Small Vs. Large Gym Opinion Needed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MommaBear

Cheer Parent
Apr 25, 2013
Just moved to the area and have CP try out at 2 gyms. Never been with a large gym before and am looking for pros/cons. They seem comparable in skills, programs, same distance from house. Large gym seems to carry a slightly better winning record. Need to make a decision ASAP! :confused:

It honestly depends on your comfort level.
One big large gym pro is that there is most likely an age appropriate team for your athlete's level.
One possible large gym con is that since there are so many athletes, it's easy for the "average" ones to get lost in the shuffle. Not saying that WILL happen, but it's easier to overlook someone when there are 300+ bodies to pay attention to.

Has your CP visited each gym? What is her thought?

Has your CP visited each gym? What is her thought?
We are going to the large gym tonight for an eval/try out. We've been doing tryout readiness at small gym past few weeks but my heart isn't there yet. She's 8 so her opinion is "whoever is nicest" lol

Just moved to the area and have CP try out at 2 gyms. Never been with a large gym before and am looking for pros/cons. They seem comparable in skills, programs, same distance from house. Large gym seems to carry a slightly better winning record. Need to make a decision ASAP! :confused:
From personal experience, I'd say large gym. I cheered at two small gyms before ending up at my current large gym and I wish I hadn't cheered at those two gyms. The small gyms tend to have more unprofessionalism (not all, but just from experience) and also much more focus on the higher level teams. At my large gym, the level of coaching is phenomenal, I've gained so many new skills, and the family atmosphere and sportsmanship is through the roof. Of course it's up to you and your daughter, but I just wanted to share :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Having been at both, the main pro of the small gym is the level of personal attention you get from coaches at all levels - even the gym owner knew everyone personally. My CP prefers the large gym, and I would say the quality of coaching is better. She still feels like she gets personal attention as an athlete, but from a parent standpoint it is much different.

Went to check out the Large gym tonight and WOW! I was so impressed. I am very particular so that is saying a lot. We did an eval and she tried out. We'll find out next week where she's place. Thank y'all SO very much for the support and opinions. :cheering:

Did you end up deciding on the large gym? I have been to 2 small gyms and this coming season im going to a large gym and woo its amazing:)

In my opinion, the large gym is large for a reason. It usually means they are doing something right. Also there's a better chance she will be on a team where majority of the team is age and difficulty appropriate. In a small gym she is more likely to get place with kids older or younger and either different levels of skills.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back