All-Star Retirement???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with the posters that talk about choreography weeknot only for the kids but the parents as well. Cp hit her "peak" when she won NCA, her enjoyment of the sport when down after that along with mine. When we told her she would have to take this season off she was initially upset but then said "I don't know if you noticed mom but I'm not very good." This was going to be her 4th season as a level 2 and coupled with a huge growth spurt she was struggling. We offered to keep her in tumbling so she could go back but her interest is now just keeping her bhs so she can do high school cheer and play volleyball for her middle school.
From what I've seen the tween years is when most kids either decide to keep going or quit, for any sport.
As for parent burnout I've been there for the last three years. I miss the days when I didn't know what goes on behind the curtain.

^^^^Yes. There is the FAMILY burn out as well.

Cheer at a higher level, like L5 becomes a serious time commitment (heck, depending on the gym/team, a lower level team is a serious time commitment.)

Lots of late nights, long drives, weekends away at comps, etc.

Another angle: Many times, a child's participation is at the expense of other SIBLINGS' activities or family interests.

Example: Bobby can't play travel soccer because it conflicts with the cheer schedule.

Whole extended family taking a trip to Fiji this summer? Count us out because it's during choreography week.

Aunt Patty doing Disney Cruise? Nope. It's NCA weekend.

Brother wants to be in spring play? Can't swing it because it opens on Worlds weekend.

Summer vacation? Oh we are too poor from cheer.

Mom want to do that book club on Tuesday nights? Too bad because you don't get home from cheer until 10.

Jenny's friends having a sleepover this weekend. Can't go because whole family will be at Majors for Suzie.

You get the point.

It gets hard on whole families to constantly have to make concessions for one family member's activity.

Sometimes, you want your nights, summers, etc. to do other things or allow other kids to have the opportunity to take priority.

Last edited:
Both the CDC and the Dove foundation have done recent studies about how many girls quit sports in their early teen years. It is a huge amount. They cited changing bodies, loss of skills during growth sports, and lack of opportunities as they grow older as reasons. obviously, the elite L5s have many opportunities ahead of them, but the other reasons might factor in.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I find more and more kids are taking time off. People need the break. All star cheer used to "take a break" during June and July with only minimal things like tumbling classes being offered. Then it became just the month of June. Then nothing.

Our season ends in mid April and the 2-3 weeks we have of tumbling and new skills work (what we call spring training) is often when some kids and parents will take time off before tryouts the first weekend in May.

We don't travel a lot. We don't practice any of our teams more than 4.5 hours a week. But people need their non-scheduled time to just be a family and do things together.

I schedule breaks around holidays and force kids out of the gym for a week or two throughout the year. They always come back so refreshed and it really helps me stave off the burn out by the end of the season.

Last year, my daughter, who cheered on a Youth team had an undefeated season and won numerous jackets and awards... But when discussions about the new season surfaced, many of the athletes did not want to return to cheering... most stated, that they accomplished everything in the 1 season... Mind you, we are talking about children younger than 12 y.o.
Just curious, When is the proper time to hang up your cheer bow?
Furthermore, is it about winning jackets and awards that motivates you only, if you still cheer?
Are there really that many kids who didn't come back this year? You posted another thread that is quite similar to this one - so I guess I am intrigued as to why it is such a concern for you (not trying to sound like a witch - I truly am curious!). Is it a big problem with your gym specifically?

It's easier for me to see leaving cheer as retiring over other sports because of its difficulty to return.
You can take a year off from baseball, soccer, or hockey and feasibly return the next year or 10 years later in an adult or rec league. The sport and skills needed haven't changed much over time - a free throw is still a free throw. There are available leagues/teams all over. Some leagues expect your skills to be lacking from the time off and that's the norm. You can play once a week or skip a week and not be replaced.
Cheer requires there to be a gym close with your specific position on an open team, same skills being thrown when you left (yeah, right), and the schedule that will allow practice and comp travel. We all know cheer skills are upped daily and even taking a year off to work on tumbling means another kid is improving their tumbling, stunting, jumps, flexibility, stamina, their name is on the coaches radar, etc...
Cheer and gymnastics require so much intensity year round it's harder to jump back in later and be successful per your own standards.

The previous comment wasn't directed to me, so I'm not answering for the OP, but my friends discussed this yesterday. We've noticed a decline in (true) senior aged athletes at our local gyms (there are 3). It looks like the younger kids - mini, youth, junior - are going full force. The older kids are hanging on longer or traveling to find a gym with older teams. The middle senior age group has many who have taken the retirement route. Not sure if it's everywhere, but it's around here.

I find more and more kids are taking time off. People need the break. All star cheer used to "take a break" during June and July with only minimal things like tumbling classes being offered. Then it became just the month of June. Then nothing.

Our season ends in mid April and the 2-3 weeks we have of tumbling and new skills work (what we call spring training) is often when some kids and parents will take time off before tryouts the first weekend in May.

We don't travel a lot. We don't practice any of our teams more than 4.5 hours a week. But people need their non-scheduled time to just be a family and do things together.

I schedule breaks around holidays and force kids out of the gym for a week or two throughout the year. They always come back so refreshed and it really helps me stave off the burn out by the end of the season.
It kinda makes me wish we had a 'mandatory' off-season where there were no open gyms or anything.

For CT HS rules, you can't legally practice as a 'team' up until a few weeks before the season officially starts. You can do group conditioning or free play but you can't have a coach communicate with you about stuff.

Our gym does this too! It is amazing how a few days off makes a difference. I think summer attendance is higher because we are forced to take two weeks off when the gym shuts (the 4th and a week in August) - so parents plan vacations during the shutdown when possible. We also have a few long weekends and a Xmas break and Easter week break.

The one problem is that spring break is different for three of the districts that feed into our gym. It makes late spring comps and showcases harder to plan.

We're just starting our summer break. It's roughly 3 weeks (from now until after the 4th). No team practices. Gym is only open for tumble. We'll start practices back up the week after the 4th. By the time the break is over, everyone is ready to get back to work.

The previous comment wasn't directed to me, so I'm not answering for the OP, but my friends discussed this yesterday. We've noticed a decline in (true) senior aged athletes at our local gyms (there are 3). It looks like the younger kids - mini, youth, junior - are going full force. The older kids are hanging on longer or traveling to find a gym with older teams. The middle senior age group has many who have taken the retirement route. Not sure if it's everywhere, but it's around here.

I wonder if part of that is the trend to put itty bitties on Sr teams just because they are age eligible.

We're just starting our summer break. It's roughly 3 weeks (from now until after the 4th). No team practices. Gym is only open for tumble. We'll start practices back up the week after the 4th. By the time the break is over, everyone is ready to get back to work.
Our gym just had tryouts - after 6 weeks of leveled skill classes - and is now closed until July 7th. No open gym even. I'm sure a few coaches will still do privates but I for one and very happy to have 2 1/2 weeks off just from the driving alone (and we are only 14 miles from gym). The kids need it but I need it more!

Are there really that many kids who didn't come back this year? You posted another thread that is quite similar to this one - so I guess I am intrigued as to why it is such a concern for you (not trying to sound like a witch - I truly am curious!). Is it a big problem with your gym specifically?
No, I appreciate you being intrigued by my pondering... I am new to this gym and somewhat new to this sport. My daughter has retired from one sport (gymnastics) and right now, is totally in love with cheerleading... My daughter, in the short time in the sport, has been constantly told she is on the fast track in this sport, which keeps her motivated to stick with the sport... But after what I witnessed and heard, I am wondering what happens when those dreams are not realized? Will she or I be prepare, if the Shooting Star invite passes her by and maybe she will not be placed on a L5 or Worlds team...
PS: It may not be a big problem with this gym, but the possibilities are real that every year, a new group will aged out and must compete for limited spots...This food chain looks like a pyramid with Shooting Stars at the top and everything else falls below them...Just saying!!!

No, I appreciate you being intrigued by my pondering... I am new to this gym and somewhat new to this sport. My daughter has retired from one sport (gymnastics) and right now, is totally in love with cheerleading... My daughter, in the short time in the sport, has been constantly told she is on the fast track in this sport, which keeps her motivated to stick with the sport... But after what I witnessed and heard, I am wondering what happens when those dreams are not realized? Will she or I be prepare, if the Shooting Star invite passes her by and maybe she will not be placed on a L5 or Worlds team...
PS: It may not be a big problem with this gym, but the possibilities are real that every year, a new group will aged out and must compete for limited spots...This food chain looks like a pyramid with Shooting Stars at the top and everything else falls below them...Just saying!!!
At least you're realistic about your gym's food chain. The wonderful thing though about WC is that there are options for other excellent Level 5 teams which will not exclude you from the top of the pyramid the following season. Many smaller gyms only have one.

I think an off season is crucial. Coaching isn't my primary job, so I don't rely on the income from a year round season. We took about a month off from formal practices, though many athletes attended open gyms on their own. Our Worlds team has a structured once a week practice that started last week, and will go to 2x a week in September. The others have a completely unstructured 'open gym' concept once a week. There are coaches on hand to assist, but they're not required to attend. This seems to have served our program well, as we are continuing to expand

I really can't speak for the total culture at WC but can say I am surprised of here any talk of 'fast tracking' an athlete in that program. I am fully aware some kids do move along really fast and make the senior L5 teams at a young age but after meeting Elaine and having the pleasure of listening to her talk to a group of coaches with a Q & A session. Just seems out of character for her and subsequently her coaches.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

Back