OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
rsz_224445_475881405768474_1771121741_n_zpse4be128a.jpg

Alright, so I've read through this entire 102 page post at least 3 times already which I know sounds crazy, but all of the advice in this thread has been extremely helpful. However, I do still have a couple questions that technically have been answered before in this thread but I'm still really confused. Any help or advice would reallyy be appreciated! :help:

1. So first off, spray glue. Does it work when bonding your fabric to your grosgrain ribbon? I've read that heat-n-bond works the best, but granted that I'm only 15, I really don't know how to use an iron hahah :rolleyes: so that's why I was wondering if spray glue worked. Some people say it's terrible, while others swear by it. Is there a certain brand that works better than others? Also, how hard is it to work with? I'm assuming it's extremely messy...

2. So over President's Day weekend, Joann's was having a sale on all their rotary cutting stuff. I bought a Fiskars set which came with a 6"x18" cutting mat and 45mm rotary cutter. Is this cutting mat too small? I mean I'm only making bows for myself and maybe for a couple friends but this mat seems REALLY small. It was half off online with $.01 shipping, so I just risked it, but hopefully it'll work for making a couple bows.

Again, thank you to everyone that's posted in this thread for the amazing advice! I'm obviously new to the whole bow making thing but I wouldn't have had the guts to try it out without you guys! You guys are the best :)

Cutting mat
Alright, so I've read through this entire 102 page post at least 3 times already which I know sounds crazy, but all of the advice in this thread has been extremely helpful. However, I do still have a couple questions that technically have been answered before in this thread but I'm still really confused. Any help or advice would reallyy be appreciated! :help:

1. So first off, spray glue. Does it work when bonding your fabric to your grosgrain ribbon? I've read that heat-n-bond works the best, but granted that I'm only 15, I really don't know how to use an iron hahah :rolleyes: so that's why I was wondering if spray glue worked. Some people say it's terrible, while others swear by it. Is there a certain brand that works better than others? Also, how hard is it to work with? I'm assuming it's extremely messy...

2. So over President's Day weekend, Joann's was having a sale on all their rotary cutting stuff. I bought a Fiskars set which came with a 6"x18" cutting mat and 45mm rotary cutter. Is this cutting mat too small? I mean I'm only making bows for myself and maybe for a couple friends but this mat seems REALLY small. It was half off online with $.01 shipping, so I just risked it, but hopefully it'll work for making a couple bows.

Again, thank you to everyone that's posted in this thread for the amazing advice! I'm obviously new to the whole bow making thing but I wouldn't have had the guts to try it out without you guys! You guys are the best :)

1. I like heat and bond - you get the exact size you need and can draw on the paper side.
2. Cutting mat is too small even for a couple of bows. I got a big mat which is longer than the length of the bow before tied. Just easier to lay out fabric and cut. I had a smaller one first and it was just annoying because you could not lay out the full length of fabric or ribbon with out the cutting area being off the mat.

Very nice that you are trying.,...First, leave the spray glue to the ones that are in love with it, even if you do not like or know how to iron....it a lot easier than trying the spray glue. All you need if you are not sure about the settings on the iron is to use a paper-towel to cover your ribbon/fabric when ironing......
so use either heat n bond or wonderunder....same thing different brands. I personally love wonderunder.
For cutting, if you have steady hands, forget the cutting board and mat. I have the and hardly use it (maybe 5 out of every 200 bows or so).
1st - press your ribbon strips directly to the wonderunder. get as close as you can to the edge so the iron do not come into contact with the sticky stuff.....not hard at all.
2nd - cut the wonderunder along the edges of your ribbon Let cool then peal off the paper backing.
3rd - now take your ribbon with the wonderunder and place it directly on your fabric (yes before cutting it). and iron. use steam and press hard (apply pressure)
4th - Now you cut. Use a regular sharp pair of scissors and cut the fabric alone the edge of the ribbon......do not cut the ribbon. Should be easy with steady hands.
5th - now you have your fabric covered ribbon and you are ready to add any emblishments (vinyl words, rhinestone, etc) and bow!

Good Luck! I hope this helps and I would love to see how they turn out

Very nice that you are trying.,...First, leave the spray glue to the ones that are in love with it, even if you do not like or know how to iron....it a lot easier than trying the spray glue. All you need if you are not sure about the settings on the iron is to use a paper-towel to cover your ribbon/fabric when ironing......
so use either heat n bond or wonderunder....same thing different brands. I personally love wonderunder.
For cutting, if you have steady hands, forget the cutting board and mat. I have the and hardly use it (maybe 5 out of every 200 bows or so).
1st - press your ribbon strips directly to the wonderunder. get as close as you can to the edge so the iron do not come into contact with the sticky stuff.....not hard at all.
2nd - cut the wonderunder along the edges of your ribbon Let cool then peal off the paper backing.
3rd - now take your ribbon with the wonderunder and place it directly on your fabric (yes before cutting it). and iron. use steam and press hard (apply pressure)
4th - Now you cut. Use a regular sharp pair of scissors and cut the fabric alone the edge of the ribbon......do not cut the ribbon. Should be easy with steady hands.
5th - now you have your fabric covered ribbon and you are ready to add any emblishments (vinyl words, rhinestone, etc) and bow!

Good Luck! I hope this helps and I would love to see how they turn out

Thank you so much for all of your tips! I have to be honest and say that I was sort of hoping someone would say "oh spray glue is just fine!" just so I wouldn't have to use an iron, but your directions have made it sound more possible than ever for me! I'm still a little confused on the exact ironing process, but I'm sure a little trial and error won't hurt ;) Thanks again, and I will definitely post some pictures when I figure out what works for me :)

Thank you so much for all of your tips! I have to be honest and say that I was sort of hoping someone would say "oh spray glue is just fine!" just so I wouldn't have to use an iron, but your directions have made it sound more possible than ever for me! I'm still a little confused on the exact ironing process, but I'm sure a little trial and error won't hurt ;) Thanks again, and I will definitely post some pictures when I figure out what works for me :)
Sad to admit that I didn't know how to iron either when I started making bows. I still don't really, but I know the setting to make bows, and I promise its SOO easy!!

Alright, any last minute bow makers that are willing to do some cheap practice bows for my teams for Disney? Recommendations welcome!

What do you consider cheap and what do you have in mind!? I can either help or recommend someone!

$10 or so? I think I just want something fairly plain, with a mickey head on it. As cheap as I can find that, since we've already paid about a million dollars to GET to Disney. Haha

Alright, any last minute bow makers that are willing to do some cheap practice bows for my teams for Disney? Recommendations welcome!
I have some cute Disney bows, but what is you budget and how many will you need. PM or email me.

Back