All-Star Special Attention

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 5, 2011
So I've been noticing that some gyms have been giving their level 5 athletes special priviliges such as new unis for them but not the 1-4s or being able to come into the gym whenever to work skills but the rest have to pay etc.some argue that it's perfectly fair because they have harder skills to perfect or they earned the privilages by making a world's team etc and others say every team should be treated fairly. What do you think?

I think that's a double edged sword. They get gripes from parents and kids who are level 1-4 when they do that, but let's face it, level 5 is what builds your program. Is what gets people in the door and if you're going to have one, it's got to be the real deal or it will actually run people off that don't want to go to the "janktastic Allstars." so while the lv 1-4 can get crabby about it, what they don't realize is the level 5 is what makes the name for your gym, it's who gets your name out there and develops your reputation. Its the team that brings in those level 1-4s that want to become them. You might have the most amazing junior two on the earth, but no one will talk about it, nor will it carry your gym if your five is a fantastic disaster.

There's a lot more pressure riding on a five than worlds if you ask me and they should get the support to make it work. Plus, they are the elite of the gym and have worked to get there...it's like senior privileges in high school...something to look forward to and work for.

And this is all written from the perspective of a mom who has two kids...on level four (and prior to this morning one was on level three) so I don't have a dog in the fight, that's just how I see the business/industry end of it. I mean look at this board....it's very heavy level 5 because that's what people talk about.

I think that's a double edged sword. They get gripes from parents and kids who are level 1-4 when they do that, but let's face it, level 5 is what builds your program. Is what gets people in the door and if you're going to have one, it's got to be the real deal or it will actually run people off that don't want to go to the "janktastic Allstars." so while the lv 1-4 can get crabby about it, what they don't realize is the level 5 is what makes the name for your gym, it's who gets your name out there and develops your reputation. Its the team that brings in those level 1-4s that want to become them. You might have the most amazing junior two on the earth, but no one will talk about it, nor will it carry your gym if your five is a fantastic disaster.

There's a lot more pressure riding on a five than worlds if you ask me and they should get the support to make it work. Plus, they are the elite of the gym and have worked to get there...it's like senior privileges in high school...something to look forward to and work for.

And this is all written from the perspective of a mom who has two kids...on level four (and prior to this morning one was on level three) so I don't have a dog in the fight, that's just how I see the business/industry end of it. I mean look at this board....it's very heavy level 5 because that's what people talk about.
Congrats to you and your child! And my thinking is that your level 5 team is mostly composed of past lower level athletes correct? So how will that level 5 team look in a couple seasons if the lower level kids aren't getting the same gym time and training? aren't they your future as a gym and company?

Is that not the same as how a lot of gymnastics gyms work? Our gym is gymnastic, trampoline and cheer; the first two having international level athletes. The 'elites' as they are known in our gym, pay a monthly fee and out of that they are expected to put in a minimum amount of time, but there is no maximum. They come and go (outside of training times) as and when they please. If they are working on particular skills or for a particular comp they will be in more and in down period you will just see them for a few hours each evening.

I don't have a problem with it personally, if you charged them for the amount of time they actually use, we would have no elites left. And as 12stepCheermom said, they are the ones that get your gym noticed and talked about. They are your reputation.

Usually the level 5 team has been at the gym the much longer than people on the lower level teams, so they would of course have more perks. It becomes a problem when their extra tumbling interferes with levels 1-4 practices for example stopping practice so they can do their tumbling pass on the main floor. Sometimes owners/coaches forget that those same teams are the future of the program, and should be treated accordingly.

I have cps on both sides. And though I understand allowing level 5s in the gym whenever, I still pay for all the privates and clinics and classes both my kids do. Some parents in the gym don't, and trust, if I could save a few on this, I would. Further, I also think level 5s don't need as much individual instruction time as a level 1-4 might. I can send my daughter to the gym so she can just practice, but it's harder with my son because he needs actual coaching.

honestly its the highest level in the programs that get the most attention they are what the kids look forward to and aspire to be on. at my old gym the highest level they had was level 4 and all the kids looked up to us. we got the highest showing of people when we competed, we were the ones that got the attention simply because we were on the level everybody else wanted to be on. to be blunt i actually think its silly to get worked up about a team getting special treatment, shouldnt it be an incentive to work harder and be on the team and be the ones leading the way having the younger kids or lower levels looking up to you?

I think a lot of it has to do with the level of independence that level 5 athletes have. They've mastered the skills and they're either perfecting or working specialty passes. Most of the time they don't need instruction, just gym space.

If you're a gym like ours, there is sometimes plenty of time for our athletes to come in and tumble. We have 3 full floors so there is room on week nights when only 2 or 3 teams are practicing. However, don't try to take up floor space on a Saturday or Sunday when there are 2 teams on each floor.

Congrats to you and your child! And my thinking is that your level 5 team is mostly composed of past lower level athletes correct? So how will that level 5 team look in a couple seasons if the lower level kids aren't getting the same gym time and training? aren't they your future as a gym and company?
I have no idea what me or my child is being congratulated for, but I'll say this much....our coaches did build our five from the lower level athletes. Basically all of our kids are homegrown and theyre growing mine right now. I have no doubt the team they're on now when our coaches are done with it will be insanity on the mat. And they're doing that while giving our five extra practices, letting them debut our new uniform first and giving them priority in private tumbling slots....so I have no issue with it. Doesn't mean mine are neglected or I wouldn't be there.

I have no idea what me or my child is being congratulated for, but I'll say this much....our coaches did build our five from the lower level athletes. Basically all of our kids are homegrown and theyre growing mine right now. I have no doubt the team they're on now when our coaches are done with it will be insanity on the mat. And they're doing that while giving our five extra practices, letting them debut our new uniform first and giving them priority in private tumbling slots....so I have no issue with it. Doesn't mean mine are neglected or I wouldn't be there.
I was saying Congrats on moving up to level 4 : )

Although level 5 is essentially a programs flash and absolutely a motivational element to the lower level athletes in the gym I think it's a matter of how well the gym balances everything out.
Those level 5's are the gyms "right now",but those level 1-4's are the gyms future. When it comes down to it, it's a business's and perceived value is important. I have no problem at all with some extra tumble time, etc. Especially since those athletes are typically more independent within the gym. My issue would be a program nearly neglecting the 1-4's and being all about the 5's (we've been there). There will be no future 5's without building up those lower levels and keeping them in the gym.

I dont see an issue with it as long as it isnt taking away time in the gym from the lower level teams. If this is the case I dont think it would last long anyway. No gym, no matter how good their level 5 is it will reflect badly if all the other teams are very bad. As long as all teams/athletes are getting the gym time and coaching attention needed to progress then having the level 5 team in the gym a little extra is just icing on the cake. This will be our gyms first year having a level 5 team and I have a feeling those guys will see lots of gym time ;) I for one am SO flippin excited about this season

Here's something to think about....the current lvl 5s were once lvl 1-4 and not getting the extra time and perks! Those atheletes put in work and are now reaping the benefits! Not to mention, Lvl 5 teams tend to have more expenses...just b/c something appears to be a certain way, doesn't necessarily mean that's the way it is!

Here's something to think about....the current lvl 5s were once lvl 1-4 and not getting the extra time and perks! Those atheletes put in work and are now reaping the benefits! Not to mention, Lvl 5 teams tend to have more expenses...just b/c something appears to be a certain way, doesn't necessarily mean that's the way it is!

I'm all for fairness. some athletes put in the exact same amount of work as those elite lvl 5 kids, they just won't ever get there. some kids truly just peak as a level 3 athlete...and that's okay. that does not mean they are less hard working or determined. those are the kids i feel a little sad for in these situations... because they have put in the time and effort to deserve the "perks."

this is not to say i don't really agree with what everyone else is saying. with the traveling and gym time, it is more expensive to be a level 5 athlete. the new uniforms they're wearing were probably pretty expensive as well. but they are in the public eye and can serve as your gyms' walking billboards to help grow your program.

depends what side you're looking at, really.

I'm all for fairness. some athletes put in the exact same amount of work as those elite lvl 5 kids, they just won't ever get there. some kids truly just peak as a level 3 athlete...and that's okay. that does not mean they are less hard working or determined. those are the kids i feel a little sad for in these situations... because they have put in the time and effort to deserve the "perks."

This is my cp exactly. I dont know that she will never go beyond a level 3 but I do know that when it comes to her training and her eating habits she is constantly working out at home on days she isnt in the gym and watches what she eats. Most 12/13 year olds are not that way. Her friends that she cheers with are certainly not. They eat whatever they want and admittedly dont put the time in at home like she does but some of them still progress faster than she does. She will have tons of missed texts and skype calls from her friends who are just hanging out while she spends all evening stretching and conditioning. It is sad for those who just dont necessarily have that natural ability. Now that I have completely gotten off the topic :rolleyes:

Back