All-Star Poor Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I see or hear about stuff like parents venting about their top tier gym losing to a team they didn't feel they should lose to, I always ask myself "would we be as appalled if this was a boys sport and it was a top team losing to an underdog"? I bet those types of things are screamed out regularly w/o shame at football games. Along w/ cheers when a quarterback is sacked, etc.

In mostly female sports I guess more etiquette is expected. I just find it an interesting thing.

Lol - I went to a high level basketball game recently and the student section was literally chanting "you suck! you suck!" in unison when a player from the opposing team missed a free throw. Imagine if that happened in cheer when a stunt fell.

Not just parents. Athletes too. It happens. I like to laugh it off. My CPs team got 6th in the small Sr level 2. I told her being at NCA competing with some of the BEST teams is an honor by itself. Who would have thought a little girl who started with rec and is now only on her second year of allstar would have attended the biggest most prestigious competition of the competition world?!? So be happy and she was!!! They worked hard, all the teams did!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little bit off topic, but I competed against CJAs senior 2 last year at NCA and y'all had some of the nicest girls there! We had a great time chatting with them at the beginning of awards! When they started calling placements we even linked arms with some of the girls while we all waited to hear our names called. It was so great, something I'll never forget!

Last edited:
There will always be those parents. I suggest writing a quick e-mail to whoever the owner of that gym is; assuming you have the name of the woman or who her child was, and let the gym deal with it in-house. I try to ignore those comments as best as I can, sometimes they're unavoidable.

When I see or hear about stuff like parents venting about their top tier gym losing to a team they didn't feel they should lose to, I always ask myself "would we be as appalled if this was a boys sport and it was a top team losing to an underdog"? I bet those types of things are screamed out regularly w/o shame at football games. Along w/ cheers when a quarterback is sacked, etc.

In mostly female sports I guess more etiquette is expected. I just find it an interesting thing.

Lol - I went to a high level basketball game recently and the student section was literally chanting "you suck! you suck!" in unison when a player from the opposing team missed a free throw. Imagine if that happened in cheer when a stunt fell.

SO MUCH TRUTH.

YES.

My husband coached HS JV basketball two years ago. I wonder what would happen if some of the things that happened at his playoff games happened at NCA/WORLDS.

Ex: Two kids got into a shoving match once after the game.

Can you imagine what would happen if there was SHOVING AT NCA AWARDS?

I must admit @FlexyTumblerMom, I remembered all the sports my son participated in like basketball and especially, football, when comments like these were the norm... You know, I never took them personally or my son. When you hear coaches or players making these comments, I always figured these statements were more motivational, rather than a direct put down of the other team... It appears, only in cheer, we take these sour grapes comment to heart, or personal...Nope, I will Smile and maybe make a comment about how lucky our team had its best performances on the RIGHT weekend, unlike that other team!!!! Lol

I must admit @FlexyTumblerMom, I remembered all the sports my son participated in like basketball and especially, football, when comments like these were the norm... You know, I never took them personally or my son. When you hear coaches or players making these comments, I always figured these statements were more motivational, rather than a direct put down of the other team... It appears, only in cheer, we take these sour grapes comment to heart, or personal...Nope, I will Smile and maybe make a comment about how lucky our team had its best performances on the RIGHT weekend, unlike that other team!!!! Lol

Yes!

My nephew plays football, basketball and also wrestles. You lose at a wrestling meet, you're salty for a few min. and you leave. You lose in football/basketball, you talk some trash for a minute and you leave.

However, I find that when your kid takes a 2nd/3rd/etc. in CHEERLEADING and all of a sudden, the rules of being upset/salty change:

1. You get mad.

2. You get salty.

3. You walk past like 6 other teams and talk trash about how badly they suck.

4. You cry.

5. You go online and get upset about it for like 8 days afterward.

6. You toss your third/4th place medals.

Why?

I do wonder if the way parents and athletes react has something to do with our expectations for the sport.

Last edited:
@oncecoolcoachnowmom, I laughed so hard reading your post and I immediately thought that cheer has not evolved enough as a sport to properly handled or how to be an appropriate poor sports...haha

I still remembered the games my son's football teams won and the huge amounts of gloating and trash talking these boys will do. However, the games they lost, these will trash talk too and the mentioning of luck on the other team part, everybody on the team had painful boils, sore arms, etc...
PS: Cheer is simply still evolving as a sport and understand that in a competitive sport, who wants to accept losing and gripe or trash talk...

Just randomly thought of the "We're so proud of you" cheer that some teams do after every single award is given in cheer. Lol! After a football game, the winners cheer, too...but their usually much more insulting. [emoji23]

We're so proud of you. We're so proud of you. *clapclapclap*

It always sounds mocking...although I'm sure that's not the intention. [emoji23]

@Fameous MOM Kiana was so proud J! She was so excited that they placed in the top 5 of NCA! Don't let some sour grapes take away J's and Super's amazing win! We were watching some potato filmed video of them over the weekend and they looked so good! Just keep remembering how awesome they did and the awesome weekend you had with your girls and forget the bad! :kiss:

I remember waiting for awards this weekend at NCA and I can't remember which level (either 3 or 4) and they announced 2nd then 1st and the 2nd place team stayed on stage and hugged the team that had won. The announcer even said what a great display of sportsmanship.... See that's how it should always be. It probably happened more than once or at least I would hope but this is the one I witnessed. It's was sweet!!

I remember waiting for awards this weekend at NCA and I can't remember which level (either 3 or 4) and they announced 2nd then 1st and the 2nd place team stayed on stage and hugged the team that had won. The announcer even said what a great display of sportsmanship.... See that's how it should always be. It probably happened more than once or at least I would hope but this is the one I witnessed. It's was sweet!!

Happened at pretty much every award ceremony in the arena. For the most part (to me anyway) it always seems the athletes (most of whom at that level know each other through social media and group chats) are fine with each other and those phenomena happen a lot. It's the parents who can't deal.

I also think competitions like NCA can be a nasty surprise for the gyms that spend a lot of time strategically picking competitions they can win or will be unopposed. Kids and families develop this OMG WERE AMAZING mindset and then get to NCA and finish at the back of the pack and the shock is significant. Sometimes I think the reactions can be attributed to that as well. They don't get that finishing top half (or top three, or second!) is freaking amazing at NCA.

Back