High School Running Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 6, 2011
High School Cheer team Runs 1 mile 5 days a week!
is that too much? they practice 5 days.

I dont think so. My team does that too. Sometimes we do 2. Idk im kind used to it now
. . . are you sure? i dont remember running so much in high school :| ( i coach the team) and
im on an all star team and 20 laps around the floor is enough ahah. but sometimes i cant help but feel bad.

. . . are you sure? i dont remember running so much in high school :| ( i coach the team) and
im on an all star team and 20 laps around the floor is enough ahah. but sometimes i cant help but feel bad.
Well if i could choose I would rather not at all!! haha but thats not realistic! It really helps a lot. Come competition season no one is out of breath by the middle of the routine.

My high school team runs about a mile and a half for their warmup. It's honestly the best thing that they do as far as earning themselves respect at the school; the school definitely doesn't view cheerleading as a sport, and they get a lot of slack for it, but EVERY time they go running someone asks me what team they are and are shocked at how much athletic ability and discipline is needed for cheer! I agree that you can never have too much endurance; when they run inside (due to really bad weather, etc), I have them say their cheer while running which helps with endurance too!

you girls were a ton of help and my girls are probably gonna hate it lol.

we also run a mile and a half at the beginning of each practice. if they make it within so many minutes they don't have to run the next day. if they don't make it in a certain time they have to run suicides at the end of practice. i have heard so many people comment on how awesome their endurance is. it really benefits us when we start doing our competition routine full out back to back non stop.

I personally do think that's a tad much. I.M.O. too I think running endurance and routine endurance are two totally different things so the running makes no sense to me. I find myself having a hard time running, but routines are no problem. It's not that I'm not in shape, it's just I'm in shape for Cheerleading... not Track.

We have to run a mile a day five days a week in 9 minutes or under.

Personally, I think its a little over the top. But, I do like getting in shape.

I personally do think that's a tad much. I.M.O. too I think running endurance and routine endurance are two totally different things so the running makes no sense to me. I find myself having a hard time running, but routines are no problem. It's not that I'm not in shape, it's just I'm in shape for Cheerleading... not Track.
Running and doing a cheer routine both require cardiovascular endurance. So really, they are the same type of endurance- cardiovascular.

honestly, i see the logic in wanting your athletes to run, but it really is soooooo bad. for you. yea, its good cardio, but thats really about it. the pounding on the joints is horrendous. ask any doctor, athletic trainer, or personal trainer, and they will not suggest running for cardio. unfortunately things like swimming are not as easy to work around your schedule with. but i know most high school teams like to run on the sidewalks, and that is just.... gives me chills. it destroys your joints.

I totally agree about the difference between straight out running and running a routine; I'm definitely not a long distance runner, but can run a routine, but I do think that it helps with overall fitness. Usually we have them encourage them to aim for a specific time (slightly under what the Athletic Director demands of his Senior Basketball team), but I also like having them run as a team (they don't have to hold onto each other or anything, but they must come through the 'finish line' as a group) and timed as a team effort. Obviously there are some very fast runners and some that struggle more with the distance, but it's great when they run as a group, because they have to encourage one another and support each other when it gets tough.

Back