All-Star Sr. 5......are They Truly Ready?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it's the same as anything a child shows a passion for and an inkling more than just average talent at. I see no problems with a nudge big or small. While they are out there, many ppl just automatically assume someone who is talented is just naturally that way. When in reality a great deal of those ppl just worked their butts off.

You can't automatically just put the onus on parents assuming they are super pushy and demanding. In several cases I'm sure the kids just want to get better, want to win, etc. But you have to remember these are kids. There's a reason why parents make decisions. At times make kids do things they don't want to do. Getting their school work done, going to bed early, eating healthy.....kids fight and complain, but parents know it's best for them.

So for those kids who want to excel, they may not quite get what it takes to get there. It may appear that the parents are just there for themselves, dragging the kids to open gyms or privates, but what they may really be doing is just enabling kids with the tools they need to succeed. So when it comes time to accepting that trophy/jacket/banner...they're going to look back and realize it was all worth it because THAT is what got them there.

Do we all wants our kids to fulfill their dreams? Yes, but at what expense? Personally, I don't want my cp on a world's team until she is TRULY of world's caliber. She is young and has PLENTY of time to make that team. IF she so desires. Technically she would be age eligible next season. I feel that by putting them on a world's team soooo young, it loses it's "luster" so to speak. It'll be like this. Little Sammy "OMG I MADE XYZ COED, I'M GOING TO WORLD'S!!!" Little Suzie "psh..big deal, i've already been to world's 7 times, it's just another comp to me" does this make sense? I feel by going to world's too young they'll lose appreciation for the enormity or value of the competition. This may not hold true for EVERYONE but for most, starting too young will only give them less to work towards? They've already reached max. I don't want my cp to get burned out, so i'd prefer her to wait to work towards a world's team. She can spend more time perfecting the skills she has, rather than just throwing it because she has it.

my gym just got our level 5 team back after a gym slip 5 years ago and we wouldnt have it unless we had the talent for it ... i mean no one wants to go out there and look silly.. and we arent pushing for a world's bid but if my coach thinks were ready then we'll see what happens.!!!

I think the "rush" has to do with J5 no longer being a Worlds division. Those kids would rather be on a "worlds team" than a Jr team.

im only a level 5 stunter and have a jump tuck, but i dont think you should be a level 5 if your not ready. i dont think i personally should be level 5 because of this, and my mom agrees with my 100 % but my coachs want me there.

parents should have there kid at the leavels they are truly at not levels they want them to be at ! it is very enbarrissing if you are not a true level 5 hitting that floor. kids act the way there parents teach them to be, iv always been tought to keep trying and when i suck my mom lets me know i suck .. i think more parents should be like that and tell there kid they suck if they do insted of encuriging them to suck. if your not a level 5 .. why try to be what your not .. work your way there !

I COULDNT AGREE MORE! its so annoying with people "Trying" to have a level 5 team, and placing last everywere including worlds! why dont you have a good level 4 team! go 5 when your ready...not just because? personally, id rather not embarrass myself at level 5 and just go level 4 or even three, with some of these teams!

My cp's gym doesn't have a world's team. And while I haven't spoken to the owner directly, the sense I get from people in the program is that we won't have a world's team until we feel like we can be legitimately competitive. So the focus right now is primarily on having strong level 4 and sr open 5 teams while building towards that goal.

But we have the luxury of being a fairly large program in an area without a ton of other large cheer gyms to compete against. I can understand in some areas that having a world's team is almost necessary for survival.

I think teams should compete at the level they will be most successful. This applies to all levels I feel that pushing kids to be in a level they r not ready for could cause injuries and frustration. My cps junior team is going level 4 this year although they have thier work cut out for them they are ready to move up a level,they certainly will be able to hold their own in the division. We have all seen teams that r in a level they should'nt be, these routine scare me to watch. I watched almost every routine from worlds and it seems to me you need more than a couple fulls to even make it to finals pushing kids to a higher level just so you can say you have a level 5 team is a mistake.

One team I could think of is Georgia All Stars Senior Coed 4. Just look at their stunts, pyramids, tumbling, tosses, etc. They can definitely move up to level 5 but they remained on level 4 because they have a high chance of placing at the top among their competition. They had an undefeated season in 09, 10, and 11 (not sure about '10 and '11 though). And I agree with the rest posting on this thread. You should not rush yourself/your cp to be on a worlds team. Like what Kristen on Top Gun said on a video with them, Shawn Johnson, & GK Elite on youtube "You have to take two steps back in order to move forward." JMO:)

It seems that some of you think the parents are pushing for "Worlds Team" or Level 5 placement. I see way more kids pushing themselves than parents pushing their kids.

i feel like when kids start to push themselves to make that level 5 injures can be invloved. im the perfect example for it.

I think it is encouraging to see such young kids setting goals and pushing themselves to obtain those goals. Ita a great life lesson for them. I do think that it is the coaches job to be sure they are learning their skills properly and not let them get to a point where they are pushing themselves too hard that it might cause an injury. I do not push my Cp and I let her tell me when she wants to tumble and work on certian skills. If she decides she wants to do open tumble we go, if we are supposed to go and she decides she wants to play with a friend or she is tired we dont go. These parents who push their kids and put them in an extra class everyday of the week before their scheduled practicces (4 days a week) are asking for disaster. Those poor kids are either going to hate cheer or they are going to hate their parents for pushing them! Leave them alone, let them have fun!

it all comes ack to the child and how the child is developed mentally and phsically cause my sister is on Senior Elite with me this year and she was on Youth Elite last year but she has had a double for 2 years and a standing full for a year and a two to a full but she has also been around older kids for most of her cheer career, being a 9 year old on Small Junior.

I understand that every parent wants their child to have the recognition that comes along with being on a "worlds team", however these parents need to take the time to actually WATCH some Worlds videos and see if their child and the child's teammates are actually up to par with other teams......putting the pressure on the kids and spending all that money just to say you were there isn't worth it...IMO unless you can see yourself having even a slight chance at day 2 you are not ready....

being on a level 5 team is probably the hardest thing i have ever done
I believe you have to be metally, physically and emotionally ready for level 5.
Throwing the skills isnt all its about.

Back