All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Judges count hip rotation. Doesn't matter how it's done (in all-star). College (specifically UCA) counts flyer hip rotation & bases feet. Idc how it's done, if it scores & it's simple I'll teach it & compete it. Lots of things have evolved over the years why shouldn't grips? Just bc this makes full up + easier doesn't mean they are easy. There isn't a grip that exists that makes a double up easy. I've coached teams that have competed several different grips over the years. Whatever makes it hit I'll use (and score well).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

What do you mean by 'dead end'?
The traditional full up grip does a full up. The new grip offers an easier progression path from half ups through to double ups to one leg. It allows more room for growth and innovation not only because it is easier to master, but because it IS easier to master it opens up more time in practice and in routines to add more complicated stunt sequences.

NCA. We started teaching it last summer. I assume UCA teaches it as well but I don't know for sure.

Thanks! I asked because UCA has been adamant that a cross leg full up is not a full up and won't count. Last summer they only taught traditional full ups at camp. Didn't go to a UCA camp this year, so I was curious as to if they changed opinion when I saw that "staff" was teaching cross legged. Personally I think if UCA had come up with it they wouldn't have a problem, but since they didn't...

Thanks! I asked because UCA has been adamant that a cross leg full up is not a full up and won't count. Last summer they only taught traditional full ups at camp. Didn't go to a UCA camp this year, so I was curious as to if they changed opinion when I saw that "staff" was teaching cross legged. Personally I think if UCA had come up with it they wouldn't have a problem, but since they didn't...

I know that we, NCA, were very excited about teaching the cross legged full up because it was progressive and would allow teams to be able to hit the skills safer, and more easily. Of course I am biased because I love the company I work for, but UCA and NCA just have different philosophies when it comes to things like that! To each their own :)

Only reason they say that is bc they didn't come up with it. I ask this -
What's more impressive? A traditional full up or a cross gripped double up?

Sooo...in this grip (cross legged)...what does the backspot do? I'm curious about this way of doing things...might be nice for some of my teams to try this year!

Sooo...in this grip (cross legged)...what does the backspot do? I'm curious about this way of doing things...might be nice for some of my teams to try this year!

I usually toss from the booty (or "under the seat" in staff terms) and catch ankles at the top. That's what works for me. I've seen some people toss from the waist before, but I don't really see the benefit in doing that.

We toss under the seat ;-) This grip really made full ups and 1,5 ups easier for my kids.
It takes a while to get used to it, but when they have it, they have it.

Still would love to see a good quality video from different angles from the Ruby Slipper Full up Grip :cloud9:

Back