All-Star Show Some Love To The Ones Who Deserve It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 23, 2010
I just wanted to share a story with everyone that really makes my heart smile.

As some of you long time fierce boarders might remember, a few years ago I had started up a prayer request for my father. He has stage 3 colorectal cancer. And i never got to tell everyone how well he is doing! He has made it into remission for 3 years now!

But here is what I really want to share-

As many you know, anyone with cancer will never be the same. My dad struggles daily, but he never shows it. He never sleeps, but you wouldn't know it. He spends everyday playing with my almost 2 year old nephew, and he is his absolute best friend! When my nephew is older, he won't have a single memory of a grumpy man, just those of his best bud smile and playing with him!
This season, my dad took up a very tidious position of treasurer of our booster board at the gym. He handles all of the money from fundraising, to fees, to cutting a check to the owner. He goes to the gym more often than I do sometimes just to make sure everything is up to date, and he does this for free. I have never seen someone so dedicated to the sport than my dad himself.

Today is his 55th birthday. He absolutely loves Starbucks, so I gave him $125 cash to put onto his Starbucks card. But you know what he did instead? I came out from practice today and he said, "Guess what!?" and sounded so happy. I asked what and he said, "I put the $125 into your account and it finished paying off your season! Thank you so much, it was the best birthday present ever!" I honestly didn't know what to do but just hug my dad and smile! He used his own birthday money to pay for MY cheerleading. He is the best dad, hands down, anyone could ever ask for.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY! I LOVE YOU!!!!

You are correct in that having cancer means a person will never be the same. However, it sounds like in your dad's case it has changed him for the better. I know from experience that he probably appreciates life more, and loves his family fiercer. I would never think one could be grateful to cancer for that, but it really is true.

What a great Dad you have and what a blessing that you know it and appreciate it everyday. Happy Birthday to him and continued good health for many year's to come!!

Back