All-Star Sportmanship Shown At Yesterday's Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 9, 2012
Yesterday, we traveled to Richmond, VA for and ECA competition. Right before my level 4 team went on to compete, we had an athlete pass out and get taken to a nearby hospital. The competition staff, spectators, and athletes blew my mind with the professionalism, support, and sportsmanship shown.

We are a VERY small, tight-knit program with a VERY family oriented approach. Needless to say, this had my kids very shaken up. The competition allowed us to perform very last of the day--and since it wasn't about trophies for us, we decided it was best as whole for our team to compete the routine without stunts.

The athletes made a HUGE tunnel for my kids to run through onto the floor, and made them feel like rockstars during the routine. The entire arena cheered them on and made every layout thrown feel like a double full. Emotional coach me over here could not stop crying the entire routine, so touched by the sportsmanship shown at this competition. & Even with the 0's on the scoresheets for no stunting, the judges still gave amazing critiques - and fair criticism - not punishment or remarks about them not doing it.

I am amazed and honored to be apart of a family much bigger than my 40 members. The cheer world family that has one anothers backs, relates to the passion and struggle for the sport--and cares about one another.

Thank you ECA, Virginia Wild, Fame, Cheer Challenge All-Stars, Cheer Extreme Hampton Roads, and all other programs that help support us in a hard time. For us, this was a hard bump in the road, and the sportsmanship was something I will NEVER, ever forget.

THANK YOU,
M.E. :cloud9:

This is such a beautiful story! It brought a tear to my eye. This is one of the best things I love about this sport;we may be each others competition, but when we need to, we get together to help and support each other!
Sending thoughts and prayers to your athlete and your gym!

I hope your athlete is recovering well.

We've competed with some of the teams you mentioned and they are all great organizations!

Your program sounds a lot like ours. Family, teams, and ethics above anything else. A few years ago our mini team was performing at a relatively small competition and we were against just one team. Everything was okay during warm ups, but as our kids were running onto the mat, one girl started feeling sick to her stomach. (Gi bug was running through the gym). Our team gave her a moment, but she just didn't feel she could get through it. The rest of our team went on and did the best they could. The other team was nearly flawless except for a near collision during tumbling. We knew the scores wouldn't be close, but we were so proud of the kids for dealing with the last minute confusion and doing their best. Their coaches let them know how proud they were!!! Later, I went to get something to eat and when I turned a corner, there was the other team being berated by their coaches for what their score would be. They were minis!!! I knew that moment that win or lose...family, teams, ethics is what we would be sticking with!!!

She got realeased last night just before midnight. She's been suffering from anxiety and they believe that was what caused it all.

I was so touched by it all. I know my program will never be one that wins worlds, but my kids work hard, love what they do, and that's what is important to me. I was just in awe at how amazing all the other young kids and coaches, parents came together. It was a surreal experience I'll always remember.

I hope your athlete is recovering well.

We've competed with some of the teams you mentioned and they are all great organizations!

Your program sounds a lot like ours. Family, teams, and ethics above anything else. A few years ago our mini team was performing at a relatively small competition and we were against just one team. Everything was okay during warm ups, but as our kids were running onto the mat, one girl started feeling sick to her stomach. (Gi bug was running through the gym). Our team gave her a moment, but she just didn't feel she could get through it. The rest of our team went on and did the best they could. The other team was nearly flawless except for a near collision during tumbling. We knew the scores wouldn't be close, but we were so proud of the kids for dealing with the last minute confusion and doing their best. Their coaches let them know how proud they were!!! Later, I went to get something to eat and when I turned a corner, there was the other team being berated by their coaches for what their score would be. They were minis!!! I knew that moment that win or lose...family, teams, ethics is what we would be sticking with!!!

Sounds like our programs are very much alike!

She got realeased last night just before midnight. She's been suffering from anxiety and they believe that was what caused it all.

I was so touched by it all. I know my program will never be one that wins worlds, but my kids work hard, love what they do, and that's what is important to me. I was just in awe at how amazing all the other young kids and coaches, parents came together. It was a surreal experience I'll always remember.

I am so glad to hear that she was released and is at home. Prayers for her as she continues to recover.

I was at the competition yesterday as well and was very moved by the wonderful sportsmanship shown thoughout the day. Reading your account brought me to tears. You should be very proud of your girls

Your story is truly touching and it brought tears to my eyes hearing how kindness brought the cheer community together. Thank God your athlete sounds like she will be OK and your program has stood the test of what it really means to be a family. Good luck the rest of the season!!

BelieveinM.E. Prayers to your gym and athlete. I hope she feels better soon. And also I happened to be at that competition yesterday, and I would like to say that layout stepout down center panel was absolutely perfect.

This just made my night! She is such a sweet kid, so I had to screen shot that and send it to her! haha :)

I was coaching and cheering that day. That was one of the highlights of my season. To stand across from a complete stranger in another uniform and grab hands to form a tunnel seems like such a simple thing but to actually do it, and have my kids stand by my side and do it with me was the most amazing thing.

It's so nice to know that it meant as much to you as it did to me

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back