All-Star Question For Judges Or Anyone Who May Know How Judging Works

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mom24girls

Cheer Parent
Nov 4, 2010
I've never ran into a squad competing obviously below their skill level until this wkend. My daughter is only on mini level 1 so it's never really been an issue. Well this wkend we went against a team that was probably tighter than 90% of senior teams you see, and I'm not exaggerating. Not only that but they did 5 single leg stunts at a half and apparently their pyramid was questionable on legality. They still took 1st place with the legality penalties (I don't know if they were penalized for the pyramid but they were for the single legs). So my first question is if you do something illegal x5 are you penalized once or five times? Also from what I understand this squad has been performing this routine at several companies all year so I'm sure this wasn't the first to point out the illegal stunts since it's pretty obvious and not something that was an accident. So is there a reason point wise that they would continue to do the illegal stunt? Also shouldn't there be some rule that if you compete with the same company twice and perform the same illegal stunt that you were already told about that you should be disqualified. I'm not taking anything away from the team and I won't mention their name, they were amazing and if they had performed a legal routine they would have beat us but I just think it's cruddy when your mini's can give most senior squads a run for their money and you compete them as level 1 mini's. This team has taken level 1 grand champions at every competition they have been at this year other than yesterday but that was because they only did one grand, not one for each level.

I've never ran into a squad competing obviously below their skill level until this wkend. My daughter is only on mini level 1 so it's never really been an issue. Well this wkend we went against a team that was probably tighter than 90% of senior teams you see, and I'm not exaggerating. Not only that but they did 5 single leg stunts at a half and apparently their pyramid was questionable on legality. They still took 1st place with the legality penalties (I don't know if they were penalized for the pyramid but they were for the single legs). So my first question is if you do something illegal x5 are you penalized once or five times? Also from what I understand this squad has been performing this routine at several companies all year so I'm sure this wasn't the first to point out the illegal stunts since it's pretty obvious and not something that was an accident. So is there a reason point wise that they would continue to do the illegal stunt? Also shouldn't there be some rule that if you compete with the same company twice and perform the same illegal stunt that you were already told about that you should be disqualified. I'm not taking anything away from the team and I won't mention their name, they were amazing and if they had performed a legal routine they would have beat us but I just think it's cruddy when your mini's can give most senior squads a run for their money and you compete them as level 1 mini's. This team has taken level 1 grand champions at every competition they have been at this year other than yesterday but that was because they only did one grand, not one for each level.

Most companies take 1 deductions for an illegal element performed by multiple groups.

If they performed the prep level single leg stunts while holding on to someone standing on the ground (that is not a base) the skill falls under pyramid rules and is legal at Level 1. I initially called 2 teams on this at a November event, but we got Les on the phone and he said it was a pyramid, not a stunt, making it legal at Level 1.

A team shouldn't be disqualified for performing something illegal at multiple events by the same event producer unless the standard penalty for rules violations is disqualification.

Most companies take 1 deductions for an illegal element performed by multiple groups.

If they performed the prep level single leg stunts while holding on to someone standing on the ground (that is not a base) the skill falls under pyramid rules and is legal at Level 1. I initially called 2 teams on this at a November event, but we got Les on the phone and he said it was a pyramid, not a stunt, making it legal at Level 1.

A team shouldn't be disqualified for performing something illegal at multiple events by the same event producer unless the standard penalty for rules violations is disqualification.

Champion Cheer's mini 1 team did this last year, it was really cool! Question: If a team does their "partner stunt" like this and doesn't do any other kind of partner stunt, do they just not get a partner stunt score? How would this work?

They were not attached by arms it was 5 single leg stunts with just their bases. There was no question it was illegal, and they were penalized. They were called to the judges booth twice and we could hear most of what they were saying because we were right behind the judges table but I didn't know how large the penalty would be. I figured it was just one penalty but my sister kept saying it was 5. I just think it's cruddy that there is not a rule saying that if they tell you something is illegal and you continue to perform it anyway at multiple competitions that there shouldn't be a bigger penalty imposed.

If the same penalty is done all at the same time, as you are saying, it is ONE penalty. You do not deduct that team for EVERY stunt group that does it wrong. Just once. The only time I call multiple penalties on the same sequence is if (for example) a level 3 team were to full up to extension (illegal), then retake, switch up to stretch (illegal). They did TWO separate illegal elements in the same sequence. Again though, I would call 2 penalties on that, not 10 (if there were 5 stunt groups).

Champion Cheer's mini 1 team did this last year, it was really cool! Question: If a team does their "partner stunt" like this and doesn't do any other kind of partner stunt, do they just not get a partner stunt score? How would this work?

If that was truly all a team did they shouldn't get a partner stunt score, but chances are they did something else that could be counted as a stunt someplace in the routine.

They were not attached by arms it was 5 single leg stunts with just their bases. There was no question it was illegal, and they were penalized. They were called to the judges booth twice and we could hear most of what they were saying because we were right behind the judges table but I didn't know how large the penalty would be. I figured it was just one penalty but my sister kept saying it was 5. I just think it's cruddy that there is not a rule saying that if they tell you something is illegal and you continue to perform it anyway at multiple competitions that there shouldn't be a bigger penalty imposed.

Right now there isn't a good system of tracking rules violations from event to event. It's been brought up by the athlete registration system technology team, but it was outside of our scope at the time so we didn't discuss it long.

Back