All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One of the groups on my HS team was struggling with full ups (the two bases have only ever flown and the flyer never cheered before) so my coach came up with another variation on the cross leg grip. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do...
The backspot starts in the main base spot, the main starts like a front spot, and the secondary base is normal.
The flyer hops in with hands on shoulders of back and secondary and crosses legs left over right.
The main grabs the toe of the right foot from the front, spins, and has to do a quarter turn to get to their spot.
The backspot never loses contact b/c they can reach around and grab right ankle and throw with their left hand.
The secondary doesn't change anything.
I'm not sure why it works better for them, but for whatever reason it does? I don't think you can even tell a difference from the normal cross leg way if you aren't looking for it. I don't know why people have a problem with new grips that make things more solid. Sure, calling a half up a full up b/c you walk in a circle is sketch to me, but the cross leg vs "traditional" full up disagreement makes no sense to me. It's just a more solid way to do the same stunt.
You can kind of see it in this video - both left groups do it but you can see it better with the back group b/c there's an extra person standing in front of the other one.

eta @Nvdw we learned double ups at NCA camp and I wouldn't say feet were crossed, so I'm not even sure how the crossed feet way works!

How do you guys grip for double ups then? Like a full up and release for second turn?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

How do you guys grip for double ups then? Like a full up and release for second turn?

One foot forward one foot behind her, hands on back and secondary's shoulders. Her right toe is toward the ground, left foot flat in secondary's hands. Back and secondary throw and half turn, main spins foot and half turns.
Eta
Dropbox - 2014-06-18 10.19.39.mp4 we only do a 1.5 here but all that would change is adding a half turn

I would assume they're talking about Great White Sharks from Canada (IO5). Spring has worked with them quite extensively. Not sure though, unless I go dig up their routine.

ETA - They used this grip for double ups, about 40 seconds into their finals run on VOD.

Retired from allstar so I can't say that I have a dog in this fight, but I do coach high school and let me just say, safety comes first for me. If my bases can stay in contact with the top girl for the entire stunt, I am a happy camper. It's so much safer for them to attempt stunts where EVERYONE keeps contact with the top girl, rather than relying on just the main base. I think the new non release grip is awesome, and it allows for less room for error and injuries.

I would assume they're talking about Great White Sharks from Canada (IO5). Spring has worked with them quite extensively. Not sure though, unless I go dig up their routine.

ETA - They used this grip for double ups, about 40 seconds into their finals run on VOD.
I guess I'm confused what the difference between this and the other way is for double ups because they do it just like all of the other teams. I remember seeing somewhere that the backspot starts in the main base spot and GW's backspots started in the side base spot, which is what the other grip is.

I'm not a cheer expert, but I noticed that the flyers legs were crossed in full ups. And I noticed this in 12/13 season. I thought it was just a new and not necessarily an easier way than the traditional way. I was like hum that's weird why are they crossing their legs. So a traditional full/double up has no feet crossed and basses stay in place?

Back