All-Star Scorpion Help For Cp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

queenie

Cheer Parent
Apr 24, 2014
My cp is pretty flexible and once she's able to grab her shoe from over her head she can hold her scorpion. Her problem is that she can't grab her shoe to get it in the right spot to get started. It's like her hand won't twist or it's too small to grab it. She just can't get a grip on it so she can't maneuver her foot into the right position. Any advice for her? I feel like there must be a better way to grab onto the shoe and pull her leg into position but I have no idea how to do it!

I heard this from the coach of senior elite. They had a video on it. Think of eating an imaginary hamburger. Then turn your outside hand and I like to flex my foot but when she gets more flexible I would point it, then grab the outside of the foot and pull up not in a rainbow.

CEA has some flyer stretching videos up on JTV (their YouTube channel). You should check them out.

Sometimes I get my athletes to put their fingers into their shoelaces because it gives them something to hold on to.

Warning - sometimes it's difficult to get your fingers out and if the athlete loses balance she can't put her hands out to stop her fall. If trying it on the ground, make sure someone is nearby spot her if necessary.

Make sure she's flexing the heck out of her foot when she goes to grab it behind her.

It could be a shoulder flexibility issue.

⬆️ This. It does sound like a shoulder flexibility issue. Have your CP do lots of shoulder stretches throughout the week. My CP had this problem, as well. I thought she was having a problem with coordinating her hand to grab her shoe. But after working on her shoulder flexibility and strength for a couple of weeks, she was able to get it.

Are there any good shoulder flexibility stretches you would recommend? I know I need to work on my shoulder flexibility but I'm having a hard time finding stretches that give me a good result even over long periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can stretch your shoulders using stacked mats/a couch/chair/etc. My CP uses the edge of the raised tumble track. Kneel down in front of the mats (when CP was a gymnast, they had her do this stretch standing while placing her hands on the vault table). Make sure you are far enough away so that when you stretch forward just your hands touch the mats. Then, with your hands resting on the mats and eyes/head facing the ground, slowly push your armpits and chest down towards the floor. The closer you move your hands together, the more difficult the stretch. You can also have someone press down in between your shoulders as you stretch down.

You can also do this stretch up against a wall once you become more flexible. When doing this stretch against a wall, you will use the same body position, except you will have your hands and elbows resting on the wall (if that makes sense). Doing this stretch up against the wall is similar to how you would hold your scorpion. But don't immediately go for the wall stretch. Practice the first one and once your flexibility has improved, try the stretch against the wall.

You can also use a rubber resistance band to work on your range of motion. Lay on your stomach and, with your arms straight above your head, hold the band in each hand a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Keeping your arms straight, lift the band over your head back toward your bottom. If you can bring the band all the way back to your bottom, awesome! Repeat this motion! If you can't, then do 10 lifts with your arms above your head and then move your arms down to your sides. Lay the resistance band across your back, grasp with both hands, and (keeping your arms straight), raise the band toward your head.

You can also do this standing for the full range of motion. Begin with the band in both hands with arms at your sides. Then, with straight arms, lift the band out in front of you, bring it up over your head, and then down in back toward your bottom. Repeat this motion going the other direction.

This exercise was hard to explain in writing, but I think is commonly used by gymnasts to improve flexibility. I bet you could find a YouTube video that shows exactly what I am trying to describe to you. Good luck!

Thanks so much everyone. I never considered shoulder flexibility and I bet that has something to do with it. We'll look into some shoulder stretching and see if that helps!

Back