lost with "numbered athletes."

I don't see a need to do away with crop tops; has anyone seen the "uniforms" for beach volleyball which is an Olympic sport??? The makeup --- I have found it interesting that when teams are on stage under the lights I don't even see their makeup. The faces of the athletes on teams with exaggerated makeup look no different than the faces of the athletes on teams that wear simple makeup when on stage. It is when you see the athletes up close that you see the makeup and I personally think viewing the exaggerated makeup close up detracts from the idea that the cheerleader is an athlete vs. an entertainer. But hey, synchro swimming has exaggerated makeup and they are an Olympic sport too.
I agree. I wear fake eye lashes when I cheer not because I think the judges will think it looks nice because lets be honest they can't see that, nor can anyone else, but because it makes me feel fierce and confident. I don't think make-up is for the judges as much as for the athletes themselves. I would be devastated if they took away big bows however.

I actually thought it was a good start. The survey is a good barometer for determining whether the Allstar community thinks the flash and show is integral to our sport. If the overwhelming majority feels it is not neccesary then take it to the public.

I think the flash and show will always be in the choroegraphy/routines, I just think that the uniforms are whats really in question.

Took it, yet, it upset considering I had to answer No, the general public does not view us as a sport....
I totally agree. I said no as well and I think it's sad that we don't get credit for all of our had work. I mean we practice as much as gymnasts or football players or soccer players. We also have just as much injury as other sports (if not more) and are definitely a athletic (if not more). I understand how sideline cheer could be a little iffy but all star cheerleading, point blank, is a sport and should be categorized as one.

The "toning" down of the show aspect of cheerleading. The makeup and the crop top questions - which has been talked about by Varsity for several years. If you eliminate crop tops and the make up to be accepted as a legitimate sport would it still be the same show? Skill wise I believe so. But would it have the same draw without the flash and the bling and attitudes? Being a sport will definitely limit a lot of that which many die hard cheerleaders love. How many questions were asked about Universal scoresheet? Or independent judges not being contracted by the EP's but by an independently trained and qualified judging organization? What about some programs still getting legality deductions while others can "persuasively argue" performance error which is a smaller deduction and can make the difference between first and second place at a major competition. Or even taking away a division so there is more competition? IMO those are greater impediments to being considered a sport than the questions they asked. JMO.

Totally! All though I understand how they could be seen as showy.... They are allstar cheerleading. They are what make allstar cheer so cool and different than high school/sideline cheer. And let's be honest, the big bows, hairspray, and crop tops is what we live for.

ugh... leave all star cheer alone! Why do they feel the need to change something that's not broken? Club cheer has done nothing but grown in the past 20 years! The survey talks about cheer being in the Olympics... ya, that would be great... we kinda already have a platform for that. Team USA, Team Canada etc... the average cheer gym won't be involved with anything like that. We already have national TV coverage for All-Star on different Networks... Everyone knows the USASF wants change to happen, they pushed their agenda on the coaches attending the regional meetings... Enough, you people are already making millions...

Even if the USASF or Varsity or Jammy wants to turn Allstar cheerleading into a "sport" with no crop tops, make up etc, someone else will keep traditional allstar cheerleading around. Maybe in 10 years from now NCA will be a STUNT competition and the Fierce Nationals will be the BIG competition for traditional all star cheerleading.

Back